Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/18/2006 9:14:32 AM EDT
I just got a puppy and we are living with my parents in a high end subdivision while my house is being completed.  No yards have fences and the neighbors up the street have a Jack Russell that is a nightmare.  It trees cats, chases other dogs and just is a barking pain in the ass.  It shits in everyone's yard and the owners just lets it run loose.  

It was out this morning when I took my puppy out to pee and came barreling towards us barking and showing it's teeth. He was about 10 feet deep into our yard and my puppy (33lb, 10 week old Shiloh) got between me and the dog and stood his ground until I chucked a rock and hit the dog to get it out of our yard.  I yelled at the owner, a 300lb woman, who was standing on her porch worthlessly calling her dog back.  Told her to keep him leashed.  

Calling animal control seems pointless because by the time they came the owner would have the dog inside and I doubt they could even catch it.  I told my mom to call the cops but don't want to start a neighborhood dispute over this, especially since I don't really live there.

I have shot the dog with an airsoft before when it was in our backyard shitting and digging up my mom's flowers, but it still comes back.   I'm going to start carrying my pepper spray with me but want to know what I can do legally to this dog who is in our yard with no leash while my dog is leashed and in our yard too.  Can I spray it down with pepper spray?  

I have an RWS 34 that I'd like to pop him with but don't want to get in trouble with the law.  Also if they see me pepper spray him or shoot him with my airsoft and call the cops, would I be at fault for shooting/spraying him even though he's in my yard and not on a leash?  

What else besides get animal control/cops involved can I do to keep this dog from roaming the neighborhood.

I've thought about doing a night time SSS mission but as I'm the only one who's voiced a complaint, I'm sure I'd be the first accused.  We do have a live animal trap that works on coons and possums.  What's a good "bait" to lure a dog besides a dead cat
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:17:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Heh. That'd be funny. A Jack Russel terrier in a big Hav-a-Hart trap.

Leave it on the front of the owner's porch with a sign on it saying "Pen the dog up, or else"...

You'd HAVE to take pictures, dude. That is perfect "OWNED" photo fodder.

Use peanut butter as a lure. Or bacon.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:18:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, since you qualified your question with "legally", I got nothin'.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:18:10 AM EDT
[#3]
hotdogs
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:19:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:20:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Dogs LOVE Prestone.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:24:25 AM EDT
[#6]
If your dog slipped out your door, how would you feel if the guy next door pegged it in the head with a pellet gun?

Don't be an asshole. It's not the dog's fault.

If it's too much trouble for you to call animal control, then you contribute to the problem really. Chances are there are laws there which prohibit dogs from running free. Some kid is going to end up getting bit and then the whole neighborhood will wonder why nobody called animal control a week ago.

Whether or not they catch the dog loose is not the issue here. Filing repeated complaints will cause action. Write down dates and times of the dog running loose. Try to get other neighbors doing the same.

Having words with the lardass will only get you into shit.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:28:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Around here animal control has dog traps they lend out to catch problem animals, so that may be an option to check on.

Do you have a friend with a big, mean dog who could just happen to drop by for a visit? (Maybe a little lunch).

Check with your parents first, and if they're O.K. with it blast the stupid thing the next time it comes at you snarling. "I had to shoot. It was coming right at me!

If shooting is out, keep a throw-net of some type around. Net it, tie it up, dispose of as you see fit. (It couldn't run away before animal control got there).

That's all I can think of that's legal, and a couple of those are borderline.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:31:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Slingshot. It'll learn eventually if you nail it a few times.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:31:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Catch it in a live trap and take it to the pound
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:32:35 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Dogs LOVE Prestone.

+1
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:32:39 AM EDT
[#11]
If the Dog Growls at you or your dog draw down and shoot it.

Legally if you are in your own yard and the dog attacks, you have to defend yourself.

You will be charged with Discharging a Firearm within the city limits, but a good Lawyer can take care of that.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:34:35 AM EDT
[#12]
I like the live trap idea.   My MIL uses one for cats, and it works fairly well.   She says that after a few times, the police, get really tired of picking up the same animals and don't make it to the kennel with the trapped cat.  It just dissapears.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:35:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Next time you work on your vehicle, make sure not to leave a drain pan on the ground full of anti-freeze.

Remember, always dispose of it in a responsible manner because it's toxic and will kill whatever drinks it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:35:38 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Catch it in a live trap and take it to the pound

+1   Should work good enough, especially if the pooch doesn't have any dog tags.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:36:53 AM EDT
[#15]
We used to live in fear of the neighbors dog. It was a large Golden Retriever and stupid as hell. It would eat our dogs food and chew everything (our stuff) in sight. When I would get home for work it would try to push its way in to my truck rain or shine.

One day I'm mowing the lawn and the dog from hell has my daughters jacket. I stops in front of me and starts chewing on it. I'm trying to hold it all in when the owner looks over and does nothing. I stop the mower and walk up to get the coat and the dog tries to grab the coat from me and bites me.

I lost it with one knee in the chest of this dog I beat it like a red headed step son. At that time the owners now cared where there dog was.

