BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2006 6:03:37 AM EDT
Ted K. to quit club that bans women
http://news.bostonherald.com/localPolitics/view.bg?articleid=121646
By Jules Crittenden
Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - Updated: 11:41 AM EST

E-mail article   View text version   View most popular
U.S. Sen. Edward M. Kennedy — who ripped Supreme Court nominee Samuel Alito for ties to a group that discriminates against women — says he’s going to quit a club notorious for discriminating against women “as fast as I can.”

Kennedy was outed by conservatives late last week as a current member of The Owl Club, a social club for Harvard alumni that bans women from membership.

In an interview with WHDH Channel 7’s Andy Hiller that aired last night, Kennedy said, “I joined when I . . . 52 years ago, I was a member of the Owl Club, which was basically a fraternal organization.”

Asked by Hiller whether he is still a member, Kennedy said, “I’m not a member; I continue to pay about $100.”

He then said of being a member in a club that discriminates against women, “I shouldn’t be and I’m going to get out of it as fast as I can.”

The Harvard Crimson reports that, in 1984, the university severed ties with clubs like the Owl, citing a federal law championed by Kennedy.

Meanwhile, Kennedy admitted to Hiller that he himself probably couldn’t pass Judiciary Committee muster.

“Probably not . . . probably not,” Kennedy said.

The committee will vote on Alito’s nomination on Jan. 24, and the full Senate will begin debate the next day. Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn., said he looks forward to a “fair up-or-down vote.”

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:07:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Must not be a water polo club...  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:11:41 AM EDT
[#2]
since when does he care about women-i mean, other than killing them?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:52:01 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
since when does he care about women-i mean, other than killing them?

He cares a lot, evidently.  Today's Boston Herald is carrying allegations that Ted's "love-child" has attained his 21st birthday and was then told of his parentage.  Kennedy folks are denying the whole thing.  Christopher, the child, was adopted by his mother's (later) husband.

Payoff?  Unknown amount, but probably less than $200,000 (my guess).  She purportedly received enough for a car, an expensive pet  (Shar-pei), $15,000, and occasional other funds.

Of course, this is all based on a National Enquirer article.

Cost of the DNA test?  Priceless.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top