Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2001 8:49:12 PM EDT
COP HATERS/TROLLS KEEP IT CONSTRUCTIVE PLEASE!

Watched COPS tonight.  They were with the Dallas PD.  Just some observations:
1.  While enroute to a disturbance at a junkyard, young cop states "this guy is always out raising hell in this compound with automatic weapons.  Good ole' American Good Old Boy."  Two thumbs down for talking shit.

When they arrive they are joined by 4 other officers, including what looks like a supervisor (older officer, short but in shape, grey hair, and laid back alert attitude).
Turns out the subject started a fight, was supposed to be taking Lithium and not taking it.  They interview some acquantiances, and determine that the man is off his rocker and will also probably fight them.
This is the good part.  The older officer takes charge.  He tells the others "let me handle this".  Simply Asks the guy about his medicine.  The guy lies and tells him he has been taking it.  Officer tells him "they are telling us that you haven't had your medicine.  What I would like to do is take you down to DPS and get you some medicine.  Can we do that?"  Subject "that sounds fair"  Officer: "Well, I have to tell you, for our own safety, I gotta put cuffs on ya.  Is that OK?"  Subject stands up and turns around with his hands behind his back.  Officer is friendly, respectful, and this man who was pretty sick is getting help without batons/pepperspray/bruises/felony charges.  The young cop had no clue.  In fact, all the other cops at the scene just stood and watched the old head in action.

I am aware that there have been blowups on this board about abusive cops.  F&^%!g relax.

It is my observation that (IMHO) it is a job, and so you have the same personnel problems as any other job, namely, young ones who don't "get it" yet and old heads that really know the job and try to impart that knowledge on the rookies.
This instance on the show was a good representation of that.

That's why I am not a cop hater, even though I have met my fair share of badge heavy dicks.  I just go downtown and talk to the shift supervisor and let him know what is up, without a formal complaint.  It has never gotten that far.  Anyone that has a problem should get involved with correcting it.  And about half the cops I have met are pretty cool.  

Later on in the show....I believe the same young cop.  They show up at a fight/shots fired.  Young cop gets out of his car, and draws down on a subject who comes running to the officer.....and AIMS HIS WEAPON AT THE SUBJECTS GANGSTA STYLE!!!

Redeeming moment:  after gaining control of the situation, the officer has the subject stand back up, and semi-apologizes for drawing down on him before commencing with the interview.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 9:48:46 PM EDT
[#1]
one thing about cops, as much as i love it, some of their stops are kinda trashing our rights, they always take the gun and get all worked up, i have never seen them ask "do you have a permit for this?" granted, if the perp had a permit he would speak up right away, and if they did a stop on a CCW holder it wouldnt make it to air. also, i saw one show where the cop like interogated this guy cause the guy was driving around with noware to go, the cop asked where he was going, and he just said no ware, so the cop said he had to go home or somewhere and stop driving around, cause he had no bisness out there. my ass he didnt, he had all the reason he needed, none. you sont need a reason, and that cop had no right to know where he was going or to tell him to go home.
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 10:44:26 PM EDT
[#2]
You think they're bad -- I quit watching "America's Most Wanted" after the election last year because of their bias.

About two years ago, some guy in Brier, WA went berserk, killed his mother and nephew, grabbed a car and took off.  He ran into a motorcyclist, totalling his car and severing one of the biker's legs.  Since the car was toast, the asshole ran out into a residential neighborhood and tried to steal another car, incidentally killing one elderly woman and critically injuring another.

Then, having completely fucked up whatever semblance of an escape he was trying to accomplish, he invaded someone's home, found some guns, holed up, and took potshots at the cops for the next several hours, injuring one (she recovered fine).  Eventually a sniper killed the psycho.  Good riddance. [sniper]

Now comes "America's Most Biased".  They show the psycho blazing out the window with an AR-15, among other "semiautomatic assault weapons". [heavy] In real life, according to an article in which the homeowner was interviewed, all the homeowner had was a few old sporterized bolt-actions for deer hunting.
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 10:51:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Where's Brier, WA?
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 12:08:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Brier is southeast of Lynnwood, in south Snohomish County.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 12:15:27 AM EDT
[#5]
These Cops have a camera pointed at them and Know they will be on TV, do you honestly think they are "being themselves", Hell no, they are putting on an act for the camera, be assured they have been briefed by their superiors to be on their best behavior. I would love to see a episode of Cops, where the Cops did not know they were being filmed, I think it would be a very interesting show indeed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top