Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/17/2006 6:32:48 AM EDT
My visit to the Dr's yesterday went great, but he said I need to drop some poundage. So guys whats a good way to take off some pounds, and keep them off. I know that exercise and eating right are the major factors. But who has time for that!

So how can I get this fat body in shape with the least effort!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:34:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/17/2006 6:35:48 AM EDT by Symtex]
I knife and a wet/dry vac....

Seriously, its going to take a lifestyle change with diet and exercise... Good luck with it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:34:57 AM EDT
if yout cut your intake of soda and alcohol in half and double your water consumption, you will probably see some positive results in a few weeks. even if you do nothing else.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:38:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/17/2006 6:38:46 AM EDT by Cypher214]
No soft drinks.

No junk food. Eat veggies if you need a snack.

No fast food (salads are ok if you go light on the fattening dressings).

No fried food.

Drink lots of water.

Eat healthy foods in moderation.

Exercise.

Forget all the wonder diets that will drop the weight quickly. You will end up gaining all the weight back as soon as you start to cheat. The above method is a well-proven, absolutely guaranteed way to lose weight and keep it off if you stick with it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:39:19 AM EDT
High protein low/no carbohydrate diet.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:39:35 AM EDT
When I was working alot I just ate rice and stuff, it worked. Helps if its just you there so you can limit what you have to eat.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:41:28 AM EDT
The easiest and cheapest way to lose weight is to quit stuffing your piehole with crap and get your ass up and move it around under it's own power.

You owe your body a debt. Pay it off, don't just transfer balances around.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:42:47 AM EDT
I will vote for a Kel-Tec kaboomed bolt to the jaw, wire the pieces of your jaw up, that should do it.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:44:04 AM EDT

Originally Posted By torstin:
if yout cut your intake of soda and alcohol in half and double your water consumption, you will probably see some positive results in a few weeks. even if you do nothing else.

Right now Im drinking at least 2 64Oz glasses of water a day. I need to drink more..
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:46:16 AM EDT
The wife has lost 16 pounds on Weight Watchers. That's an "eat less" program.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:47:19 AM EDT
Increased water consumtion and exercise is a good idea. If you are desperate then put this on the fridge door..

Side affects may include:
Uncontrollable swearing, vomiting, high blood pressure, loose stools thrown at fridge, urges to shoot fridge, and in extreme cases death from hyperventilation due to excessive anger. If symtoms presist see your local ARFCOM'er immediatly
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:50:51 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Fat_McNasty:
My visit to the Dr's yesterday went great, but he said I need to drop some poundage. So guys whats a good way to take off some pounds, and keep them off. I know that exercise and eating right are the major factors. But who has time for that!

So how can I get this fat body in shape with the least effort!

Eat a nice big salad every day with lots of good greens (Romaine, field greens, baby spinach...NO ICEBURG!) and plenty of fresh veggies and only lean meats (chicken) or high protien fish (tuna, salmon).

Eat limited ammounts of whole grain bread.

Make your main source of fat extra virgin oilve oil.

Try and eat smaller meals throughout the day, and pack those meals with fresh fruits and veggies.

Never eat after 7:00 pm.

Drink water only.

Get some decent exercise every day, something that elevates your heart rate and keeps it up there for a good long time and that makes you sweat real good.

Do those things and you will loose weight.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:58:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/17/2006 6:58:36 AM EDT by Fat_McNasty]
Well my real killer is the pain pills they make me want to munch.. so in the evenings I sit in front of arf and munch..
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:59:37 AM EDT

Well my real killer is the pain pills they make me want to munch.. so in the evenings I sit in front of arf and munch..

Well, don't munch!

And if you do, munch on rabbit food!

That'll fix ya up good.

I know the feeling. My worst time for craving food is after 7PM, but you can fight it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:07:01 AM EDT
I have used the Scarsdale Medical Diet for years. Two weeks of regular, everyday food. No weird combos. Plus there is a maintainance diet for when you reach your goal plus other theme diets for variety. 1200-1300 cals a day. Enough to get by, but you aren't going to do much heavy lifting.

I generall lose 10-14 pounds in two weeks. Then I go off it for 2 weeks, without going nuts, and back on for 2 if I need to lose more. At some point you will plateau and not lose any more without increasing your exercise. It will modify your behavior, since it takes some time to reach your goal. I went from 225 to 188 in two months (2 weeks on/two off, etc). It also lowered my BP. When I pass 195 I go on it again till I hit 185-188. Knowing I will do this keeps me in line during the off cycle, since I know I will pay in the future for any present sins.

