Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2006 1:52:39 PM EDT
I've checked a couple places locally... no one that I've checked with seems to have a 9mm CX4 Storm that takes 92 mags.  One place has a few of the ones that take the Cougar mags for $549.  I'd be happy at that price.    A couple places I checked that don't have them price them at $619 and $650.  I wouldn't be comfortable dropping more than $600 on a NIB rifle.  

I've checked out Gunbroker, and found a few CX4s, but they're either too much for the bare rifle, or they have a few accessories already on them, and they're still a too much!  

Anyone got any good ideas on where to look?  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:55:10 PM EDT
[#1]
when the rifle first came out.  what  a couple years ago.  i payed  $650 for it.    

i like this store gilberts

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:58:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I got mine for $600.00 flat About a month or 2 after they were released at my local dealer . Theres gotta be a decent gunstore in TX ? The prices seem to be about the same everywhere i would check localy. And i thought all the 9mm's took 92 mags?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:03:42 PM EDT
[#3]
FMJ, apparently some of them take Cougar magazines.   I definitely want the one that takes 92 mags, as 15, 17, 20, 30rd and a few others are available.  

I'd be comfortable up to $600 for a new rifle.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:54:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Ha!  The guys over at the Beretta forums say I can snag a different magwell adapter so that I could use 92 magazines for about $9.   Not too shabby.  

I think I'll go buy one of the ones I found locally for $549.    
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:00:12 PM EDT
[#5]
www.prodefense.com has some for $589. Located in Webster TX,just South of Houston.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:38:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Somewhat off the question, but it's obvious you all have 9mm pistols and want a companion rifle.  I have beeen thinking along the same lines but have wondered if there is a sufficiant advantage to a 9mm out of a rifle/carbine barrel.  Is there any source for ballistics of common 9mm rounds out of the longer, for example, 16" barrel?  Most of what I can find, say, Winchester, gives 4" barrel data.  I would guess the muzzle velocity would be substantially higher, but it would truly have to be a lot to be worth it.  I wouldn't want to buy a rifle to get just another 200 fps.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:46:52 PM EDT
[#7]
RJ,  a carbine like this, to me, is handy for several reasons.  

Uses the same ammunition as my primary sidearm (CZ75B), which means I can feed them the same stuff

It's light and handy, accurate, and has high cap mags available.

Good for carbine matches I occasionally shoot in.  $10 worth of ammo and I'm set

Lots of plinking and trigger time with cheap ammo readily available at several stores close to me

Good for self defense.  Some nice hot 9mm self defense loads will work fine, and having 20-30 of them on tap from a tack driving carbine?  I wouldn't feel under armed.  

Anyway, I really don't want to have the 'pistol caliber carbine vs rifle' discussion here!  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:49:42 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
RJ,  a carbine like this, to me, is handy for several reasons.  

Uses the same ammunition as my primary sidearm (CZ75B), which means I can feed them the same stuff

It's light and handy, accurate, and has high cap mags available.

Good for carbine matches I occasionally shoot in.  $10 worth of ammo and I'm set

Lots of plinking and trigger time with cheap ammo readily available at several stores close to me

Good for self defense.  Some nice hot 9mm self defense loads will work fine, and having 20-30 of them on tap from a tack driving carbine?  I wouldn't feel under armed.  

Anyway, I really don't want to have the 'pistol caliber carbine vs rifle' discussion here!  

I agree with your points.  The 'pistol caliber carbine vs. rifle" isn't really what I meant - I suppose I didn't really make it clear.  My question really comes down to how much more performance do you get out of a rifle or carbine in that pistol caliber.  A lot of it is terminology - I don't care whether the configuration is a rifle or carbine, my question relates to either in the same caliber.  My application would be identical to yours - a 9mm sidearm with a carbine or rifle in 9 mm.  (And, no, I don't want to start a terminology war - it's just a longer barrel).   So, the real question is, does a longer barrel improve the performance of specifically a 9 mm round over the performance of the same round in the sidearm.  That is, is the velocity sufficiently higher out of, say, a 16' barrel than a 4 or 5" barrel?  I  would love the idea if it would because there is a greater sight radius.  But, if there is only a slight advantage over a pistol then my idea fizzles somewhat.  It comes down to powder.  If the powder burns at such a rate that there is still acceleration to be gained from inch 5 through 16, then we have a winner.  If the powder formulation is such that it burns off by, say, 8", then more length buys nothing.  But, I don't know, as I am  not a chemist, nor do I have the equipment to test.  

Please understand, I am not in any way trying to argue with anyone, just trying to find out if someone knows of an information source.  I'd love to stick with mostly 9mm for personal protection, some light game, and even medium range (defined in this case as less than 150 yards) protection.  Then it would help simplify my overall configuration.  This is getting longer than I intended, and I don't want to hijack the thread, but I think it would be useful information to everyone, I think, based on their questions and comments.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:09:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Rj,

I understand what you're asking.  As far as I know, the performance difference of a pistol caliber cartridge out of a rifle is noticeable, but not super great.  I'm not sure in the case of the CX4, but I'd expect it might gain another 100-200fps muzzle velocity.  I could be wrong, though.  This does warrant a little research.  

For home defense, some nice +p defensive loads would benefit from a little more velocity, as this would help them expand more reliably.  The added sight radius would also help, as would the form factor - it's easier to be accurate with a rifle than with a pistol.   Also mounting some sort of holographic or dot sight would also help at night/low light, as would mounting a flashlight.  

I think the advantages are several, however ammunition performance gain is probably at best not very great over a pistol.  Think of it this way, though - it's more important to put your rounds accuratly into your target, than it is to have some whizbang super powerful exploding tip hollowpoint teflon armor peircing thermonuclear rounds!    (basically, being able to hit your target more easily is enough of a performance gain!)
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:13:27 AM EDT
[#10]
GT distributors has them for $519 last time I checked.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:16:05 PM EDT
[#11]
John, is that the LE only price?  Everywhere else says $619 or $650.  Heritage says he can't get/offer the 92 mag CX4 for $549.  

I remembered a long time back you found them somewhere for a real good price, but couldn't remember where.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:06:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Rj,

I understand what you're asking.  As far as I know, the performance difference of a pistol caliber cartridge out of a rifle is noticeable, but not super great.  I'm not sure in the case of the CX4, but I'd expect it might gain another 100-200fps muzzle velocity.  I could be wrong, though.  This does warrant a little research.  

For home defense, some nice +p defensive loads would benefit from a little more velocity, as this would help them expand more reliably.  The added sight radius would also help, as would the form factor - it's easier to be accurate with a rifle than with a pistol.   Also mounting some sort of holographic or dot sight would also help at night/low light, as would mounting a flashlight.  

I think the advantages are several, however ammunition performance gain is probably at best not very great over a pistol.  Think of it this way, though - it's more important to put your rounds accuratly into your target, than it is to have some whizbang super powerful exploding tip hollowpoint teflon armor peircing thermonuclear rounds!    (basically, being able to hit your target more easily is enough of a performance gain!)

Thank you, and you are correct: the handling qualities of the carbine enable better placement.  A little extra power doesn't hurt, either.  I also thought of the ability to have a better sight, such as a red dot - don't need to be as extreme as Aimpoint quality, but something decent will go a long way.

Thanks again for your help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top