Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/19/2006 1:09:01 PM EDT
What do you guys keep in your vehicle?

I have been thinking about what I should keep in my car. I want to be prepared for just about anything.

Here is what I have so far, but please, feel free to let me know what else I should have.

Some of these are in the glove box, & some in the trunk.

Snow brush and ice scraper are a given.

Jumper cables, 2 slotted screwdrivers, 2 phillips screwdrivers, wire cutters, 2 sets of pliers, needle nosed pliers, tape measure, a crescent wrench, a channel lock wrench, tons of zip ties, chemical lights (the snap and shake kind), DUCT TAPE, a hammer.

2 flashlights. One that takes AA’s (LED) and one that takes 123a batteries, (incan). I always have my EDC flashlight on me as well, so that’s a third light. Then I have a surefire SC1 carrier with 6 additional 123a batteries.

That’s it so far. What else would be smart to carry?

Thank you very much for the help.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:10:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/19/2006 1:12:01 PM EDT by fossil_fuel]
food
chemical hand warmers
water
cell phone charger

ETA: also a change of warm clothes wouldn't be bad. the other day it was 50 degrees and raining, but after sundown within a matter of hours it dropped to 3 degrees and snowing like crazy. if your car broke down somewhere remote and you got soaking wet in the rain, then the temp dropped 50 degrees and you were still soaking wet, you'd be in a bad position.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:10:51 PM EDT
blankets
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:11:26 PM EDT
A loaded gun and gas. That's all.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:15:14 PM EDT
12 Volt air compressor, 12V portable jumper box, small tarp(for shelter,tire changes in mud,snow)
water
food
warm clothes if winter
weapons
first aid

Ever visit the SF, and read the BOB threads? Might be very helpfull
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:15:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/19/2006 1:16:44 PM EDT by macman37]
Tools for changing tires and fixing minor stuff (hoses, stuff like that).

Food (MRE) & water and Get Home Bag
Shelter (tarp, blankets, poncho, emergency blankets)
First Aid (mostly for nicks and cuts)
GI shovels (2)
Change of clothes

Flashlights
Music
Maps
Minor cleaning stuff (wet naps, hand sanitizer)
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:16:50 PM EDT
dont forget the toilet paper

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:19:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/19/2006 1:20:17 PM EDT by TexRdnec]
let's see, what do i have in my truck...................

gerber harsey hunting knive
glock 22
mre's
every tool you can imagine
emergency water
beer
gps
empty beer cans
jumper cables
tow strap
empty ammo cans
river float from a year ago
spare set of boots/pants/shirt
case of 12 guage shells but no 12 guage
peanuts
nail clippers
carmex
asprin/antihistamines

and alot of other shit i'm forgetting about
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:26:20 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:26:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/19/2006 1:44:33 PM EDT by HardShell]

Originally Posted By zoe17:
Ever visit the SF, and read the BOB threads? Might be very helpfull

+1

My personal minimum:
primary car handgun (ready access, where legal)
back-up handgun (pref. same mag/ammo as primary)
long gun (rifle and/or shotgun, I prefer one of each)
good knife (or three)
good flashlight(s)
first aid supplies
jumper cables (batt. pack better still, but I don't have one.. let alone 4) & road flares/reflectors
basic tools (to include paracord and duct tape)
fire extinguisher
small air compressor
fix-a-flat (yes, in addition to the spare tire)
extra weather-conscious clothing/blankets, where appropriate
matches/lighters
emergency water & food
charger/extra cell batteries

This may seem excessive to some , but my wife and I commute (together) about 40 minutes one-way and our primary SHTF protocol (during work hours) is muster at the vehicle (fortunately, our offices are just a block apart) and bug-home/bug-in.

The bad part - for me - is that we don't always drive the same vehicle every day & I have to keep four vehicles so equipped at all times...

ETA: I forgot - a large expandable bag (collapsed, of course) for toting the necessities should the car have to be abandoned. (Many just keep everything in bag that's good to go, I do it a little differently.)
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:27:11 PM EDT
KaBar
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:28:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/19/2006 1:31:03 PM EDT by Ajax72]
Food (MRE's)
Water (about 1 gallon)
Tools (sockets, torx, hex-heads, screwdrivers, hammer, crescent, pliers, WD-40, tire plugs, and vice grips)
Emergency blanket (thick mil type that is green on one side)
One sided blanket/mat (great for pic-nics and keeping warm)
Bowie Knife
Air Compressor
Trauma Kit
Small Emergency bag (Duct tape, super glue, pencil, marker, fire making materials, chem lites, and various "emergency needs" from hygeine to a comprehensive but small first aid kit to a tube tent and small tarp)
Umbrella
Funnel
Jumper cables
Flashlight (always liked the big 6v lantern - does not include what I have on me or in passenger compartment)
Extra booster battery for Cell phone
.357 with 3 extra speedloaders.

