Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/19/2006 6:18:32 AM EDT
Background;

I'm paying $120 per month to SBC for phone and dial-up.

Premise;

I want high-speed internet, but cable and DSL aren't offered where we live now.
I can get satellite cable for $99.99 per month for 15 months, then it drops to $59.99.
I wanted to get Vonage to go with it, but it doesn't work through a satellite connection.
The only other VOIP I found was for business and far more expensive.

Question;

Is there a cheap VOIP that will work with satellite internet?
If I can do this I'm going to drop SBC altogether.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:28:18 AM EDT
No. There is almost a full second of latency - and there's nothing that can be done about it.

Check and see if there is a wireless provider in your area. I did, and (despite a few problems) I enjoy 1MB/384k out here in the boonies. VOIP is fine, too.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:38:05 AM EDT
I checked on that, and satellite is my only option to dial-up.

There's a truck stop 4 or 5 miles away that's a wireless hot-spot, but that's the only thing within 10 miles.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:57:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SubnetMask:
No. There is almost a full second of latency - and there's nothing that can be done about it.

Check and see if there is a wireless provider in your area. I did, and (despite a few problems) I enjoy 1MB/384k out here in the boonies. VOIP is fine, too.

wow i only get 1.5 down 384 up. in the big city of lexington
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:05:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By cruze5:

Originally Posted By SubnetMask:

wow i only get 1.5 down 384 up. in the big city of lexington

If it's by way of DSL or cable, you're better off, trust me. What I have beats dialup for sure, but the provider has HUGE customer service issues, and they know good and well I have no alternatives.
Top Top