Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2006 6:18:32 AM EDT
Background;

I'm paying $120 per month to SBC for phone and dial-up.

Premise;

I want high-speed internet, but cable and DSL aren't offered where we live now.
I can get satellite cable for $99.99 per month for 15 months, then it drops to $59.99.
I wanted to get Vonage to go with it, but it doesn't work through a satellite connection.
The only other VOIP I found was for business and far more expensive.

Question;

Is there a cheap VOIP that will work with satellite internet?
If I can do this I'm going to drop SBC altogether.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:28:18 AM EDT
[#1]
No. There is almost a full second of latency - and there's nothing that can be done about it.

Check and see if there is a wireless provider in your area. I did, and (despite a few problems) I enjoy 1MB/384k out here in the boonies. VOIP is fine, too.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:38:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I checked on that, and satellite is my only option to dial-up.

There's a truck stop 4 or 5 miles away that's a wireless hot-spot, but that's the only thing within 10 miles.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:57:09 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
No. There is almost a full second of latency - and there's nothing that can be done about it.

Check and see if there is a wireless provider in your area. I did, and (despite a few problems) I enjoy 1MB/384k out here in the boonies. VOIP is fine, too.

wow i only get 1.5 down 384 up.  in the big city of lexington
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:05:50 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

wow i only get 1.5 down 384 up.  in the big city of lexington

If it's by way of DSL or cable, you're better off, trust me. What I have beats dialup for sure, but the provider has HUGE customer service issues, and they know good and well I have no alternatives.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top