Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/17/2006 9:01:49 AM EDT
To amend title 18, United States Code, to provide a national standard in accordance with which nonresidents of a State may carry concealed firearms in the State. (Introduced in House)

HR 4547 IH

109th CONGRESS

1st Session

H. R. 4547
To amend title 18, United States Code, to provide a national standard in accordance with which nonresidents of a State may carry concealed firearms in the State.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

December 14, 2005
Mr. STEARNS introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A BILL
To amend title 18, United States Code, to provide a national standard in accordance with which nonresidents of a State may carry concealed firearms in the State.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. NATIONAL STANDARD FOR THE CARRYING OF CERTAIN CONCEALED FIREARMS BY NONRESIDENTS.

(a) In General- Chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by inserting after section 926C the following:

`Sec. 926D. National standard for the carrying of certain concealed firearms by nonresidents

`(a) Notwithstanding any provision of the law of any State or political subdivision thereof, a person who is not prohibited by Federal law from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm and is carrying a valid license or permit which is issued by a State and which permits the person to carry a concealed firearm (other than a machinegun or destructive device) may carry in another State a concealed firearm (other than a machinegun or destructive device) that has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce, subject to subsection (b).

`(b)(1) If such other State issues licenses or permits to carry concealed firearms, the person may carry a concealed firearm in the State under the same restrictions which apply to the carrying of a concealed firearm by a person to whom the State has issued such a license or permit.

`(2) If such other State does not issue licenses or permits to carry concealed firearms, the person may not, in the State, carry a concealed firearm in a police station, in a public detention facility, in a courthouse, in a public polling place, at a meeting of a State, county, or municipal governing body, in a school, at a professional or school athletic event not related to firearms, in a portion of an establishment licensed by the State to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, or inside the sterile or passenger area of an airport, except to the extent expressly permitted by State law.'.

(b) Clerical Amendment- The table of sections for such chapter is amended by inserting after the item relating to section 926C the following:

`926D. National standard for the carrying of certain concealed firearms by nonresidents.'.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:03:59 AM EDT
[#1]
awesome.
lets make it happen
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:07:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Shit hot!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:08:14 AM EDT
[#3]
who do i write?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:08:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Where do we express our support at this point in the process?

Who needs financial support to help lobby for this and make sure that enough supporting pamphlets with the factual data to support it are printed?

This is important, and it needs to be strongly supported to get through the knee-jerk anti reaction. I'll put in the cost of a good carry gun to make sure that correct information is distributed to support this.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:11:43 AM EDT
[#5]
This follows the "drivers license" model, where a, e.g. Texas, drivers license is honored in all the other states.

My sense is that this will eventually happen. The only question is will a person with a home-state CCW license have to die in an out-of-state crime to get the ball over the goal line.

Let's keep our fingers crossed.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:20:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Oh fuck yeah...

CCW coast to coast... the liberal's would shit their pants
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:21:30 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
This follows the "drivers license" model, where a, e.g. Texas, drivers license is honored in all the other states.

My sense is that this will eventually happen. The only question is will a person with a home-state CCW license have to die in an out-of-state crime to get the ball over the goal line.

It would be cool if you could have a little gun on your drivers license to denote a CCW permit.....

Kind of like what they do with organ donors...
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:24:07 AM EDT
[#8]
I bet Kammifornia is going ballistic
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:24:17 AM EDT
[#9]
My fingers are crossed and I have said my prayers.

Hopefull this can become law before I take a road trip with my best friend from VA to TX to shoot some guns

They have 5 months
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:27:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:27:48 AM EDT
[#11]
It looks like a house bill.

You can write your state representatives HERE
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:28:12 AM EDT
[#12]
I would love to be able to go to MA with my GLOCK.  What would MA do?  Would they ignore the new law if enacted?  Could we sue the commie f*ckers?  Who do we need to contact at this point?

Good Job as always CRC!

--VT
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:29:38 AM EDT
[#13]
I just found it.

Does it cover Vermont?

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:32:18 AM EDT
[#14]
But, but, but, they don't drive cars in Kommiefornistan do they?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:32:31 AM EDT
[#15]
tag
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:33:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Never happen...

Just imagine the furor in NYC and NJ...people from CT, VT, NH, PA driving all through those states, stopping there or going to NYC or whatever...whoo.

Guarantee there'd be a pile of shootings in NYC (muggers trying to mug out-of-staters being shot)...

I'd love to see it happen, but you can bet it'll find stiff, stiff opposition from blue-type folk.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:33:44 AM EDT
[#17]
sweet
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:36:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:37:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Oh YEAH!!!!

