Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2006 4:32:34 PM EDT
Today I changed my degree from a BS in Criminal Justice to an AS in CJ.  Did I mess up or am I doing OK?  My adviser told my an AS is nothing.  Only a BS counts for anything.  That true?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:33:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Not entirely true...but pretty close.

Listen to your elders.  Go talk to the people where you want to work.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:37:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I would go with the BS there are MUCH more opportunities out there with it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:37:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't realy know where I want to work.  With the AS I'll get out of school the December of 06.  I haven't decided on what State I'm going to live in.  There is a chance of at least 3 with more then 800 miles between them.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:38:35 PM EDT
[#4]
True as can be.  I started with an A.S. (two, in fact) and quickly learned that a B.S./B.A. is the minimum level of college education to have.  Needless to say, back to school I went and got that coveted four year degree.  The more you invest in yourself, the more benefits you'll reap over time.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:41:56 PM EDT
[#5]
it depends on how far you want to go in that field...it never hurts to learn more and keep your mind sharp...kids today are finding that a BS or BA barely gets you past minimum wage.  You will double or triple your income potential with each degree...
think of where you'll be in 2 or 4 more years...
one of my kids has 2 associates already and is continuing on with school while he works for $14.00 hour as a 21 year old kid...
you will not regret continuing...once you are older, it is so much harder to get back into the school scene...
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:46:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Switch back to the B.S  degree.

If you want to do any federal LEO work you must have the B.S minimum.

If I were you I would get back in the B.S program look into M.S programs in Criminal Justice and Law School.

I would also start looking at CO-OP's and internships.

Go get back into the B.S program.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:53:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Masters/Doctorate/Law Degree if you want to make a decent living.

You laugh now...
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:54:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Well.  I know one thing.  I'm not getting a Masters.  
Well.  I can always get back in the BS plan at the end of this semester.  The classes I'm takeing right now are going towards both degrees.  So no biggy.  Man.  I hate that this is my fourth year.  Next will be my fifth.  I still have 8 CJ classes and 4 core classes plus one internship to take before I would get a BS.  I just feel burned out.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:05:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I just graduated with an AS in EE

Im seeing that the opportunities are VERY limited and a BS is a minimum.

I can relate to your feeling of burned out, but you really need to take a deep breath and just get it done, you will be glad you did later on.

Good luck
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:11:14 PM EDT
[#10]
AS = almost not worth the paper it's printed on
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:13:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Doesn't matter. Its not what you know its who you know
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:25:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Associates degrees mean NOTHING to most people. Get that B.S., and while you are at it, if you want to pursue a career in Law enforcement, you might want to get some Military experience,too. OCS or ROTC is a good place to start.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:30:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Get the 4 year degree...

Then go for your Master's....

Seriously...

BTW keep your GPA on the upside... The closer to a 4.0 the better...

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:38:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I have an AS, and am 2 semesters away from a BS. a BS/BA is the unspoken minimum. I am currently examining my options for graduate school. Invest in yourself, you need all the help you can get putting yourself ahead of the competition.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:55:57 PM EDT
[#15]
BS is definitely better than an AS
and in some fields even a BS isn't enough anymore
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:32:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Here Grasshopper is some of the best advice I ever received:

1.  Get as much education as you can now, and be done with it by the time you are 30.

2.  Wait to have kids until you are done with school.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:39:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Today I changed my degree from a BS in Criminal Justice to an AS in CJ.  Did I mess up or am I doing OK?  My adviser told my an AS is nothing.  Only a BS counts for anything.  That true?

Depends what exactly you want to do.  For many positions a BS in CJ may be wasted, as they only want a BA or BS, not specifically a Bachelors in CJ.

IMHO you are better off witha different BS or BA then CJ, even if you want to work in the CJ field.

Poli-Sci----->Public Administration as an example.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:43:01 PM EDT
[#18]
If you're only looking for a "normal" cop position, an AS is actually usually in and of itself more than the minimum requirement. I know more than one cop who got their job right out of a community college with just a two-year AS degree, making roughly $35,000 a year.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:44:13 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

2.  Wait to have kids until you are done with school.

Since everybody's pretty much covered it...

When I was a grad student, one of my colleagues had three kids by the time he finished. To this day, I don't know how he managed to support a family of 5 on a $1500 a month stipend.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:50:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:05:23 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

You messed up, but you can still change it.
Your advisor is correct.
Associates degree is nothing but a stepping stone to a bachelor's degree. I would suggest you take a look at all the police officer job opportunities that are out there right now. Don't just look at the job openings where you want to work, look at all jobs across the nation. Read the job description and qualifications. You will see that a BS degree will not only get you qualified but will also get you a higher starting pay.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:01:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Switch back to the BS, NOW.  An associate's degree won't get you very far.  More education will help you to find a job you'll enjoy more and it will provide you with the lifestyle you want.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:06:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Im graduating this May with 2 A.S Degrees(marketing and business admin) and am continuing to get my BS. I wish I would have just done the BS in the first place
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:11:40 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Get the 4 year degree...

Then go for your Master's....

Seriously...

BTW keep your GPA on the upside... The closer to a 4.0 the better...

"eh... Yeah I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there." (<--- name the movie)

What employers are looking for is someone who is bright enough to do the work, and is easy to work with. As long as your gpa starts with a 3, and you use those famous AR15.com people skills in the interview, you should be fine.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:14:33 PM EDT
[#25]
I'd switch back to the BS...but even more important than that....get a job in your field while you are in school....work while you are inschool even if you do not have to....but bust your ass to get a job that counts (i.e. one in your field) Hell, volunter at the local PD or in a lawyers office...even if it is just s few hours a week....and get a letter from the guys you work directly under....just do something valuable...

Then when you start applying for work once you graduate you have the BS, and you can actually put on some real work experience.  This makes you look huge compared to people with little or no experience.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:15:23 PM EDT
[#26]

Since you don;t have a job lined up that requires only an AS then stay in school and learn more (i.e., get your BS).  

Get good grades, avoid students loans if you can and definately avoid credit card debt.

Go tell your advisor you thought about what he said and changed your mind.   He'll love that and help you more (i would expect).

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:05:05 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
"eh... Yeah I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there." (<--- name the movie)

What employers are looking for is someone who is bright enough to do the work, and is easy to work with. As long as your gpa starts with a 3, and you use those famous AR15.com people skills in the interview, you should be fine.

"I'm gonna need you to go ahead and umm, come in on Saturday, m'kay?"
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:07:12 PM EDT
[#28]
I just graduated with my MBA and I'm haveing to compete with jobs. A BS is nothing anymore. There are just too amny college grads competing for jobs. YOu have to set yourself apart. I thought getting my MBA would, but I'm struggling to get a job that pays 50k starting out
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top