Once you reach a comfortable weight, you can exercise easier and with less stress on your body/joints.

Check it out on Amazon. Paperback isn't expensive. If you read it and it isn't for you, no big bucks lost.
Good Luck
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:07:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/17/2006 7:09:22 AM EDT by Ralph]
Pretty much good advice here, Basically stop eating shit. Other than salads (I'd skip their dressings and bring my own low fat or take home) Fast food joints have NOTHING good for you. Cutting alcohol out compleatly will also help immensely, alcohol has quite abit of sugar in it and at this point, you don't need any more. Sugar is one of the biggest diet killers there is. I amazes me how many people think they can eat salads during the day and then go home and drink a six pack of beer and say they're "dieting" and then wonder why they don't lose weight. If you're over weight enough that your doctor feels it's become a health issue, then what you need is more of a lifestyle change as far as eating goes and not just a diet. you, ideally want to lose the weight and keep it off, not go up and down. I myself have been on the "South beach diet" it does work, I've lost 35lbs, so far, and kept it off. it's not that hard, No exercise invloved,(but it would'nt hurt) You just learn to quit eating shit, and do this from now on, like I said it's not a "diet' it's a lifestyle change...
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:11:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By John_Wayne777:

And if you do, munch on rabbit food!

That'll fix ya up good.

I know the feeling. My worst time for craving food is after 7PM, but you can fight it.

Carrots might be good.. But can i dip them in chocolate? And why cant people just like me for the large guy I am.. I could just start wearing a mu mu, or sweats.. Hmm can I ware sweats to work.. Ill have to ask..
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:11:48 AM EDT
I'd be careful about what the doctor says. You know what happened last time you tried to get healthy.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:12:20 AM EDT
Stress. I'm gonna need to shop for a 28 inch duty belt soon.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:13:57 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Stealth:
I'd be careful about what the doctor says. You know what happened last time you tried to get healthy.

LOL ya I got the big C
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:14:23 AM EDT
Almonds. Munch on almonds.

That's what Men's health told me to do.
The other thing that I did was their 'Abs Diet' diet. I never got around to doing much of the workouts, just the eating changes. It's based off of the South Beach diet, where you eat 6 times a day. It's not really 6, because 2 of them, might be a hand full of almonds. You eat alot of protein and diary, because I guess your body works harder to digest protein. Not a real meal, but it counts as one. You actually end up eating less, because you're not hungry at meals.
I just did the eating changes (along with binge drinking water) and I lost 14 pounds in a month a half. I'm not fat really either. I'm 5' 11" athletic (played college baseball) and I weighed 219 at the start, and 205 when I started my new job, and kind of got a way from it. Played basketball once in week maybe. So, not a ton of workouts. Plus, I like almonds and cashews.
Worked for me. They also have a lot of good reciped in the book of food that is actually good for you, and tastey.
I'd think about it anyways.Abs Diet website
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:15:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Ralph:
Pretty much good advice here, Basically stop eating shit. Other than salads (I'd skip their dressings and bring my own low fat or take home) Fast food joints have NOTHING good for you. Cutting alcohol out compleatly will also help immensely, alcohol has quite abit of sugar in it and at this point, you don't need any more. Sugar is one of the biggest diet killers there is. I amazes me how many people think they can eat salads during the day and then go home and drink a six pack of beer and say they're "dieting" and then wonder why they don't lose weight...

Ralph mentions alot of good stuff. On the alcohol though, whiskey or vodka has no sugar in it. Mix it with a diet soda and it's alot less bad for you (still not good). Sugar is a huge diet killer.

At 5'10" and 230, I lost 25 lbs (down to 205) just cutting sugar out of my diet. A little splenda in my coffee, Jack and Diet for the alcohol, a piece of sugar free candy a day (a couple peices make my shit like water), and whole grain breads/pastas made the world of difference for me.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:16:14 AM EDT

...NO ICEBURG

Why
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:17:06 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Glockgirl26:

nothing wrong with a rounded girl!! mmmmm
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:18:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Cypher214:
No soft drinks.

That's the #1 easiest way to drop weight IMO. If you drink soda at all, that's an easy one to axe and notice a big payback.

Each can of regular soda is like 110-140 calories and in a normal day you might drink 2-3 cans. That's 330-420 calories you can save each day -- or the equivalent of running 3-4 miles at 6 mph (10 min/mile) on a 2% grade. Think of that the next time you reach for a Coke!

The next easiest way is to give up beer ....

