Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2006 3:34:00 PM EDT
volokh.com  Volokh is a UCLA Law Professor.

Eugene Volokh, January 17, 2006 at 4:51pm] 0 Trackbacks / Possibly More Trackbacks
ACLU of Texas and Gun Rights:
I think it's too bad that the ACLU takes a collective rights view of the Second Amendment, and generally doesn't do much to defend state constitutional rights to bear arms. (As readers of this blog might realize, I don't think they're evil or even hypocritical for disagreeing with my interpretation of the Second Amendment, or even for declining to defend the clearly individual state constitutional rights. They're entitled to pick and choose what rights they think are most important to defend, just as the NRA and my two favorite conservative/libertarian public interest law firms, the Institute for Justice and the Center for Individual Rights, are entitled to do the same. I just think the ACLU is mistaken in its views.)
In any case, though, I'm pleased that the ACLU of Texas is taking a pro-right-to-self-defense view; Scott Henson, director of the police accountability project for the ACLU of Texas, testified this Spring -- on the ACLU of Texas's behalf -- in favor of a proposal to let law-abiding citizens carry guns in their cars. The law ultimately passed, and Mr. Henson is now trying to check how well it's being implemented, by filing state open records act requests for any instructions that government agencies are giving police officers about the new law. Sounds like good work to me.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:17:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:21:58 PM EDT
[#2]
why do I learn more about Texas news and news around Houston from here then my local news
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:48:51 PM EDT
[#3]

In any case, though, I'm pleased that the ACLU of Texas is taking a pro-right-to-self-defense view; Scott Henson, director of the police accountability project for the ACLU of Texas, testified this Spring -- on the ACLU of Texas's behalf -- in favor of a proposal to let law-abiding citizens carry guns in their cars.

To me, it sounds like merely another way of taking a jab at police officers: Embarass them by claiming that citizens can do a better job of protecting themselves than the police.

The popular perception is that police don't want armed motorists. So, the ACLU takes a contrary position.

I seriously doubt that Mr. Henson gives half a hump about the 2nd Amendment.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:51:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I have noticed that they have presented pro-gun testimony at several committee hearings on pending gun laws during this last session.  Usually the TX ACLU and TSRA show up to those to put their two cents in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top