Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/18/2006 4:55:58 PM EDT
I have a couple (one is on loan to my Brother) Canon Digital (S100 & S110) Cameras.

They take OK pics, but I have noticed that the batteries only get 5 to 10 pics before the low battery warning occurs on the camera and it shuts down.

I have about 6 batteries total among the cameras, and it seems to occur on both cameras with all the batteries. I also have the factory charger and 2 aftermarket chargers (have used all to the same effect).

The cameras and batteries are probably 3 - 4 years old.

Is it likely memory effect in the batteries? Any way to avoid this if I get replacement batteries?

As I am writing this, I put on of the "dead" batteries in the charger and it reads green (fully charged) in only 10 minutes.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!

AFARR
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:58:53 PM EDT
If they are NiCads, yes.

NiMh are not subject to "memory effect".

But, eventually all batteries go bad.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:14:56 PM EDT
Those cameras use Lithium Ion. No memory effect there. Li-Ion have a life of 500 cycles, more if you don't drain them down all the way. To get the best life out of your next set, you should put them on the charger as often as possible. Taking them down all the way constantly shortens their life. Since you get the same results with different chargers, it must be the batteries are just spent and need replacement. The replacements are pretty cheap since I picked some up for the S100 for around $5 each and they have higher capacity as well. As far as "memory effect", it affects both Nicad and NiMH, but less so with NiMH.
Top Top