Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2006 5:28:02 AM EDT
Pick one up the other day and i must say its one of the best made mags i have ever seen. It feeds great and looks awesome. Anyone else had any experience with them , a little on the heavy side though.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:29:04 AM EDT
[#1]
i was waiting for someone to buy one and tell me about it first :) thanks.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:29:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't post about that!   They are illegal!   If LEO or an HK attorney is browsing the boards, you are screwed!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:01:10 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Don't post about that!   They are illegal!   If LEO or an HK attorney is browsing the boards, you are screwed!

illegal , why because HK wants to do a recall them like they did their uppers. HK can bite me! 30 rd mags are perfectly legal and if HK didnt want them sold they shouldnt have imported them in the first place. While HK products are in the top 3 , their public relations is about as low as can be, parts etc. .
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:03:35 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

illegal , why because HK wants to do a recall them like they did their uppers. HK can bite me! 30 rd mags are perfectly legal and if HK didnt want them sold they shouldnt have imported them in the first place. While HK products are in the top 3 , their public relations is about as low as can be, parts etc. .

I know it's bullshit. Even if I was unsure, I just don't see HK turning down people willing to pay $40-$60 for a rifle mag.

If I had the money, I'd buy them. However $10 D&H mags with Magpuls are plenty enough for me and I would trust them with my life.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:05:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Saw somw at the shop...they were like $39.00/ea.

No thanks.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:06:48 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

No thanks.

Ha, that's the best price I've seen on them.

I've only seen them at $55.  They better clean my house and make my breakfast for that much.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:11:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

No thanks.

I'll second that. Aluminum mags, teflon coated, with Magpul followers installed for less than $15ea. is quite adequate for me. If you can offer me a better product in both function and finish for a little more, I'd bite... but $40 is Not a Little more, it's rediculous. $25 is tops for me.

We're not talking about anything rare or hard to get here... AR and AK mags are just cheap and available everyplace, so I see no reason for this price. Honestly, I'd rather have four USGI 30rd mags than one HK.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:13:13 AM EDT
[#8]
If I want teflon mags, I'll buy them from CMMG, a dealer with a good reputation on this board. HK will only get my money for USP stuff. Hopefully at the shot show they will announce that the are going to get into the AR15 game.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:20:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If I want teflon mags, I'll buy them from CMMG, a dealer with a good reputation on this board. HK will only get my money for USP stuff. Hopefully at the shot show they will announce that the are going to get into the AR15 game.

You mean the "civilian" AR game?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:28:20 AM EDT
[#10]
They're nice (and definitely better than USGI aluminum), but too pricey to buy.

I'm very happy with my ten SA80 steel mags.
Much more uniformity than the aluminum mags, and much stronger.
However, they do rust.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:38:44 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

However, they do rust.

You need more mags  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:45:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Since I found out they were class IX (classed as "repair parts") I have swapped my entire unit to them.

They can't be beat.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:48:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:50:15 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No thanks.

Ha, that's the best price I've seen on them.

I've only seen them at $55.  They better clean my house and make my breakfast for that much.

And give me a beejer too.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:00:26 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

However, they do rust.

You need more mags  

I said I had ten SA80 mags.
I didn't mention the 22 USGI aluminum (10 NIB) or the 10 Thermold mags.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:38:29 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I had a load, too heavy, I sold them and bought USGI ones...

ANdy

yes they are heavy !!!!! bought a couple for 3 gun comps. They feel so smooth and function friendly.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:47:16 AM EDT
[#17]
what is the point?  do they do anything that a usgi mag(with green or magghey follower) wont do?  other than make HKoolaid drinkers giggle with glee?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:49:08 AM EDT
[#18]

so, are USGI mags essentially a renewable resource, since you only have to replace the spring when the need arises?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:49:43 AM EDT
[#19]
I thought they were very impressive.

as they should be for 50 bucks.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:50:49 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
so, are USGI mags essentially a renewable resource, since you only have to replace the spring when the need arises?

you might crack feed lips after a couple decades of hard use but essentially yes you are correct.  and at $10-$15 each, I can kill four or five usgi mags for one HKoolaid mag.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:53:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Typical example of German OVERengineering.  

They work, very well, and look cool, but don't offer much over the standard $9 USGI mag, considering the price.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:58:50 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

USGI mags will start to separate at the rear.
The distance between the magazine lips will get wider and wider with each use.
I have about five non-functional mags.  Three of them have cracked feed lips and will not work.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:12:18 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
what is the point?  do they do anything that a usgi mag(with green or magghey follower) wont do?  other than make HKoolaid drinkers giggle with glee?

You can load a full 30 rounds with no issues in every single one. You can take floorplates off every couple days to clean them and not worry about breaking tabs or bending floorplates so much they get unusable. And they just seem to last longer with the constant abuse we put them through here being dropped, jarred in vehicles on the roughest roads known to man, and banged up getting in and out.

For range use only? Don't bother. But having used them here I won't trust my life with anything less anymore. There is a huge difference bewteen the abuse a mag takes back home and what it takes when it is carried with you every place you go every day.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:54:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:57:43 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:00:41 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
You guys paying $50+ plus! @$20 a pop here, free if you know a friendly Forces person.

