Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 10:05:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Fluting works best on barrels made for larger calibers, .30 and above. If you get some custom .300 Win Mag rifle, fluting will be the most beneficial (especially for saving weight). On a .223, it does not help that much, except to save weight.
View Quote

Actually if you took two identical diameter barrel blanks of 26" length , & bored one for .223 & the other for .300 Win  
the .223 barrel will be heavier!
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 1:18:40 AM EDT
[#2]
BTW, when I was enrolled in metallurgical engineering, they made sure we could spell things like "metallurgical" and "beryllium."

Don't cite another man's credentials to reinforce your ignorance.

(SCREAMING OUT LOUD)  Removing metal away from the centroid of a bar of a given diameter will reduce its stiffness and resistance to bending and elongation under axial and radial forces.

Didn't daddy take mechanics of materials 101?
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 3:43:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok.  Let's look at the I-beam example.  Let's say the I beam is cut from a square bar of steel.  The I beam will have the same stiffness as the original beam only at the outer points of the beam.  The center where the material was removed will be less stiff.  If you measure the resistance to flex along all surfaces you're going to find that the original beam had more resistance.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 3:50:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 12:15:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I just received an upper similar to the one described,and they claim 20% weight reduction.
That's one serious hunk of metal hanging out there any weight you can lose will be a welcome addition!
TF
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top