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:41:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Like many federal firearms laws, this one has no place in the Federal Government.

NAY.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:44:16 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Like many federal firearms laws, this one has no place in the Federal Government.

NAY.

Oh shit, more state's rights bullshit.  If this is done like the driver's licenses (full faith, etc) what's the problem.  You probably think that states should not honor other state's drivers licenses, huh.

This does affect commerce, which comes under Federal jurisdiction.

Apparently, you are fine with states stomping all over the 2nd Amendment.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:45:05 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

NAY.

Why? States rights?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:46:11 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
What they need is a nationwide CCW permit that one can get.  This is just expanded reciprocity.  Those of use who are basically barred from having a CCW by the state's politics still get nothing with this bill.  

Of course there are still states rights to consider.  States like MA, NY, CA can still just pass legislation barring the carry of concealed weapons by non-residents without a state issued permit that they will simply refuse to issue as they do with their own residents lol (and this is explicitly allowed for in the language of this bill).

Hate to be a naysayer but it's a symptom of having to reside (for the time being) in a Communist territory.

Fuck "state's rights" when it comes to the 2nd Amendment.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:51:26 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NAY.

Why? States rights?

Yes.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:52:35 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

NAY.

Why? States rights?

Yes.

I think our country showed what the federal government thinks about states rights. It occurred about 140 years ago, and lots of people died over it.

States rights is nothing but an empty idea.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:56:11 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It would be cool if you could have a little gun on your drivers license to denote a CCW permit.....

Great, I can just imagine:
Sir may I see your licence and registration please. What is this little gun icon? Sir! Put your hands on your head and back slowly towards my voice!.......

No thanks to that idea.

efxguy
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:00:16 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

`(a) Notwithstanding any provision of the law of any State or political subdivision thereof,

All us blue staters can still forget it lol.

Do we have to go over this again? It comes up every time a law is debated on ARf. "Notwithstanding any provision blah blah" means "We overrule your local/state laws, and this is the way its going to be".

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:02:22 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Great, I can just imagine:
Sir may I see your licence and registration please. What is this little gun icon? Sir! Put your hands on your head and back slowly towards my voice!.......

No thanks to that idea.

efxguy

True..

Didnt think about that....

But it can happen anways with a regular CCW if the officer radios in your license, and up comes info that you have a CCW permit...I think some states do it that way..

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:03:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:04:57 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

NAY.

Disagree.  Interstate carry is necessarily an issue that is best handled at the federal level.  The federal government has always regulated issues of interstate travel and commerce.  This falls under that ruberic.  

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:06:31 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

NAY.

Why? States rights?

Yes.

I think our country showed what the federal government thinks about states rights. It occurred about 140 years ago, and lots of people died over it.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:09:25 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

NAY.

Why? States rights?

Yes.

CCW regulations and licensing is something that, in this present day and age, should be left to the states, as are such things as nursing licenses, contractors licenses, professional engineering licenses, etc.

For the record, I believe most current federal gun laws and practices are unconstitutional and should be ended, as are most state laws regulating firearms ownership and CCW.  Also, I won't complain if this bill is signed into law.

No, it should not be left to the states.  States should not be allowed to refuse to recognize my right to carry.  All states recognize every other state's drivers licenses and driving is not even a right.

When it comes to firearms, fuck state's rights.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:10:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Contact info coming soon......warm up the PHONES!

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:11:24 AM EDT
[#34]
CONTACT INFO AT THIS WEBSITE:

http://judiciary.house.gov/contact.aspx

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:11:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:11:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Tag
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:11:55 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

NAY.

Why? States rights?

Yes.

CCW regulations and licensing is something that, in this present day and age, should be left to the states, as are such things as nursing licenses, contractors licenses, professional engineering licenses, etc.

For the record, I believe most current federal gun laws and practices are unconstitutional and should be ended, as are most state laws regulating firearms ownership and CCW.  Also, I won't complain if this bill is signed into law.

No, it should not be left to the states.  States should not be allowed to refuse to recognize my right to carry.  All states recognize every other state's drivers licenses and driving is not even a right.

When it comes to firearms, fuck state's rights.

I would be all for states' rights if I thought it meant anything in the grand scheme.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:12:25 AM EDT
[#38]
would this mean that me, being a MD resident, could sign up for one of those Florida permits at my local shop and be able to carry here in MD?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:13:44 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
would this mean that me, being a MD resident, could sign up for one of those Florida permits at my local shop and be able to carry here in MD?

