Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2006 2:37:09 PM EDT
Walking through the woods and stepped on an old board that was burried by leaves.  Just so happened that board also had a 5" rusted nail pointing straight up.  Damn thing went through my boot and just about all the way through my toe.  All bruised up, hurts like hell.  Had to spend lunch at the health department to get a tetinus shot.

Update:  Damn thing hurts like hell.  That is all
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:38:04 PM EDT
[#1]
so does any company make steel SOLED shoes?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:42:15 PM EDT
[#2]
You must be pretty lucky to have needed a tetnis shot. Sucks about your foot though. Workmans comp ahoy.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:44:54 PM EDT
[#3]
This post is worthless without pic
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:49:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Being a timber cruiser aint all fame and glory, is it?

Tree Murderer!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:50:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
so does any company make steel SOLED shoes?

I think mil-spec boots have stel soled boots though of all the years of being in the woods, this is the first time this has happened.  I wear lightweight boots so I can be a little more moble and cut down on the weight on my feet.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:50:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You must be pretty lucky to have needed a tetnis shot. Sucks about your foot though. Workmans comp ahoy.

No workers comp. After the tetnis shot I was back in the woods cruising timber, though the foot hurts like a sonuvabitch.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:51:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Being a timber cruiser aint all fame and glory, is it?

Tree Murderer!

Nope but it is a good thing I am not a pussy.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:00:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Damn, that sucks!

Go get a 12 pack.

Dump 1 on the foot where the tissue damage is to kill any bacteria present.

Dump the other 11 down your throat, this will kill any bacteria from the inside.

Remind me to reimburse you for the 12 pack and tell you about the almost exact same thing that happened to me many years back.

Danny
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:12:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Damn dude...sorry to hear that.  At least it was only the toe.  I was doing a cruise last year in the Catskill Mountains.  I was walking up a very steep slope, slipped and I slammed my shin on a rock.  The spot on my shin swelled up to the size of my fist.  hurt like a bitch.  I limped back to my truck and took nap.

(edit for spelling)
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:37:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Damn dude...sorry to hear that.  At least it was only the toe.  I was doing a cruise last year in the Catskill Mountains.  I was walking up a very steep slope, slipped and I slammed my shin on a rock.  The spot on my shin swelled up to the size of my fist.  hurt like a bitch.  I limped back to my truck and took nap.

(edit for spelling)

Been there done that.  I was marking timber sale lines on this one tract of timber a few years back, slipped and fell down a stripmine bench with a loaded 50# panama backpack spray gun on.  Landed right on top of a rock.  Thought I broke my leg.  Had to limp back a mile back to the truck and then to the ER to find that it was just a bruise.

Then there was the time I ripped my ring finger off, that is a long story.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:42:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Damn, that sucks!

Go get a 12 pack.

Dump 1 on the foot where the tissue damage is to kill any bacteria present.

Dump the other 11 down your throat, this will kill any bacteria from the inside.

Remind me to reimburse you for the 12 pack and tell you about the almost exact same thing that happened to me many years back.

Danny

All ready on schedule.  Have a 6 pack of Guinness and a half quart of shine to work on tonight.  Best pain killer ever.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:50:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Hope you get better soon, jobs with up's and downs, Good Luck
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:05:30 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No workers comp. After the tetnis shot I was back in the woods cruising timber, though the foot hurts like a sonuvabitch.

Boy that sounds like a real kick in the nuts then.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:12:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Tell the old ball and chain that you need two beers, a Whataburger, and a blow job, pronto!  Then tell her to iron your Levis.