Animal control came out and said there's nothing they can do and it would be in you best interest to keep you dog tied up. He said most of the time in these situations they have a dog body to dispose of .

Needless to say they don't talk to us much.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:38:43 AM EDT
[#16]
keep calling the cops. maybe they will issue a ticket if it is required to keep your animal on a leash.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:38:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Just relax and let Mauser take care of the problem. You will have to wait just a bit for him to put on weight but, at ten pounds a month, that won't take long. It will be good training for him and I guarantee you will get a good laugh out of it. (ETA: Dogs really do get a "HOLY SHIT!" expression on their faces.)

I also guarantee you that what Mauser will tell that dog will be far more persuasive than anything you could say to the stupid owner.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:40:47 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Slingshot. It'll learn eventually if you nail it a few times.

Yup, slingshot. Use jeey beans for ammo though. They still hurt like a mutha, but they dissolve in water so they can be left around the yard and not mess up the lawn mower
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:43:01 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Dogs LOVE Prestone.

+1

and i dropped my sammich in there too, damn im clumsy.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:44:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Get some bear spray.  Use it.

The little JRT will understand quick what Alpha means and that it isn't Alpha.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:46:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Me:"It growled at me officer I had to shoot it."

Occifer:"Why'd you have to shoot it 15 times?"

Me: "Hell I only missed once, whats the matter, you missed more than that last time you shot one?  Besides I didn't have a .45"
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:48:06 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

He just bought a puppy that will grow to over 100 pounds and be capable of teaching that jack russell the full alphabet in a few months.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:48:13 AM EDT
[#23]

from another thread, done by freeride21a, posted by NorCal_LEO
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:56:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Trap 'em like a possum!
If they come up to ya and ask if you've seen their doggy,
just tell 'em "well I don't know about that but I've seen a big 'ol coyote yesterday around here"

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:57:39 AM EDT
[#25]
it's been mentioned but bean that dog with rocks & sticks.   By the time it learns that coming over results in physical pain...your yard will be free of debris.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:58:44 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Trap 'em like a possum!
If they come up to ya and ask if you've seen their doggy,
just tell 'em "well I don't know about that but I've seen a big 'ol coyote yesterday around here"

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:00:00 AM EDT
[#27]

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:00:55 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Around here animal control has dog traps they lend out to catch problem animals, so that may be an option to check on.

Do you have a friend with a big, mean dog who could just happen to drop by for a visit? (Maybe a little lunch).

Check with your parents first, and if they're O.K. with it blast the stupid thing the next time it comes at you snarling. "I had to shoot. It was coming right at me!

If shooting is out, keep a throw-net of some type around. Net it, tie it up, dispose of as you see fit. (It couldn't run away before animal control got there).

That's all I can think of that's legal, and a couple of those are borderline.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:03:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Why not at least try talking with the owner first? I don't know if any of the anti-freeze group has ever seen an animal after they drak any but I have to tell you , folks it isn't a pretty sight. The owner/handeler is at fault NOT the dog. Try to explain to the owner that this is un-acceptable behavior from them and the dog.Try to be diplomatic about it first .if that won't get it then perhaps a garden hose will. Isthe dog licensed? Is it supposed to be? As a dog owner I don't think you really want to kill it, do you? Some people just shouldn't own dogs. If you bought a Shilo most likely you are a responsible owner. If all else fails the spray the owner with skunk sent . Some sporting good stores sell it to keep animals from eating and pissing on bushes and shrubs. The animals owner is the biggest part of  your problem . (Kidding about spraying the "trainer")
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:04:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Clearly the dog doesn't respect you. Probably because you own airsoft.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:07:37 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
000buck.d2g.com/funny/hideyourdog.jpg

from another thread, done by freeride21a, posted by NorCal_LEO

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:12:26 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Why not at least try talking with the owner first? I don't know if any of the anti-freeze group has ever seen an animal after they drak any but I have to tell you , folks it isn't a pretty sight. The owner/handeler is at fault NOT the dog. Try to explain to the owner that this is un-acceptable behavior from them and the dog.Try to be diplomatic about it first .if that won't get it then perhaps a garden hose will. Isthe dog licensed? Is it supposed to be? As a dog owner I don't think you really want to kill it, do you? Some people just shouldn't own dogs. If you bought a Shilo most likely you are a responsible owner. If all else fails the spray the owner with skunk sent . Some sporting good stores sell it to keep animals from eating and pissing on bushes and shrubs. The animals owner is the biggest part of  your problem . (Kidding about spraying the "trainer")

Hit the nail on the head.

I talked to them about it and they said" It's a pup it will grow out of it". Unfortunately they handle raising kids the same way.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:17:03 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
keep calling the cops. maybe they will issue a ticket if it is required to keep your animal on a leash.

Yes, make sure there is a long paper trail with local officials that points right back to you.  Brilliant.  