Soundz like it
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:18:35 AM EDT
[#40]
WooT!!!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:19:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:23:36 AM EDT
[#42]
hmm lets see, my driveres liscence is valid in every state, if I were to get a married  id be considred married in every state.

Why the Hell is this such a prob to some people here?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:24:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Schulze do you have bro in NO thats a mayor?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:54:02 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I may have to get one of those just in case this bill passes.  I'd take great pleasure in chapping the hide of the State of CA by carrying legally with someone else's permit lol.

Unfortunately, I doubt it would last long.  CA already forced me to turn in one CCW permit via legislation, I'm sure they'll do it again.  

How did they do that?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:11:37 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I doubt it.  Since you can't get a Florida driver's license if you're a MD resident.  If they run it like driver's licenses, then it's a good idea.   If it forces California to recognize my Arizona CCW, then I'm all for it.

And as for State's rights, I'm normally very pro-state's rights, but this is different.  Right to bear arms is clearly stated in the Constitution.  Which is the controlling document for the land.  The Constitution says that any power not specifically given to the Federal Gov't belongs the states.  Which is where the problem comes up, because the Fed's are constantly encroaching their power into what was supposed to belong to the states.  However, the Right to Bear Arms is an ennumerated right by the Federal Constitution.  And, it also falls under the full faith and credit provisions.  

I've already emailed my congresscritter.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:14:49 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NAY.

Disagree.  Interstate carry is necessarily an issue that is best handled at the federal level.  The federal government has always regulated issues of interstate travel and commerce.  This falls under that ruberic.  

ugh, I agree that it it necessary that the federal govt should get involved but I think your reasoning is shitty.

Thats the same reasoning they use to ban MG's and go after drug users.  Its bullshit.

Equal faith and protection would suffice for things like DL's, CCW's, etc..

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:21:36 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

NAY.

ugh, I agree that it it necessary that the federal govt should get involved but I think your reasoning is shitty.

Thats the same reasoning they use to ban MG's and go after drug users.  Its bullshit.

Equal faith and protection would suffice for things like DL's, CCW's, etc..

Just  because the government has abused interstate commerce in the past doesn't mean that some issues aren't necessarily federal.  These licenses seem to be primarily an interstate travel issue.  The feds have always regulated this and for good reason, states cannot always come to an agreement among themselves.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:34:47 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I don't see the relationship between a corrupt government official and a state's rights issue.

If the nation adopts a national CCW license, then the feds would decide who can and can't carry. I know the current bill is a national standard, but it's a step in the direction of a nationwide license. I wouldn't have a problem with this if states continued to maintain their own form of the license that citizens could apply for and still carry in their state without involving the feds. But if this goes through, I predict states will cease to issue on account of redundancy with the national license. This means that instead of the the great state of Texas licensing me to carry, the Feds would be licensing me, and there'd be no option otherwise. I like to keep these policies as close to home as possible; I trust my Texas government more than the national government, and I have more influence with them. I'm willing to not have a legal right to carry in blue states.

Thank you,

Schulze
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:41:03 AM EDT
[#49]
States rights end where the bill of rights begin.  The US Constitution is the law of the land, and it explicitly states that no US citizens can be deprived of their rights as protected by the constitution.  Not by any city or state, not anyone.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:48:46 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't see the relationship between a corrupt government official and a state's rights issue.

If the nation adopts a national CCW license, then the feds would decide who can and can't carry. I know the current bill is a national standard, but it's a step in the direction of a nationwide license. I wouldn't have a problem with this if states continued to maintain their own form of the license that citizens could apply for and still carry in their state without involving the feds. But if this goes through, I predict states will cease to issue on account of redundancy with the national license. This means that instead of the the great state of Texas licensing me to carry, the Feds would be licensing me, and there'd be no option otherwise. I like to keep these policies as close to home as possible; I trust my Texas government more than the national government, and I have more influence with them. I'm willing to not have a legal right to carry in blue states.

Thank you,

Schulze

So, you are against this based on some wildass prediction that you are making?????????

This has nothing at all to do with any kind of Federal CCW.  It is just forcing states to treat any state's carry license the same way it treats any state's driver's license or marriage license.

I suggest you go read the bill instead of flying the handle with some wierd "prediction".

Oh, you trust Texas to honor you 2nd Amendment rights?????????  What about those that live in states like California.  Is it right that they are deprived of their 2nd Amendment rights by their state?  No, it is not right.

I said it before, and I will say it again, the RKBA IS a Federal issue.  It is enumerated in the Constitution.  It is constantly being trampled on by several states.  

When it comes to this issue, FUCK STATE'S RIGHTS!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top