[#1]
guy pearce.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:28:40 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
How about Keifer Sutherland as Clarke?

too old

For this one yes, but if they were to do Rainbow Six, Sutherland would almost be perfect.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:33:48 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
guy pearce.

hmm.  That's a thought.  He was good in Memento and The Time Machine (even if the rest of Time Machine sucked ass).
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:20:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
guy pearce.

No way... I haven't seen him in anything that has made him all that likeable. I want an actor who has the charisma that is needed for a good hero.

Plus, he's a little old, isn't he?

I don't think he has the SEAL look. Looks more like an intel weanie.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:31:31 AM EDT
[#5]
when's it gonna be set, vietnam era? are they gonna have him meet john ryan's dad in the flick? i haven't really liked any of the movies...course, i didn't really like any of the books either! except for "cardinal in the kremlin" and "red storm rising"...

i know, "heretic!"
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:45:04 AM EDT
[#6]
They are probably going to hack this one up too.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:50:14 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Eric Bana. Did alright in BHD.

That's who came to my mind.  I was scrolling the thead to see if anyone else thought so too.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:59:05 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Sounds like your run of the mill, regular guy turned covert killer assassin while all the women and people he loves get chopped down by baddies who he avenges with great style kind of story.

Does he cure cancer anywhere along the line?

Swingset, SERIOUSLY, read the book.  It's what you think but NOT LIKE what you think.  Without Remorse is Tom Clancy's finest novel.  Believe it or not, the are many scenes in the book where Clark gets himself into a lot of trouble because he is using what he learned as a SEAL and earlier as a Machinist's Mate in a fashion totally unsuited to what he is doing.

Without Remorse is one of the most blod curdling, chilling novels of revenge I have ever read.  It's just plain brutal.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:08:52 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
guy pearce.

hmm.  That's a thought.  He was good in Memento and The Time Machine (even if the rest of Time Machine sucked ass).

WTF? Are you kidding? The Time Machine was one of the worst movies I have ever seen and Guy Pierce was part of the reason. Although I did like him in LA Confidential(one of my favs).
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:12:24 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
guy pearce.

No way... I haven't seen him in anything that has made him all that likeable. I want an actor who has the charisma that is needed for a good hero.

Everyone is saying the SEAL "look".  Yet most of the quotes I have read or arf.com say that when members actually meet a SEAL (bonafide and verified, not just your joe at the pawn shop) they would not have known.  So what is the SEAL look?  Honest question not being an asshole.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:15:29 AM EDT
[#11]
i can't believe nobody mentioned how they screwed up Patriot Games too.  PC PC PC  yuck
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:19:36 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I actually liked Liev Schreiber in Sum of All Fears....I thought he made a good Clark....

Me, too... but I think we are in the distinct minority.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:20:51 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
guy pearce.

Everyone is saying the SEAL "look".  Yet most of the quotes I have read or arf.com say that when members actually meet a SEAL (bonafide and verified, not just your joe at the pawn shop) they would not have known.  So what is the SEAL look?  Honest question not being an asshole.

I have met one real deal SEAL that I can think of....I was a kid, and he was a dive buddy of my dads, and a swim instructor (for kids) at the Y where the in pool portions of the PADI course were taught. He and my dad helped out with the dive classes, and I always went along to hang with the divers and swim. Very ordinary looking, cheesy mustache, wore glasses, kind of scrawny looking (but fit)...definitely not an Ahnuld type....

Very gentle and patient, helped me out with my swimming and slight fear of the water. He didn't shout or scream at the kids he was working with, ever. Spent extra time with anyone who needed or wanted it.

I would've never guessed he was a SEAL, in fact when my dad told me I didn't believe him...I figured a SEAL would look like Ahnuld, and be carrying an M60E3 with him at all times

Really, they run the gamut from Ahnuld types to meek looking mild mannered guys.....
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:23:19 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I actually liked Liev Schreiber in Sum of All Fears....I thought he made a good Clark....

Me, too... but I think we are in the distinct minority.

Yeah, I don't get it, I thought he had the right look, I liked his quiet, even demeanor. From what I recall in the book (its been awhile since I read it, I may have to pull it out) Clark always seemed to be cool and in control, even when raging.

I think Liev has that quiet, even look, but with that hint of fuck with me and I'll kill you air about him that would be perfect....
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:27:55 AM EDT
[#15]
I should say "Hollywood SEAL". You're right... most SEALs look like anyone else. It's not like they walk around and you can pick them out of a crowd or something.