I have places in the car for all of these things to stay until stolen or the car and I separate for good.

Often-times weaponry, lighting, and extra clothing is added to augment out of personal habit or anticipated situations.

All of this in a small Honda.

forgot the jumper cables and first aid kit.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:31:34 PM EDT
I keep a tool box, spare ammo, knife, flashlights, blankets, pistol, jumper cables, a few feet of hose (car hose), light sticks, bungee cords. Still need fire extinguisher and first aid kit.

TXL
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:32:16 PM EDT
I figure I get buy with my wallet for the trip to the corner beer store, .45 in case I get lucky and it's being robbed, and the beer that got me there.

On a serious note, if i'm on a long trip where stretches are basically sparce, it depends on the weather and what I'm driving. However, having tools is great when you see a stranded hotty on the side of the road.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:32:53 PM EDT
Be careful who you listen to on this site or you may end up trading in your honda civic for a f350 1 ton to carry all your supplies!

Do you guys carry all this stuff on a normal basis or just on long trips? My daily travel does not put more more then 10 miles from my house. I just can't see having MREs and half the other stuff you guys listed in your post.

My truck is under warranty, if it breaks, i call roadside assistance and get picked up in 3o minutes. Hell, can any one acctually fix any new car or truck on the roadside with basic hand tools anymore?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:33:42 PM EDT
Kitty litter, E- tool, water, tow straps, satellite phone...

--VT
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:36:16 PM EDT
I'd keep a lot of things in the car, were it not for the posibility of having it all stolen.

If I kept my BOB in the car, handy as it would be, I'd stand to lose a good $3000 if it got stolen. I'm not sure how to rectify this.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:39:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RuskEnt:
Be careful who you listen to on this site or you may end up trading in your honda civic for a f350 1 ton to carry all your supplies!

Do you guys carry all this stuff on a normal basis or just on long trips? My daily travel does not put more more then 10 miles from my house. I just can't see having MREs and half the other stuff you guys listed in your post.

My truck is under warranty, if it breaks, i call roadside assistance and get picked up in 3o minutes. Hell, can any one acctually fix any new car or truck on the roadside with basic hand tools anymore?

I won't speak for anyone else, but in my case every vehicle, every single day.

The down-side is that it can be a headache keeping up with, rotating, and replacing the perishables.

The upside is that we are prepared for most contingencies & don't have to make any extra preparations for longer trips, unexpected travels, etc.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:40:03 PM EDT
Sounds like most things have been mentioned. In addition, I also carry:

Cash
Flares
Baseball mitt/ball, cleats
Deck of Cards
Road Atlas (yeah someone mentioned maps)
Empty Gas Can
Tow Straps/Bungee Cords
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:40:34 PM EDT
a knife, a couple ratchet straps, a mat in case of flat tire and its raining, ice/snow scraper, cell phone, tire pressure gauge, lighter, a bungee cord
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:43:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/19/2006 1:50:09 PM EDT by SigSaurP228]
I carry 12 v portable jumper box, blanket, flashlight, small tool set, small first aid kit, two extra mags for my CCW, cell phone with charger. and 6 pack of bottled water. I drive an extended cab pickup, and all of this fits behind my seat, with plenty of room to spare. My Nissan came from the factory with a built in First Aid kit so I just opened the bad and dropped in a SureFire G2 and two sets of batteries, and a tire pressure guage. The tool kit is one of the el cheapo sets, and the jumper pack is fairly small the mags stay in the glove box and the blanket stays rolled up and tucked behind the seat. The only time I leave a gun in my truck is when I am at work. I just leave two loaded mags in there.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:44:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TexRdnec:

glock 22
mre's
emergency water
beer
gps
empty beer cans
jumper cables
tow strap
empty ammo cans
peanuts
nail clippers
carmex
asprin/antihistamines

From the sounds of it 3 week old french frys under the seats also i usally have some traveling with myself also
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:47:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/19/2006 1:49:25 PM EDT by macman37]

Originally Posted By SubnetMask:
I'd keep a lot of things in the car, were it not for the posibility of having it all stolen.

