Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2006 10:34:04 PM EDT
My brother was in Karbala last week guarding an Iraqi National Guard post there and at 4:30 AM [night] he recieved incomming tracer fire from a machine gun at 400meters.

He had been listening to his Ipod that was sitting on his patrol pack and ducked under a ledge on the edge of the roof as cement began to get torn up by the incomming rounds and peeked up to locate the source of firing in a lull and spotted the building fire was comming from and returned 100rds from his M4 amid return fire.  

Soon the firing stopped and he kept a low profile for half an hour.  

Later on when the sun came up he grabbed his assault pack and realized that flying cement chips had taken out his IPOD.  

He called apple and they said that cement debris from incomming rounds is outside the warranted manufacturers defects.  

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:36:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll chip in $20 to get him a new one.  Tell me where to send you the money.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:48:02 PM EDT
[#2]
That is BS on Apple's part.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:49:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

You got that right.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:52:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I say we write to Apple about this and let news agencies know. He'll get his Ipod back in no time once the media gets a hold of this...

I'm in for $10 for a new one..

Give me a paypal address
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:53:46 PM EDT
[#5]
It's not a rant to get a new Ipod.  I just thought it was interesting, and yeah its bull shit Apple can't cover one when this is a rare occurance.  Tactical Tailor would cover a replacement chest harness; Leupold or Trijicon would probably fix or replace a scope.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:59:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Give us an address..He deserves a new IPod! That's the least we can do for one of our heros..

Hopefully he get's to put a couple notches in his buttstock too
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:06:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Man, Apple just missed out on a killer biz op there.  Could you imagine how many of them little squawk boxes they would sell if they had replaced it and that got out on the net that they warranted a soldier's shot up iPod?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:11:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I think they are already selling them as fast as they can make them...
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:12:52 PM EDT
[#9]
That's odd, I've heard Apple is more lenient than most when it comes to Ipod warranties...

Lame that they didn't step up.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:21:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:24:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Apple is founded by a hippie. Probably anti's
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:25:15 PM EDT
[#12]
"Why was he listening to music while on guard duty?"

Everyone eventually listens to music on guard duty.  [earphones laying there making as much noise as earphones can make- not in a soldiers ears]

When you spend 1/2 a year running missions in more dangerous spots and the other 1/2 pulling 12 hour guard shifts in areas that seem far safer in comparison you have to do something to keep from dieing of bordom.  Most of the time no one is shooting.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:32:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
That's odd, I've heard Apple is more lenient than most when it comes to Ipod warranties...

'

They ARE VERY LENIENT, generally speaking. I took peoples ipods back which were under warrenty but had clearly been dropped from like oh say 20 ft high, cracked screen and looks like it had been run over with a truck, and apple replaceted it for nothing. Its part of there "S&D" suprise and delight, they strive for in the stores....  I worked part time for 4 months at the Apple store on Knox St here in dallas one semester during Undergrad. They do try to help those who buy there products!  That being said, Im really suprised, they didnt at least work something out but gave a flat, "we wont cover nor cant help" or whatever.  That sucks apple wont help out the armed forces, but then again, what do you expect from a group who has Al Gore on the board of trustees.  I love apple, alot more then most, however, I am really disheartened to learn they would help a guy out with a thing like that.  Having Gore on the board is one thing I was rather unhappy with when they announced it, otherwise they are usually a solid company which does strife to help the consumer whenever possible.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:31:35 AM EDT
[#14]
It sucks, but how is apple supposed to really know your brother's in the Army and and those are really the circumstances. I mean, if I slam the fridge door on my Ipod, I'm gonna say I was runover by a jeep in Falluja while I was wearing it. It ain't a manufacturer defect. Plus, Apple is pinko but it was probably some lowly customer rep who's heard it all and had to make a decision. Not saying it's right or wrong, just look at the other side of it. It has nothing to do with lack of gratitude. I'm positive they've heard it all.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:39:58 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Oh come on.    While it would be NICE of Apple to replace it, and good PR, they are hardly obligated to warranty something broken in  a war zone.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:00:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Wonder if this applies..

