Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2006 4:33:10 PM EDT
Okay, I am in the early stage at age 56. Gleason score =6. Last psa = 6.5. One out of 12 samples on my biopsy were cancer. I am considering seed implants or HDR. Naturally I want cured of the disease but I want to maintain a sex life and bladder control. I do manual labor for a living. All opinions and experiences welcome. We can discuss this by regular email if you would like. Click on I/M or email above. I see a good Pittsburgh doc at Shadyside Hospital (UPMC)on January 25th. Looking for a heads up before then.

Thanks, Dave McGrath
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:00:44 PM EDT
[#1]
What symptoms lead you to get checked for prostate cancer?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:05:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't answer your questions, Mr. McGrath.

But I certainly do wish you a speedy recovery.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:11:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Is a brown ribbon appropriate?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:20:37 PM EDT
[#4]
My dad just underwent the seed implants.  I think he had 88 seeds implanted and it took about 3 hours or so.  He was in recovery for about 2 hours and then went home.  He was sore for about a week and was almost back to normal after that.  The only thing different is he has to urinate more frequently now, mostly due to the medication and the enlarged prostate.

He too was worried about maintaining his sex life and bladder control.  He choose this route because after looking at all of the other options, this one seemed to be the best for him.

If I remember correctly he was a 4 on the Gleason scale and is 55 years old.  I don't remeber what his PSA level was but may have been close to yours.

One thing to ask your doctor about is the size of your prostate.  My dads was enlarged, which is normal with prostate cancer but his doctor would not operate due to it being "larger" than normal.  He had to get a shot to help reduce the size of the prostate which lasted 3 months.  Luckily the shot did what it was suppose to and the prostate had reduced in size by a third.  If it hadn't, he would have had to get another shot and wait 3 to 5 more months before he could start the actual treatment.

I hope this helps.

Nick
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:22:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Dave:

I have nothing to offer but encouragement.  Just like in HP, stay focused on the goal.

SRM
(should probably get checked as well.......)
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:23:13 PM EDT
[#6]
You got e-mail
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:31:04 PM EDT
[#7]
You do have a lot of options in front of you right now.  Your physicians will(should) point you in the correct direction but ultimately the decision is up to you as far as treatment options.  In my opinion treatment should also factor in your current age.  I know that your Gleason score was 6, do you know the staging results from the pathology report?  If you have any questions please feel free to IM me.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:34:35 PM EDT
[#8]
My grandpa died from pc when I was less than a year old.

Hope everything is OK
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:39:41 PM EDT
[#9]
All men after age 38- 40 should be taking
500mg of saw palmetto pills at least twice a day.
Cheap too.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:39:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks Nick. I appreciate the info.

Dave McGrath
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:52:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Well I don't have nothings to offer but prayers for a speedy recovery
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:06:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
What symptoms lead you to get checked for prostate cancer?

I dont think there are "Early Symptoms" that would still be in a comfortable safe zone. You get a first time check that is compared to a second and third and so on. If you are over 35 you should be getting checked every year.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:19:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks to all!
Here's the deal. I feel great. I am in excellant health for my age (56). Don't smoke etc. I take no meds nor do I have any urninary problems. No high blood pressure or anything that most guys my age have. I get cancer!
Form what I have learned and I hope this is a heads up to those of you who are getting up in age, this cancer is slow growing. For me, a psa test caught this in a early stage. I do have options at this point. I have learned a great deal from many of you as well as from those I know that have or have had it. None of the options are without risks or complications. It's good to get feed back from those that have had treatment.
My bottom line here would be this. If your dad had prostate cancer you should get tested yearly beginning at age 40-45. All men should get a exam and psa test yearly beginning at age 50. Take note. One out of every six males will get prostate cancer in their life time.
If nothing else, I hope my post makes you fella's aware of this type of cancer.

Dave McGrath
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:37:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
If nothing else, I hope my post makes you fella's aware of this type of cancer.

Dave McGrath

I'm so 'aware' of cancer it bothers me.

All 4 grandparents died from cancer.

Father is a 5 year colon cancer survivor.

Mother is still healthy.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:22:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I wish you all the best Dave.

ETA

I watched my Grandad die of cancer, I was in the room when he took his last breath.
While it was bone cancer, and not prostate cancer, it's still not something you want to fuck around with.

Do what ever you can!!

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:04:50 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Thanks Nick. I appreciate the info.

Dave McGrath

Anything to help.  If you need anything else, feel free to IM or email me.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:39:43 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I am considering seed implants or HDR. Naturally I want cured of the disease but I want to maintain a sex life and bladder control.

If I had prostate cancer, the only place I'd get treated is Loma Linda's Protron Treatment Center.  When I was there getting treated for another type of cancer, the prostate patients I talked to were thrilled to not suffer problems with impotance and incontinence.

BTW, my treatments were completely successful and all traces are still gone six years later.  The treatments proposed by the other oncologists were barbaric and involved removing parts of my anatomy that I was still attached to, and then enduring radiation and/or chemo that probably would have killed me.  Instead I merely sat in front of the accelerator a few times and I was cured.  All my parts are intact and still work like they should.  Those protons do some amazing shit.  Check it out before commiting to another treatment regimine.  It's worth the trip to California.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:50:49 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I am considering seed implants or HDR. Naturally I want cured of the disease but I want to maintain a sex life and bladder control.

If I had prostate cancer, the only place I'd get treated is Loma Linda's Protron Treatment Center.  When I was there getting treated for another type of cancer, the prostate patients I talked to were thrilled to not suffer problems with impotance and incontinence.

BTW, my treatments were completely successful and all traces are still gone six years later.  The treatments proposed by the other oncologists were barbaric and involved removing parts of my anatomy that I was still attached to, and then enduring radiation and/or chemo that probably would have killed me.  Instead I merely sat in front of the accelerator a few times and I was cured.  All my parts are intact and still work like they should.  Those protons do some amazing shit.  Check it out before commiting to another treatment regimine.  It's worth the trip to California.

I agree.  Brachytherapy (seeds) have their purpose but I would couple that (brachy-boost) with external beam radiation and hormonal therapy.  Surgery would be a last resort.  Brachytherapy is not always an option and that depends on several factors including the size of the gland.

That's just my opinion, I am not a doctor.  Look at the research.  Most importantly...

I hope you do well.

Best wishes,

otto
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:51:44 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wrangler, Good question.  Best wishes to you and for the success of your treatment.

Javaman, Thanks.  Family member is deciding what to do.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:02:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Good Luck Dave!!!!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:09:49 PM EDT
[#21]
My brother at 48 years old had stage 4 prostate cancer. He had the "aggressive" type and had to do some pretty radical things. He had his prostate removed along with a few lymph nodes. He also went through chemo, radiation and hormone therapy. They also installed a pump so he could have a semi-normal relationship with his wife. 3 years later he's still cancer free. Now, my dad is battling lung cancer and going through chemo and radiation.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:28:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Best information resource I know of is on usenet..alt.support. cancer. prostate.
Check Barnes & Nobles for two books, one by Walsh and one by Strum

Good video...
http://uwtv.org/programs/displayevent.asp?rid=2051
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:48:58 PM EDT
[#23]
email sent.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:58:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for sharing, prostate cancer is an unfortunate reality that we all have to deal with.  Good luck with everything.  Sounds like you're in the early stages so you've got a big advantage there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top