If I kept my BOB in the car, handy as it would be, I'd stand to lose a good $3000 if it got stolen. I'm not sure how to rectify this.

This is why I don't carry anything truly valuable in my truck. No way would I stash a gun in it... The possibility is too high for it to get stolen. I may love my truck but I don't want to get stuck explaining that a gun (even an SKS) got ganked with it.

EDIT: So I don't have expensive tools in my truck either. And my get home bag is a cheapo $7 (on clearance) name brand book bag with some pricier stuff, but nothing irreplaceable, so it doesn't look like I'm the survivalist whackjob I really am.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:53:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RuskEnt:

That's the difference between NJ and CA. Here if I kept a snow brush and ice scraper in the car people, if they knew what they were, would think I was eccentric at least.

In SoCall you don't really need to have really cold weather preps, but you better have enough stuff to subsist you if you get caught by a big earthquake in the wrong place. You get stuck on the wrong side of the county you aren't going to get home for a day or two. So some food and water. Depending on how far you work from home, maybe walking shoes.

Now my daily loadout is much less than my day in the mountains/desert load out. My basic Urban Search and Recue kit (hard hat, goggles, heavy gloves, dust masks, knee pads, first aid kit, GI folding shovel, vehicle entry tool, small pry bar, big crowbar, etc). flashlights. jumper cables, walking shoes, water, a few MRE's. 2mtr ham radio.

Trip loadout adds, highlift jack, shovel, more water, more food, blankets, list of frequencies for radio repeaters, etc. There is a lot of SoCal where "Roadside Assistance" will take hours if not longer to get to you. In the winter, I may throw the snow chains in.

Our environmental extremes are just that, literally I can go 20 minutes in one direction and be at a sunny beach, or a little over an hour (times assuming 10 million other peole aren't trying the same thing) to snowy mountains at almost 8,000 feet. And throw in no-knock earthquakes.

And I never ever carry a gun in the car or truck, and especially never have ammunition readily available. If I was to have ammo I might even have hollow points or other nasty stuff.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:55:00 PM EDT
couple magazines, maglight, jumper cables, and if I am going on a road tripthen I bring food and water
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:01:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/19/2006 2:03:25 PM EDT by HardShell]

Originally Posted By macman37:

Originally Posted By SubnetMask:

This is why I don't carry anything truly valuable in my truck. No way would I stash a gun in it... The possibility is too high for it to get stolen...

This may change before I get home tonight, but I have carried multiple firearms in my every vehicle for 20+ years and never had one (car or firearm) stolen...

(Probably has at least a little to do with where I do (and don't) park, but that's not always the answer either.)
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:04:09 PM EDT
Don't forget the old South Richmond masterkey (bolt cutters).

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:07:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/19/2006 4:25:14 PM EDT by triburst1]
Basic tools(wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers sockets, cutters, wire, zip ties,etc.)
Jumper cables
Duct tape
100 ft para cord
Hoses and hose clamps
Road atlas
Road flares
Cold weather gear(thermals, wool socks, coat, knit cap, balaclava, gloves, blanket)-during winter months
First aid kit
Entrenching tool
4 liters drinking water
Empty hydration pack
10-Granola bars
3-pouches of tuna
Motorola 2-way radios
Surefire G2
Mini Mag light
12-AA batteries
12-123A batteries
Multi tool
10" Ontario survival bowie
Back pack

Kel-Tec Sub2000(compact, light weight, uses same mags as my carry GLOCK 19)
3-17, 2-33 round loaded GLOCK mags(work in pistol and carbine)
100 rounds extra ammo
Norinco SKS
100 rounds 7.62x39mm on stripper clips in Chi-com bandolier
200 rounds extra ammo
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:30:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Tanam:

Originally Posted By TexRdnec:

glock 22
mre's
emergency water
beer
gps
empty beer cans
jumper cables
tow strap
empty ammo cans
peanuts
nail clippers
carmex
asprin/antihistamines

From the sounds of it 3 week old french frys under the seats also i usally have some traveling with myself also

naaaaaaa, i always substitute onion rings
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:02:33 AM EDT
spare fuses.
cell phone charger.
Top Top