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:20:28 AM EDT

Originally Posted By jthuang:

Good lord man you cannot be serious! noooooooooo!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:20:49 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:31:56 AM EDT
I lost about 12 pounds or so and have kept it off, by cutting back at each meal.
No special foods, no weird diets.
My doctor pointed out the same thing to me. Now granted, I think I was about 50-60 pounds over weight at the time, now down by about 15 pounds. The next few will require work.
I was told by him, that just limiting my portions would help. I was eating enough that I was maintaining my weight. So cutting back even a little, would help.
Now I eat very fast, so his advice didn't quite work for me. He wanted me to take a long time to eat, so my stomach could get the message to my brain it was full. Instead, I cut most of my meals down by 1/3 to 1/2 depending on how "full" I remember being after eating. You know sometimes there is only a little left, and you feel you should finish it even though you feel full already. I cut those in half.
The ones where nothing is left, but I am full at the end, I cut down by about 1/3.
I dropped 10 pounds in about a week and a half.
No freaky foods, no change in my "diet" so to speak. I have been off it for the holidays, but will try to get back at it now. Was almost down by 20 pounds before the holidays. Kept fluctuating between 15-20, so I need to get off my ass now to work out, or cut back a bit more.
Again, I am not starving myself. I normally eat very large portions, so now I am eating a little smaller.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:33:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/17/2006 7:36:34 AM EDT by KnobCreek]
Give up the simple carbohydrates....bread, potatoes, chips, bagels, sweets, doritos, beer (hard liquor, light beer in moderation), crackers....etc. Beside calorie issues, it eliminates all the easy to grab, compulsive eatting snack foods. Shit, I probably saved 600 calories/day at work by not eatting the everpresent bagels, muffins, chips, candy, cookies, etc.

I did this for a 7 months and lost 40 pounds. I've kept it off via moderation. Losing it sucked...keeping it off is pretty easy. Also, and assuming a typical 9-5 type of workday, don't allow yourself to east anything 2-3 hours before bedtime. Also, as noted many times above, eat many smaller meals throughout the day with dinner being one of your smaller meals.

PS....lots of exercise, too. 1 hour of cardio, 5days/week. If you actually want to be able to eat anything of substance while dieting, you have to exercise for at least 45 minutes/session. Otherwise, you're just going to have to starve yourself, or at least feel like you're starving yourself.

No magic formula to losing weight....BURN MORE CALORIES THAN YOU TAKE IN.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:35:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/17/2006 7:36:10 AM EDT by California_Kid]
Get a mountain bike and ride it every weekend.

Stop consuming all sugary foods and soft drinks.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:02:18 AM EDT

Yeah, it's the same as soda but depending on what/how often you drink, the payback is just as much or maybe a bit less. This is because most people who drink soda will regularly drink 2-3 cans per day (one for lunch, one for dinner and one misc drink) but for beer it's not so regular.

A lot of people drink only at happy hour on Friday and maybe Saturday night but nothing during the week. Figure 150 calories per beer, 2-3 drinks per stint -- but that's only 2x per week so you're talking 300-450 calories x 2 days a week = 600-900 calories per week.

Compare that to 2-3 cans of soda per day (which is usually 7x per week because lunch and dinner occur 7x per week, haha) ... 110 calories per can, 3 times per day, 7 days per week = 2,310 calories per week.

Right now I am at the stage where I rarely drink soda but my beer consumption should go down. After the NFL season is over I will drop down to drinking only 2 nights per week (Fri, Sat) instead of 3 days per week. But the problem is that I usually stay out until near closing time, which means I put down 8-10 beers per night ... at 100 calories per light beer, that's 3,000 calories per week in beer during the NFL season and 2,000 calories per week in the offseason.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:04:17 AM EDT

Originally Posted By staraero:

...NO ICEBURG

Why

It has very few nutrients. Generally, darker greens like Romaine and spinach are healthier
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:11:10 AM EDT
Parasites. Tapeworms work well.

Also, try getting sick. A severe case of the flu can cause you to drop a lot of weight.

Maybe severe food poisoning. They kind where it doesn't come out solid for a week.

Or eat less and exercise.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:11:31 AM EDT
After I got married and got out of the Army I gained lots of weight. I was eating crazy without excercising.