The one's I've met I knew they were SEALs before seeing them face to face. When I met them I wasn't surprised.... they just had something about them.

When I think of Navy guys in general I think of a guy who's a little salty and leathery/sun beaten looking. A lot of Navy guys I've known (older ones anyway, that have been to sea) look a little leathery in the face.

If any of that makes any sense...
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:32:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Given the current state of Hollywood, we'll see Heath Ledger as Clark
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:34:21 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
How about Keifer Sutherland as Clarke?

too old

Yup.

Kelly was like 27 or 28.

If they get someone over 40 to play the part, they will surely fuck the movie up.  That counts out Adam Baldwin, he isn't a great actor anyway.  Thomas Jane is pushing it... besides, he already played a vengeful character in The Punisher.  Christian Bale is the best KNOWN actor for the job.  They need to find an unknown with a lot of skill to play Kelly.

Cole Hauser is a possibility.
www.bloody-disgusting.com/images/features/cave/cave1.jpg

Brian Van Holt is another, they have a way of making him look a lot younger in movies.
gfx.filmweb.pl/p/48108/po.80979.jpg

Johnny Messner (Tears Of The Sun)
the.oc.free.fr/photos/johnny06.jpg

There are a lot of small-time actors that could play the part.  Their acting ability has to be pretty good to pull it off, though.

Hollywood will probably cast Vin Diesel and fuck the whole thing up right from the start.

Casper Van Diem??
www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Makeup/5455/casper/CASP2.JPG

Honest... he sounds like a pussy and is too much of a pretty boy.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:35:26 AM EDT
[#18]
i'll play the part of clark! i'm young, and good looking! but y'all are probably right, they'll fuck it up. i hope they don't set it in modern times. the book was set in the 60's, and that's where the movie needs to be set. if done right, it'll be a kick ass flick. i also want to see cardinal of the kremlin done into a GOOD movie as well.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:37:09 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I wonder if they will change the bad guys so as not to offend anyone like in Sum of all fears.

and now 24, too.  I guess the pressure was too much last season.  We now have to have a multicultural terrorism threat.  

I'm not scared of Russians in bomb belts.  I AM scared of ROPers in bomb belts.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:46:13 AM EDT
[#20]
NO TO DEFOE! NO TO DEFOE!  you all are thinking too thin and tall.  IIRC, Clancy creates him kinda bulky and squat, no?  I see Ed Harris if he works out and puts on about 30 pounds of chest, ,maybe the guy who played the punisher if he puts on a few too?  Isn't clark supposed ot be barrel chested?  I could eat defoe and THEN ahve a steak.

And why do they need a screenwriter?  Just do the GOSHDARNED BOOK!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:55:03 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
NO TO DEFOE! NO TO DEFOE!  you all are thinking too thin and tall.  IIRC, Clancy creates him kinda bulky and squat, no?  I see Ed Harris if he works out and puts on about 30 pounds of chest, ,maybe the guy who played the punisher if he puts on a few too?  Isn't clark supposed ot be barrel chested?  I could eat defoe and THEN ahve a steak.

Well, unfortunately because if they did that, you'd end up with an 8 hour movie. And while you and I and many others here would line up and suffer a sore ass to see it....it would never make any money, and since thats the bottom line in Hollyweird, well, you do the math  

But, hopefully they will find someone who can adapt it well....

And it will only work if they actually follow the book, not change everything but the basic plot like they usually do.

I will say this....the BEST Clancy novel to do as a movie...and this one would have to be a TV  miniseries...at least 12 hours long....is....

RED STORM RISING     !!!!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:56:07 AM EDT
[#22]

You guys are all thinking way too old.  Kelly/Clark was a young Vietnam vet in the book.  Think of what the 2nd or 3rd tour guys in Iraq and Afghanistan look like now.

Chiklis?  Ed Harris?  Cripes.  Why not Fish from Barney Miller or maybe Wilford Brimley?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:11:10 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
You guys are all thinking way too old.  Kelly/Clark was a young Vietnam vet in the book.  Think of what the 2nd or 3rd tour guys in Iraq and Afghanistan look like now.

Chiklis?  Ed Harris?  Cripes.  Why not Fish from Barney Miller or maybe Wilford Brimley?

Speaking of old Wilford....     Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins came on the other night while I was in chat. I commented that I just couldn't see Wilford as the head of an uber-secretive underground organization bent on protecting the free world.

Maybe Fred Ward should do the role?

ETA:

Speaking of Fred, maybe they can really pull out all the stops and get Michael Gross to do it!

