Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2006 10:51:44 AM EDT
Since I commute an hour each way every day I get a chance to listen to lots of books on tape/CDs.

Of the many genres, I often listen to  techno thrillers/spy novel like Tom Clancy etc.  After awhile, one can kind of predict what is going to happen.  One also has to get used to things in these books that make no sense  or are rather contrived.  Here is an example.

Spoiler Alert!!!

In Tom Clancy's book Tale of the Tiger, former President Jack Ryan's son, Jack Jr. who is just out of college and 23 years old stumbles across a private investment firm that unbeknownest to him, is in reality a secret private intelligence agency set up by him father to track down and kill terrorists. This organization happens to be tracking the money of a suspected terrorist organization.

At the same time, this agency, which is illegaly tapping into CIA, FBI, NSA information is recruiting two guys to act as assassins. One guy is a Marine Corp Recon Unit Officer just back from Afganistan and the other is an FBI agent who just caught and killed a child rapist/murderer.  Of course these guys happen to be brothers and also happen to be cousins to Jack Jr.

Hey, it could happen.

These guys don't know their cousin(s) are involved and none know that their father/uncle/former president is involved.

So about the same time, these arab terrorists slip into the US and disperse across the country to attack shopping malls.  One of these malls happens to be in Virginia where the two cousins happen to be shopping while waiting for a collegue during a surveillance training exercise.  These 4 terrorists start shooting up the mall and are in turn taken out by the two brothers.

So about the same time. Jack Jr. is hired by this organization, because they don't want him telling his father what they really do, even though he doesn't know his father is involved. Anyway Jack Jr. fresh out of college discovers a connection between the shopping mall terrorists and the money laundering terrorists that was missed by all the senior intelligence analysts who work there also.

They send Jack's cousins to Europe to wack the terrorist money men, but of course Jack Jr. doesn't know his cousins are the hit men.

The cousins go to Europe as a team and very reminisance of the movie The Sword of Gideon/Munich, they track down and wack the sponsors one by one.

However, the organization loses track of the cousins and has to send someone to deliver information to them for their next hit.  Imagine the surprize when Jack Jr. shows up in europe and gets room in hotel that just happens to be next to the terrorist mark.

Jack then  finds out the hit men are his cousins and they find out Jack is the info guy. They all go out for a beer and have a nice reunion.

Did I mention the the boys are using a new, secret poison that is undetectable? The sneak up on the bad guy and stick him with a needle, he goes down with a massive heart attack.

Anyway,  the boys screw up the hit and Jack Jr. steps in and wacks the terrorist.  The world is saved  and Clancy is ripe for another mega novel of the ongoing adventures of Jack the terrorist killer.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:56:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Best part:  92FS as your concealed carry weapon.  

G
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:06:17 AM EDT
[#2]
It is "Teeth of the Tiger."

You forgot that the cousins are IDENTICAL TWINS!!!  

The poison is detectable but after a short period of time it breaks down.   How convenient!!!

You also forgot about the nicknames.  ENZO and ALDO

It would make a cool movie, untill the holywood got ahold of it and pulled another sum of all fears bad guy swap.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:09:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Tale of the Tiger huh?  I thought I was missing something there.   Pretty much all I read are techno thrillers. As quick as I finish one I piock up another.  Waste a lot of money but 1/2 price will give me  a few pennies back for them...
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:14:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

G

Is that so unbelievable? I used to carry a USP .45 Tactical. I carry a fullsize 1911 with a full length rail right now.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:19:26 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

G

Is that so unbelievable? I used to carry a USP .45 Tactical. I carry a fullsize 1911 with a full length rail right now.

Okey dokey, slim.

G
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:05:06 PM EDT
[#6]
My bad, it is Teeth of the Tiger, I stand corrected.

Doesn't the FBI guy carry a 10mm Smith?   Clancy loves 10mms. Someone told him one time that the FBI carries 10mm now all Clancy's FBI guys still carry them.

I am reading a book  now called 'The Hades Factor' by Robert Ludlum. Ludlum has the bad guys carry "10mm Brownings."  The plot in this book is almost laughable.   Bad guys invent virus. Bad guys invent vacine to thier virus. Bad guys introduce the virus to the world and then offer the vacine to the world's governments for billions of dollars.  How's that for an original idea?

The bad guys keep attacking the hero, because his  fiance linked them to the  new virus,   The good guy only shoots  them in the legs and arms so he doesn't kill them.  Of course they already killed his finance but he only kills if he has too.  Did I mention that the hero is an Army Doctor who is also a combat expert and whose best friend is a former FBI agent who is either under cover or gone rogue and is working for the bad guys. Oh, and there is also the hero's eccentric computer nerd friend who can tap into any computer in the world and find anything even after it's been deleted.  

Here's a clue  Dick Tracy, stop driving around in you vintage  white Triumph convertable,  MAKE A POLICE REPORT every time they attack you, and then LOOK FOR WHO WILL BENEFIT FROM SPREADING THE VIRUS .
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:07:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

G

Okey dokey, slim.

G

Actually, I carry a Glock 22 or an XD40 stuck in my belt when I'm out and about.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:27:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

The poison is detectable but after a short period of time it breaks down.   How convenient!!!

Yea, but they're forked:  Remember the terr they hit that fell down and got run over by the train?  The poison didn't have time to dissipate.  My guess is that TOTT II will have some French pussy doctor finding out about the poison.

Merlin
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top