I just cut back on the soda and chips. Ate a little less at meals. I lost 80% of the weight that I gained without working out. Good enough for me.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:11:54 AM EDT
South Beach diet. It is working for me (10 lbs lighter in 2 weeks). My mom's 2 friends both lost 40 lbs and 60 lbs each on South Beach, with NO formal exercise. I am also lifting weights and will start doing cardio 3 times a week or so.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:14:21 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Glockgirl26:

nothing wrong with a rounded girl!! mmmmm

Oh, I'm well rounded where I need to be. It's hard enough finding room for everything on a 30 inch belt. I'm no shortie either, just shy of six feet tall.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:24:28 AM EDT
A little over 10 years ago I lost 21lbs in about three months, just by changing my diet... Nothing else.
I stopped drinking milk, and soda...Switched to spring water... Stopped eating foods loaded with fat, no more snack crackers, no more cookies, cake, midnight snacks, etc...
All I did was eat like a rabbit would... Nothing but healthy veggies, meat, rice, water, etc...

Never once did I quit drinking beer... (I was single and active on the bar/nightclub scene)

At that time I started out at 176lbs and got down to a lean and mean 155. I never felt better, and was really surprised at how energetic it made me feel... I felt lean, energetic and "froggy"......
I wanted to fuck every girl I talked to...

Now I'm married, with kids, and up to 210lbs. On a 5'-9" frame, that's just too much...
I have a goal of losing about 50lbs this year... I need to get back down to my prime fighting weight... We'll see what happens...
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:28:47 AM EDT
Loosing the weight is not too tough, following about any weight loss diet will do that. What you want to do is to find a diet you can maintain. One that allows you to eat food you like. For example, I can not maintain the weight I want on a low fat diet, because I can not stand rabbit food.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:29:02 AM EDT

It’s what you eat in between meals that gets most people. Just throw out all the food at home and eat out at good restaurants.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:12:11 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:13:02 AM EDT
Well i plan on starting it tomorrow.. But today for lunch I grabbed 2 corn dogs and a Super big gulp.. I did mix it half diet Pepsi and half Pepsi, so it wont be totally bad for me..

Damn does this mean I have to give up kettle corn!!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:35:20 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:49:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/17/2006 11:58:12 AM EDT by Ralph]

Originally Posted By Jon_C_:

Pretty much good advice here, Basically stop eating shit. Other than salads (I'd skip their dressings and bring my own low fat or take home) Fast food joints have NOTHING good for you. Cutting alcohol out compleatly will also help immensely, alcohol has quite abit of sugar in it and at this point, you don't need any more. Sugar is one of the biggest diet killers there is. I amazes me how many people think they can eat salads during the day and then go home and drink a six pack of beer and say they're "dieting" and then wonder why they don't lose weight...

Ralph mentions alot of good stuff. On the alcohol though, whiskey or vodka has no sugar in it. Mix it with a diet soda and it's alot less bad for you (still not good). Sugar is a huge diet killer.

At 5'10" and 230, I lost 25 lbs (down to 205) just cutting sugar out of my diet. A little splenda in my coffee, Jack and Diet for the alcohol, a piece of sugar free candy a day (a couple peices make my shit like water), and whole grain breads/pastas made the world of difference for me.

Jon..I'm afraid you're wrong..Alcohol... including whiskey, vodka, etc, DOES have sugar in it, lots of it, The sugars are in the grains used to make the mash, and then distill it, they are still present after distillation. I used to drink alot (been sober for 9 years) and at one point made my own beer, It was excellant, and the sugar used was CORN sugar, as it breaks down compleatly when the "wort" is fermenting... Table sugar (cane sugar) won't break down and won't ferment. Beer even "light" beer has lots of sugar in it, you'd be better off drinking a diet soda with NO sugar in it if you're trying to lose weight. Here's something else to think about....What's the diffreence between Alcohol and Ether? Alcohol has water in it, remove the water and you have Ether, Something to think about when snarfing down that next big shot of Jack....
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:06:57 PM EDT
Really the problem is mental. Its in your head and it manifests itself in unhealthy lifestyle habits. I know because I fight this battle every day.
First off you need to drop all the extra sugar and fat from your diet. This means if you have to drink soda, drink diet. Replace some of that with water. Drink lots of water. VERY few things from a convienent store are healthy for you. I work in EMS and work a 24 hours on/48 hours off schedule. I eat breakfast before I go to work. I eat some fruit, have a glass of juice, and a bowl of healthy type cereal (you don't have to eat bran necessarily, but stay away from sugar-heavy cereals). I bring my lunch and dinner to work with me, although I don't always get to eat them at the right times or at all. You should have at least one serving of fruits and vegetables with each meal. For my main course I usually have a Lean Pocket since they are fairly good for you and I can cook them easily.
An additional benefit from this is that I'm not spending as much on food anymore since its cheaper to bring food to work. At home I always have the fruits and vegetables with my meals, but I will cook a chicken breast or piece of pork and eat that as a main course. I've also found that Campbell's Chunky Chili is fairly good as well and it doesn't have near the fat that most canned chilis have. You will just have to experiment. You should eat VERY little fried foods, they are never good for you. I have also noticed that since I started this my appetite has gone down and I'm don't want to eat as much as I used to. Also, NEVER go grocery shopping on an empty stomach, make a list beforehand and stick to it.
As far as excercise goes, I exercise on my days off, which means I work out two days and then have a day off. You will want to have both cardio and some sort of strength training. I run on the treadmill and lift weights. I push myself pretty intensely because I want to lose a lot of weight, but you should at least start mildly. I run for a total of 30 mins, starting gradually for the first couple of minutes until I reach the full speed I want to be at, and then after the 30 mins spend at least a couple of minutes cooling down. Then I move on to the wieghts. A good type of weight training for beginners is circuit training since its just machines, you'll have to look it up on the internet for more info. If you want to lift free weights great, but go with someone who knows what they are doing so that you don't hurt yourself. Once you have an idea of what you want to do then you can do things like bench press on your own. Some people maintain you should always have a spotter, but I stay within limits I know I can reach or ask for a spotter for weights I will have trouble with. Some people in the gym are sourpusses, but most of us are willing to help out, especially if we are working to the same goals.