Sorry, I just saw a Bubba'd Enfield and it put me into a white trash mood.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:46:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Not as bad a day as the guy who got sucked up into a running jet engine!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:07:36 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Oh...I gotta hear that one...please share.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:08:31 PM EDT
[#17]
My old jungle boots had a metal insole in them. Whatever was covering it must have fell out or something and I started whatever we were doing that day in the Army. And it felt like I stepped on a porcupine. The metal plate was all rusted and broke up and a few of the pieces were sticking in my foot.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:44:14 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cruising this one boundary of timber, back when I was married to broomhilda.  This tract was steeper than hell and rougher than a cob, jumped this fence and slipped on some acorns.  Went to catch myself, ring on the ring finger got cought on the barbed wire.  I heard a "crack" and a "ping".  The crack was my ring finger snapping and the ping was the ring being shot into the air. I got up and looked at my hand and the fingernail of my ring finger was touching the back of my hand.  There was pieces of bone stickingout and everything.  The wound was a little pink then came the blood.  It bled like a stuck pig.    Took my boot off and wrapped it in one of my socks.  Had a short hike the truck but it took me an hour to drive off the mountain (had to creep in in 4wd low).  By the time I hit hard pavement I had bled though the sock, I stopped at this one gas station in the middle of no where guy at the gas station says "U all rite?  Look like you done hurt your finger or something"  He told me best that he could where the nearest hospital was got to the hospital ER was the only one there dripping blood all over the place.  Hurt like hell when the x-rayed it but luckely it snapped the bone in half and not the joint.  A pine, some screws and 9 stiches and finger was put back where it is suppose to be.  Though I have nerve damage in it.  The bottom part of the finger has no feeling in it and when it gets cold out it turns blue due to poor circulation.  Got a nice scar to remind me of it and to remind me of the bitch of a marriage that I had.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:16:10 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cruising this one boundary of timber, back when I was married to broomhilda.  This tract was steeper than hell and rougher than a cob, jumped this fence and slipped on some acorns.  Went to catch myself, ring on the ring finger got cought on the barbed wire.  I heard a "crack" and a "ping".  The crack was my ring finger snapping and the ping was the ring being shot into the air. I got up and looked at my hand and the fingernail of my ring finger was touching the back of my hand.  There was pieces of bone stickingout and everything.  The wound was a little pink then came the blood.  It bled like a stuck pig.    Took my boot off and wrapped it in one of my socks.  Had a short hike the truck but it took me an hour to drive off the mountain (had to creep in in 4wd low).  By the time I hit hard pavement I had bled though the sock, I stopped at this one gas station in the middle of no where guy at the gas station says "U all rite?  Look like you done hurt your finger or something"  He told me best that he could where the nearest hospital was got to the hospital ER was the only one there dripping blood all over the place.  Hurt like hell when the x-rayed it but luckely it snapped the bone in half and not the joint.  A pine, some screws and 9 stiches and finger was put back where it is suppose to be.  Though I have nerve damage in it.  The bottom part of the finger has no feeling in it and when it gets cold out it turns blue due to poor circulation.  Got a nice scar to remind me of it and to remind me of the bitch of a marriage that I had.

Those middle of nowhere gas station guys like to tell you shit like, "just rub some coal oil on thet fanger, it'll be awrite bymby".

PINE?  You got a PINE in your finger?  Dude, you got to get out of the woods now and then!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:28:09 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Those middle of nowhere gas station guys like to tell you shit like, "just rub some coal oil on thet fanger, it'll be awrite bymby".

PINE?  You got a PINE in your finger?  Dude, you got to get out of the woods now and then!

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:36:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Man, you need a boot with a steel shank.  It's a steel plate that runs the length of the sole.  When I worked construction I stepped on a couple boards with 16 penny framing nails sticking out.  None of them ever went through the sole.  Some boots also come with fiberglass shanks, but I don't know how well they work.  MJD
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:33:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Good reminder to get current on tetanus shots. I think they say every 10 years is the cycle for this one.

Anyone who messes about in the woods or construction sites should have one. Weekend warriors and Chairborne commandos too.

(You never know when you might get a rusty staple in your bare ass from your old office chair when you are "researching" (pron) on that thar Ineernet)

Stay healthy. Not many people in the world with your skills anymore.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top