That's right! Ol' Burt Gummer assassinating drug dealers and pimps!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:19:21 AM EDT
[#24]
they will cast Colin Farrel, they are putting him in every big budget piece of shit. how many movies does that asshole have to ruin before the quit putting him in movies. it will be farrel or dicaprio
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:19:57 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Well, unfortunately because if they did that, you'd end up with an 8 hour movie. And while you and I and many others here would line up and suffer a sore ass to see it....it would never make any money, and since thats the bottom line in Hollyweird, well, you do the math  

I'd see it three or four times to make up for the others who wouldn't!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:23:19 AM EDT
[#26]
I'll take the 3 or 4 hours to watch it if it's good...

Right now I hope it won't suck.

-LeadPumper
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:24:50 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Speaking of old Wilford....     Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins came on the other night while I was in chat. I commented that I just couldn't see Wilford as the head of an uber-secretive underground organization bent on protecting the free world...

I know you're just poking fun, but (knowingly or not) you've brought up another great example of casting a well-established literary character without regard to the way the charcter is described in print.  When that movie was made, the Destroyer series was well into the second half of its first 100 paperbacks and "Harold Smith" was always described as tall, thin, "grey-looking" man, the last person you'd ever think had an OSS background and headed the most secret gov't agency in America... Wilford Brimley he wasn't!

I fear that Without Remorse will probably be cast with the same disregard...
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:30:50 AM EDT
[#28]
I think Christian Bale would be a good choice. The guy from Tears of the Son is another good one. Maybe Cole Hauser or the guy that played Strucker in BHD. Probably couldn't go wrong with any of those.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:39:58 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Way, way, way too long, I'm afraid. 8 hours is a vast understatement IMHO. The book is, what, 800 pages long? It'd take several days to get everything. And even then, they'd have to change some things around subtly to account for things written in the third person, e.g. "Kelly thought...", and descripe the movements of characters and props.

+1 on Defoe, though. He looked way too weenie to play Clark, IMHO.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:45:12 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I wonder if they will change the bad guys so as not to offend anyone like in Sum of all fears.

and now 24, too.  I guess the pressure was too much last season.  We now have to have a multicultural terrorism threat.  

I'm not scared of Russians in bomb belts.  I AM scared of ROPers in bomb belts.

Those "Russians" are Chechens and are indeed ROP...
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:50:02 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Speaking of old Wilford....     Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins came on the other night while I was in chat. I commented that I just couldn't see Wilford as the head of an uber-secretive underground organization bent on protecting the free world...

I know you're just poking fun, but (knowingly or not) you've brought up another great example of casting a well-established literary character without regard to the way the charcter is described in print.  When that movie was made, the Destroyer series was well into the second half of its first 100 paperbacks and "Harold Smith" was always described as tall, thin, "grey-looking" man, the last person you'd ever think had an OSS background and headed the most secret gov't agency in America... Wilford Brimley he wasn't!

I fear that Without Remorse will probably be cast with the same disregard...

Only half joking. I thought that movie was a hoot, and I seem to remember some graphic novel serials (ala Savage Sword of Conan) based on it coming out maybe in the late 80s?

Now that I know all that's based off a series of novels, I've got some reading to do.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:03:42 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Casper Van Diem??
www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Makeup/5455/casper/CASP2.JPG

Tell me you're joking. The only thing he's been good in that I can think of was Starship Troopers. Everything else, he's like the kiss of death for an already shit sandwich of a movie.

Quoted:
they will cast Colin Farrel, they are putting him in every big budget piece of shit. how many movies does that asshole have to ruin before the quit putting him in movies. it will be farrel or dicaprio

God forbid... I didn't mind him in S.W.A.T. I won't see The New World because he's in it. He's mediocre at best as an actor...
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:11:54 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
How about Christian Bale? Didn't suck as Batman.

I vote for christian bale too. that guy has the whole pissed off at everyone and now some's gonna get fucked up for it look down pat.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:55:55 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Only half joking. I thought that movie was a hoot, and I seem to remember some graphic novel serials (ala Savage Sword of Conan) based on it coming out maybe in the late 80s?

Now that I know all that's based off a series of novels, I've got some reading to do.

Great reading - NOT great literature, mind you, but fun, light reading with some really good, biting social and political satire.  I read them from the time they first came out (I was a child) until the original authors quit writing the paperbacks and the quality  - IMHO - dropped.  (The series was created by Warren Murphy and Richard Sapir, if you have trouble finding them.)

(And yes, I have the old "graphic novels" as well. )

SORRY for the mini-hijack.  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top