G
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:20:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Our local police encourage the use of pepper spray as a defense against aggressive dogs.  I have only used it once, and the dog hasn't come back for more.  It was a dog I had never seen before, otherwise I would have dealt with the owners directly.  I have done that twice.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:22:17 AM EDT
[#35]
If your area has lease laws, then capture the dog the next time it is in your yard and take it to the pound or call animal control.  Ignore the fact that you know whose dog it is, has tags, etc.  After your neighbors make a few trips to the pound to retrieve their pooch, they'll probably get the idea.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:25:08 AM EDT
[#36]
I caught one that did that and hauled it 40 miles away and dropped it off in a subdivision. Neighbor came accusing me of doing something to her dog. I said prove it. Next dog they got  stayed behing their fence. ACT
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:30:07 AM EDT
[#37]

My 3 steps for most interpersonal problems:

1st Incident: Polite Request

2nd Incident: Firm Request, Warning of 3rd Incident

3rd Incident: Involve Authority

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:34:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Well it's time for plan B, collect the turs for a week or so and recycle them in the owners yard. It would work better in the summer , but it's not . Ferment them in a five gallon bucket with a few ounces of water ,sit in the sun and give them back to her . If this mut shoul be licensed the call animal control and keep calling untill something gets done. Any city council people you can call Mabey a bucket of tootsie roll stew will get the owner in line. Any chance you could be more forceful without coming across as a jackass. Try to explain there are reprecussions ,take some digital pics and email them to animal control. Again, it's really the owner not the dog .(Easy for me to say sitting 2,000 miles away)
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:35:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Since I don't like "little-yappy" dogs.  I'd suggest you go to Wally World, pick up about 10$ worth of paintballs, and a sling-shot.  About the 3rd or 4th time the owner has to clean the dog, you won't have to worry about it.  Paintballs are also non-toxic, and just leave a little color on the grass (and the dog).  A good slingshot should be plenty to break one on a dog.  Make sure you get red, so they think the dog was shot.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:00:30 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Legally if you are in your own yard and the dog attacks, you have to defend yourself.

You will be charged with Discharging a Firearm within the city limits, but a good Lawyer can take care of that.

For fucks sake the dog weighs 12 pounds, if it growls at you just kick it, be careful though those killers might jumo up and bite your ankle.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:04:32 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:What's a good "bait" to lure a dog besides a dead cat

A big, fat, juicy meatball dripping in Prestone sauce.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:10:16 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:What's a good "bait" to lure a dog besides a dead cat

A big, fat, juicy meatball dripping in Prestone sauce.

Peanut butter with prestone
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:30:48 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He just bought a puppy that will grow to over 100 pounds and be capable of teaching that jack russell the full alphabet in a few months.

I know the Shepherd could take the JRT out easily, BUT that risks the other owner suing for vet bills, getting animal control on the good guys/dog, or worse.  If he files complaints with animal control, and then pepper sprays the rodent masquerading as a dog (sorry to JRT fans, I don't like them much) when the dog is menacing them, it shows restraint.  If the judge asks why pepper spray, he can realistically say it was the least risky means of controlling the animal as anything physical risked him being bit, the dog being injured, etc - The bear spray does not injure the dog, just gives it solid negative reinforcement.

Just my $0.02.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:32:41 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know the Shepherd could take the JRT out easily, BUT that risks the other owner suing for vet bills, getting animal control on the good guys/dog, or worse.  If he files complaints with animal control, and then pepper sprays the rodent masquerading as a dog (sorry to JRT fans, I don't like them much) when the dog is menacing them, it shows restraint.  If the judge asks why pepper spray, he can realistically say it was the least risky means of controlling the animal as anything physical risked him being bit, the dog being injured, etc - The bear spray does not injure the dog, just gives it solid negative reinforcement.

Just my $0.02.

PS:  If you think the JRT owner will scream that they have to take their dog to the vet for the spray, get, in advance, your vet to write out treatment instructions, and staple them to a bag of the JRT's crap from your yard.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:41:09 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:52:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Call your local Chinese or Korean restaurant.

Tell them it is time for a pick up of a future delivery.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:53:55 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For fucks sake the dog weighs 12 pounds, if it growls at you just kick it, be careful though those killers might jumo up and bite your ankle.

Have you ever been bit by a Dog?

I have been bit 2 times while working, I got bit by a GSD and a lab/mutt.
I work for UPS as a Driver so I cannot carry on the job.....so I now carry a hockey stick with no blade.

So now if a dog looks at me funny I am ready to draw down and kill.
I have shot and killed 2 dogs that were a threat to myself or my dogs.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:02:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Trap the little yapper.  Yell at it, saying "Bad Dog, GO HOME", etc

Then piss on it, soak it good..  And rattle a can of rocks as you do this.

Take the trap and your can of rocks to the edge of your property and dump the doggy out.  Yell at it to "GO HOME" as you shake the can of rocks, (no pissing this time)

Next time you see the dog do the can of rocks bit and tell it to go home.

If the dog forgets do the piss treatment another time ot two.

DO NOT injure the dog, whatever you do.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:06:03 PM EDT
[#49]
What you can do legally depends on what the dog laws are in your town. I wouldn't go doing anything illegal.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:10:16 PM EDT
[#50]
How about you knock on the owners door and speak with them?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top