Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/17/2006 9:21:04 AM EDT
I've got a 55 gallon reef tank that has been matured well over a year. I've never so much as had a bit of hair algae in it. Nothing has changed over the months. Now, I find I am overrun with hair algae on my live rock, pump motors, intake tubes, etc.

I've added nitrate/phosphate/silica removing media and have replaced my metal halide and compact flourescent light bulbs. Anything else I can do to get rid of this junk???

lawdog
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:24:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/17/2006 9:24:48 AM EDT by BoreSighted]
New curtains letting in more sunlight?

Higher room temperature?

Spores introduced with a new fish?

ETA: new salt mix?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:30:22 AM EDT
Boresighted: Yes, I did buy a different type of salt mix. The pet store was out of my regular stuff. You think that might have caused it??

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:36:24 AM EDT
That's one expensive hobby I don't regret giving up. Good luck finding a fix. Between the algae outbreaks and the aiptasia invasion, it turned into more of a frustration than anything else for me.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:42:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By lawdog:
Boresighted: Yes, I did buy a different type of salt mix. The pet store was out of my regular stuff. You think that might have caused it??

Absolutely. Lots of history there. Each one has different components.

The new one may have had algae, but much more lilely it is adding a previously missing nutrient that the algae needed in order to thrive. Complex situation; it may also be something that you fish are better served by having, or there may be some other ingredient that is good for the fish.

In all, probably better to rotate mixes regularly and deal with the fallout, or hybridize your own combination of salts, but that's one opinion and you'll get other people saying the opposite.

Mechanical removal of the algae will be necessary, then try to remove the precurso components.

I found that my tanks did much better with a combination of a) protein skimmer that pulled water before it hit biomedia, and put the highly aerated output water onto the top of the biomedia, a pleated micron ocean clear filter that caught everything the overflow box fiber filters didn't catch, a large UV unit that sterilized the water after it had gone through the pleated micron filter, and some serpent stars and other "crawling" creatures (hermit crabs) that lived in the overflow boxes and picked at the debris that stuck to the outside of the filter, consuming before it decayed. And as well some serpent stars who lived in the sump of the wet/dry, and some crabs there too.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:10:18 AM EDT
I've got a green serpent star, multiple small crabs, some turbo snails, and a really good sized sea cucumber along with bristle worms. I have two Penguin 440's with activated carbon and a HOT skimmer. I do twice monthly 20% water changes and regularly replace the water removed by the skimmer.

I have been adding concentrated iodine, selenium/moly, and coral vitamins, calcium, etc. and my inverts. are doing great as well as my fish.

I don't know how I'm going to mechanically remove the hair algae since, if I do that, I'm going to damage my feather dusters, etc. on the rock with the hair algae. Any recommendations on how to get the algae off without harming the good stuff??
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:23:14 AM EDT

Top Top