Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/18/2006 8:20:11 AM EDT
A lot of our friends and relatives recently (less than 4 months) had babies or are currently expecting. As of today 6 babies were born and 5 were boys and 1 girl. Of 13 people who are expecting 8 are boy, 2 girl and 3 are unknown.

It seems that this is against the normal 50/50 odds of having boy/girl. In this group there are (or will be) 13 boys 3 girls and 3 are unknown. There seems to be a lot of boys. I saw something like this once before about 15 years ago where there were 23 babies born all with 12 months and 19 were girls and 4 were boys.

I guess occasionally sexes are determined in bunches.

Anybody else notice this?

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:27:48 AM EDT
Independent events.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:27:55 AM EDT
There are different rates of conception versus birth. Either females are more likely to be conceived, but males are more likely to survive to birth, or vice-versa. The pH of the vagina has a lot to do with the survival of sperm, and a harsher environment leads to more of the stronger sperm sex (whichever one it is) surviving and thus more likely to impregnate.

The odds though are more 50/50 when looking at the entire population, I doubt it would be as accurate if looking at a small subset of related people. If the vaginal secretions of the womenfolk have a tendency to be more acidic than the population as a whole, then those women would be more likely to give birth to either male or female babies, whichever is strongest.

I'm not sure of the specifics, it's been a while and I'm not going to bother looking up which one is more likely to survive a harsh vagina.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:40:39 AM EDT
statistics of small samples

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:47:44 AM EDT
I HATE math word problems.
Top Top