Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/17/2006 12:12:52 AM EDT
I was thinking about this the other day. Me personally I've been interested in guns all my life, since i was a kid that was the toy i wanted, over the years i've ventured off to other hobbies but always come back to guns. As far as friends in this hobby i'm pretty much by myself, dont get me wrong i have a shooting buddy, but all in all he doesnt know shit about guns, only what i tell him. Every gun that hes bought was from my suggestion, he loves guns just not like me i guess. I research about all varieties and am pretty well versed in all types, i have about five hundred pounds of books just on the topic. I'm very selective to who i show my guns too, usually when people find out i'm into guns they ask how many i have. To me thats a personal question and just say one or two. Is this a loner hobby? I'm not one of those guys that has 15 drinking buddies, most of my friends have been my friends for 20 or so years and none of them are into guns. I bought my fiancee an AR and built her an AK, bought her a pistol as well and she shows interest but i truely know shes just showing interest because she knows its my passion (she's a damn good woman). Am i alone or are there others in the same boat as me? Joe
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:16:48 AM EDT
Shooting is very much an individual sport.

I live in CA. There ain't no way I'd be able to have a lot of gun-related friends. I've got two friends at school that are into guns. The rest, well, I just don't bother to tell. They know of my past and that I can hold my own in a firefight, but I leave out the fact that I enjoy the shooting sports and support the 2nd Amendment.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:34:18 AM EDT
I have no friends, just relations and they all get that glassy eyed stare when I start talking about guns, politics, or history. Oh well.....
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:49:57 AM EDT
Tons of friends into guns, mainly the Ohio ARFcom crew but some of my personal friends are gun guys too.

The Ohio arfcom shoots are almost monthly, and are as much about getting together with buddies as it is shooting. I think we BS more than shoot.

I wouldn't enjoy this hobby much, if it were just me. No fun, unless you can share.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:12:11 AM EDT
I have one or two, and a few that are more like ammo leaches, always wanting to go shooting when I go just to blast with my guns and such.

Some friends I do not even discuss it with, not because of their aversion to the sport, but because I cannot seem to get through their ignorance of it. They cannot comprehend the finer points of gun laws, smooth triggers, calibers, bullet types, etc, and never will. It is aggravating.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:36:16 AM EDT

Originally Posted By hughjafj:
I have no friends, just relations and they all get that glassy eyed stare when I start talking about guns, politics, or history. Oh well.....

Its funny you say it like that because i feel ya. I have a bunch of motorcycle friends, guys i meet at different functions and open houses at the local motorcycle shop. These are guys i can call on a seconds notice to go riding somewhere or just go on a cruize if i'm bored. These same guys are into guns, but when the subject of guns comes up its so hush hush its sickening, two of my motorcycle buddies are real close buddies and go shooting all the time but when i suggested we go shooting sometime nothing ever came of it. But on the other hand when i mention lets go riding their at my door at 6am to go to chicago just for the ride, its odd.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:56:47 AM EDT
Not to my level.
They like shooting and have guns, it just isn't their life, like it is for me.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:03:34 AM EDT
about half half. the other half says "why need guns when u have these *flex muscles*"
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:04:41 AM EDT
Yep, most of my friends own and carry guns.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:15:47 AM EDT
The vast majority of my friends are not into guns. But I don't see that as a problem. If we all liked the same stuff I think that would get pretty boring. Some have expressed interest and like the range, but not enough to buy.......yet.

I only have two shooting buddies really, one being my bro (who is in NC so we don't go all that often) and the other is in Iraq.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:19:38 AM EDT
My friends are about half-n-half, and the non-shooters would like to own one or more.

I don't really have any friends that are against guns, gunowners or CHL holders.

HH
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:24:36 AM EDT
Friends? What is this thing you call.."friends"?

I don't have anybody I can just call anytime and go out shooting. About the only person I ever really hang with is my brother, who is a firearms instrcutor and very gun savvy, but he just isn't as "into it" as I am. We haven't been shooting together in years.

SGB makes a for a hell of an instructor in his own right, though.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:33:17 AM EDT
I live in AZ, I think 95% of my friends own guns
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:36:44 AM EDT
I have one true gun-nut friend.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:38:40 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SS109:
Not to my level.
They like shooting and have guns, it just isn't their life, like it is for me.

+1

I have a fair number of friends that are "in" to gunz, but only one of them as much as me (and I hardly ever see him).
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:39:39 AM EDT
I dont know anybody that doesnt like guns, but I am neck deep in the machine gun industry, so I think i am different from most. I dont have any liberal friends at all.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:41:32 AM EDT

I don't think I have any friends that aren't somehow gun or hunting related.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:51:03 AM EDT
Tons. Different races, several nationalities, both sexes. Everyone from an Army Major to an ER nurse. You should see our BBQ parties. For example, "Enfield appreciation day". (Everyone brings their favorites)

Maybe if you guys spent less time on the internet?
Top Top