Well that was about 3x longer than I intended it. IM me if you have any questions, and keep in mind you will have to find something that works for YOU. Everyone's bodies respond to things differently and what works for me or someone else may not be best for you.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:19:31 PM EDT

Jon..I'm afraid you're wrong..Alcohol... including whiskey, vodka, etc, DOES have sugar in it, lots of it, The sugars are in the grains used to make the mash, and then distill it, they are still present after distillation. I used to drink alot (been sober for 9 years) and at one point made my own beer, It was excellant, and the sugar used was CORN sugar, as it breaks down compleatly when the "wort" is fermenting... Table sugar (cane sugar) won't break down and won't ferment. Beer even "light" beer has lots of sugar in it, you'd be better off drinking a diet soda with NO sugar in it if you're trying to lose weight. Here's something else to think about....What's the diffreence between Alcohol and Ether? Alcohol has water in it, remove the water and you have Ether, Something to think about when snarfing down that next big shot of Jack....

You may be right, you may not (not arguing about beer a bit). I don't pretend to know that much. I found a couple of websites that had the Nutrition counted out for a ton of foods, including alcohol and this is what it has for one shot of Jack Daniels:

Calories 79 ( Kilojoules 330 )
% Daily
Value*
Total Fat 0 g 0%
Saturated Fat 0 g 0%
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
Sodium 0 mg 0%
Total Carbohydrates 0 g 0%
Dietary Fiber 0 g 0%
Sugars 0 g
Protein 0 g

As to the ether.... Have you ever been on an ether binge? "There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge, and I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon."
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:23:42 PM EDT
im beginning to think the easiest thing for you might just be to have your jaw wired shut.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:26:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/17/2006 12:28:55 PM EDT by LonePathfinder]

Switch to the hard liquor! Drink shots or on ice. Problem solved

Just drink milk with meals, water or liquor. Eat three normal balanced meals a day and no snacks.

If you want to snack, just poor some liquor. Usually it suffices the craving for something to eat/drink while watching TV.

Edit: Park a half mile or mile away from work so you are forced to walk everyday.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:31:45 PM EDT
Eat somewhat-less fat and do somewhat-more exercise.

Trying to lose weight by starvation is a very difficult way to go about it, and usually doesn't give a permanent result anyway.
~
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:35:30 PM EDT
Regular exercise and a balanced diet are the only ways to lose weight AND maintain it. Don't fool yourself with gimmics, pills, or some fad bullshit. Find some form of cardiovascular exercise that you enjoy (cycling, jogging, stairstepper, etc) and stick with it. Don't take long breaks (more than a couple days) or you will slide back into the abyss. Don't starve yourself, just cut out soda, deserts, and especially fast food. Drink a large glass of cold water before every meal. Stay hydrated

The key is consistency and patience.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:39:08 PM EDT
Whenever possible: walk. To the grocery store, errands, etc. You'll save gas money, too.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:46:55 PM EDT
do not eat out for lucnch - buy shaved turkey/etc and make sammiches
go to diet or coke zero/ pepsi one- lots of calories in POP
do not make a pile of food and try to finish it because its there- save some or throw rest away
light beer
try drinking more water
move around more
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top