Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/18/2006 5:58:36 PM EDT
I now have a bunch of old family photos that I want to keep in good shape. Some of the oldest are from the 1870's but most of them are from 1890's to 1930's. Some are metal but most of them are on thick pastboard(?) or just thin paper.

How should I store these pics and keep them in good shape
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:04:37 PM EDT
Your one stop source for archival photo storage materials

www.lightimpressionsdirect.com/servlet/OnlineShopping?Dsp=2

and answers to many common questions including

What are the recommended storage conditions for prints, slides, and negatives?

Your photos should share the same humidity and temperature levels that you enjoy. Extreme temperatures adversely affect photographic paper and emulsions, harsh light with ultraviolet radiation causes fading, and changes in humidity result in substantial damage. Store your slides in polyester, polypropylene, or polyethylene pages. Keep the environment cool, no higher than 70°F (21°C), and have a relative humidity between 25% and 50%, depending on the type of film. (Higher humidity encourages growth of fungus and may accelerate the negative effect of any residual processing chemicals left in slides.) Control dust by air filtration and store slides in dust-free binders and cabinets. Choose cabinets made of metal with baked-on enamel rather than wood. When a combination of materials is being stored, the appropriate relative humidity should be 30%. Specific recommended levels vary depending on emulsions and base materials. IMPORTANT: Temperature and humidity levels should remain constant; areas such as basements and attics, where these levels vary widely, should not be used for long-time storage.

www.lightimpressionsdirect.com/servlet/OnlineShopping?Dsp=220000#faqtech
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:09:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/18/2006 6:11:29 PM EDT by mayday]

Originally Posted By The_Bricklayer:
I now have a bunch of old family photos that I want to keep in good shape. Some of the oldest are from the 1870's but most of them are from 1890's to 1930's. Some are metal but most of them are on thick pastboard(?) or just thin paper.

How should I store these pics and keep them in good shape

Not sure about physically storing them but if you want to keep a copy for later use....

Best and cheapest way to store them for future use it is to buy a flat scanner : www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=332686&pfp=BROWSE

They can be had for as cheap as $49. Then scan in all your photos. These things are super sensitive and I've even scaned 3-D objects. Then transfer all the images to a disk and print as needed on quality photo paper. You can even touch up the photos once you have them stored as digital media. Then store the disk in a safe..it should outlast both our lifetimes and you can print as many pictures as you want.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:13:30 PM EDT
One other thing--LABEL THEM! One of the saddest things I've seen is a shoebox full of pics that my in-laws had, from the early 1900s of their families--and no one knew who these people were. Not one pic had any names, dates, places, etc., so these family pictures might as well have been cut out of magazines for the utility to the family.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:49:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By limaxray:
One other thing--LABEL THEM! One of the saddest things I've seen is a shoebox full of pics that my in-laws had, from the early 1900s of their families--and no one knew who these people were. Not one pic had any names, dates, places, etc., so these family pictures might as well have been cut out of magazines for the utility to the family.

My great grandmother, grandmother and my mom have labeled many of them so I know who most of them are.
Top Top