There is a 20 round HK steel mag being issued now.

ANdy

wait. Are you saying that you only pay $20 for an HK AR mag there? If so, hook it up buddy. I would gladly pick some up for $20 a piece, but $40 is just too much
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:09:13 AM EDT
[#27]
I am convinced and a true believer

Many will spend 20x this amount on an optic, or an extra $50 on one accessory over another (BUIS, grip, sling, etc. ) but when it comes to such a critical part as a magazine, they squeal like a frugal old lady who had to spend $1.00 on a TV dinner.

Overbuilt? Yep.

But thats what separates them from the USGIs

Remember,the USGI was originally intended as a disposable item, and not designed for repeated use, and punishment.

Not likely to convert anyone though. Its a divisive topic anymore.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:11:42 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I am convinced and a true believer

Many will spend 20x this amount on an optic, or an extra $50 on one accessory over another (BUIS, grip, sling, etc. ) but when it comes to such a critical part as a magazine, they squeal like a frugal old lady who had to spend $1.00 on a TV dinner.

Overbuilt? Yep.

But thats what separates them from the USGIs

Remember,the USGI was originally intended as a disposable item, and not designed for repeated use, and punishment.

Not likely to convert anyone though. Its a divisive topic anymore.

I can't understand people who don't like them.
I can understand the inability to buy them because of the price, but many AR owners have 40 or more USGI mags.

It's been well-established that magazines are the #1 weak link in the AR system.
Solving this problem with better mags makes more sense than more optics, lights, rails, etc.

But, I still like the SA80 mags, too.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:14:08 AM EDT
[#29]
I think my problem with those besides the price, is that my usgi mags work incredibly well.  I dont use the magpul followers, just the green followers and I dont have problems with my usgi mags, even the ones I used and abused in Iraq and in countless training exercises
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:18:10 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I think my problem with those besides the price, is that my usgi mags work incredibly well.  I dont use the magpul followers, just the green followers and I dont have problems with my usgi mags, even the ones I used and abused in Iraq and in countless training exercises

USGI mags are (comparatively) flimsy and do wear out.
Just because your current mags are fine, doesn't mean they'll stay that way.

While a constantly loaded mag won't necessarily hurt the spring, it does put constant stress on the feed lips.  I've measured all my used mags and I can definitely see that the lips are spreading and cracking.

I find the steel mags, even the SA80, are much more resistant to this (steel vs alum, natch).
The HK mags are much smoother with a much more resistant finish than even the parkerized SA80 mags.  If they get cheaper, I will definitely pick some up as my first "go to" mags.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:38:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:49:51 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
You guys paying $50+ plus! @$20 a pop here, free if you know a friendly Forces person.

There is a 20 round HK steel mag being issued now.

ANdy

wait. Are you saying that you only pay $20 for an HK AR mag there? If so, hook it up buddy. I would gladly pick some up for $20 a piece, but $40 is just too much

Click on their stock list... they can get anything and eveything

www.imperialdefence.co.uk/defence_equipment.htm

Under 'Disposal'....

"MAGAZINES
We can supply the following magazines from our production controlled facilities:.
30 rnd Magazines for M16 (and other NATO spec rifles). These magazines are made of steel and can be supplied in matt blue or phosphated finish."

cool. I didn't see anything about magazines under 'disposal' but I did see the M16 mags for 9 pounds in the stock list, are they the same. Colt M16A1s for $750, what a cool site, just wish I could get that stuff here
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:58:14 AM EDT
[#33]
HK and USGI mags?... no thanks.

I'll just stick with my trusty ol 40 round steel USA mags.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:01:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:05:44 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

you might crack feed lips after a couple decades of hard use but essentially yes you are correct.  and at $10-$15 each, I can kill four or five usgi mags for one HKoolaid mag.  

You can also kill USGI mags by dropping them when they are full and using too much force when loading them from stripper clips.

That's where lots of busted feed lips come from.

From all reports the H&K mags do survive harsh treatment better than USGI mags do, but most won't be subjecting their magazines to said harsh treatment.

The USGI mags benefit from the ehnancements offered by MagPul. Their ranger plates and old fashioned strap type pulls help magazines survive falls to the deck. Their followers help control feeding too.

H&K's steel bodied mags will stand up to a tad more abuse, but the magpul enhancements make a USGI mag almost as good.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:13:51 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
cool. I didn't see anything about magazines under 'disposal' but I did see the M16 mags for 9 pounds in the stock list, are they the same. Colt M16A1s for $750, what a cool site, just wish I could get that stuff here

Damn... talk about bargain prices.

General Electric M134 7.62x51 MINIGUN. New/Unused £20,000.00 = $35,164.69

UK 5.56mm SA80 L85A1 Assault Rifles. Excellent £1,200.00 = $2,110.04

BAR 30.06 1918A2Rifles £355.00 = $624.173

Browning M2HB HMG's with M3 tripods. Excellent £l,995.00 = $3,508.01

M1 Garand 30.06 Rifles. Excellent £195.00 = $342.856

M1D Garand 30.06 Sniper Rifles with original scope, excellent £995.00 = $1,749.45

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top