"If you own an iPod, and it requires service for any other issue, Apple will replace your iPod for the service fee listed below, plus $6.95 shipping and handling.

iPod $249
iPod Nano & iPod Mini   $189
iPod shuffle $89 "
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:04:22 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh come on.    While it would be NICE of Apple to replace it, and good PR, they are hardly obligated to warranty something broken in  a war zone.

+1.  Warranty replacements are for defects in workmanship at the factory.  If they choose to replace it for him to get some good PR, that's great and all, but no one should EXPECT them to do it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:25:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Don't forget Apple is an Uberliberal company, so supporting troops is not on their priority list.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:54:50 AM EDT
[#19]
I bet if he calls back and just says it fell off a table and onto the ground it would get replaced.  Telling someone your iPod got shot is not going to get you a new one.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:02:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:09:19 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Everyone eventually listens to music on guard duty.  [earphones laying there making as much noise as earphones can make- not in a soldiers ears]
When you spend 1/2 a year running missions in more dangerous spots and the other 1/2 pulling 12 hour guard shifts in areas that seem far safer in comparison you have to do something to keep from dieing of bordom.  Most of the time no one is shooting.  

I think I'd rather be bored than not be able to hear what was going on around me where just about everybody could be a threat.  What service is he in?  Even though they are not in his ears,  seems pretty sloppy to me.  Nothing like telling the bad guys just where you are if he's close.  

Pssst, Acchhhhhmeed!  Throw grenade at source of American devil music!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:21:35 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

'

They ARE VERY LENIENT, generally speaking. I took peoples ipods back which were under warrenty but had clearly been dropped from like oh say 20 ft high, cracked screen and looks like it had been run over with a truck, and apple replaceted it for nothing. Its part of there "S&D" suprise and delight, they strive for in the stores....  I worked part time for 4 months at the Apple store on Knox St here in dallas one semester during Undergrad. They do try to help those who buy there products!  That being said, Im really suprised, they didnt at least work something out but gave a flat, "we wont cover nor cant help" or whatever.  That sucks apple wont help out the armed forces, but then again, what do you expect from a group who has Al Gore on the board of trustees.  I love apple, alot more then most, however, I am really disheartened to learn they would help a guy out with a thing like that.  Having Gore on the board is one thing I was rather unhappy with when they announced it, otherwise they are usually a solid company which does strife to help the consumer whenever possible.

I expect alot of it is with the rep who took the call/email from them also.  In a case like that Id try to slip it by under warrenty if I was the rep.  I try and help out people in the military at work.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:23:54 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.  Warranty replacements are for defects in workmanship at the factory.  If they choose to replace it for him to get some good PR, that's great and all, but no one should EXPECT them to do it.

+2
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:27:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Why not just box it up, ship it to Apple with a letter that complains about the volume control not working properly. When the open the box, see the iPod is damaged, they will assume it was damaged during shipping. <wink, wink>
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:57:50 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Why was he listening to music while on guard duty?

Seems kinda bad for situational awareness.

+1  Complacency kills...
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:28:12 AM EDT
[#26]
"It sucks, but how is apple supposed to really know your brother's in the Army and and those are really the circumstances. I mean, if I slam the fridge door on my Ipod, I'm gonna say I was runover by a jeep in Falluja while I was wearing it. It ain't a manufacturer defect. Plus, Apple is pinko but it was probably some lowly customer rep who's heard it all and had to make a decision. Not saying it's right or wrong, just look at the other side of it. It has nothing to do with lack of gratitude. I'm positive they've heard it all."

His APO address might lend credability.  I don't know.  I would just say it's so rare that one gets hit by flying debris in combat that it doesn't sound absurd that they would replace it.  That warranty replacement cost or whatever sounds like sticker price at $198 on a nano- I could be wrong though.

You kind of have to understand defensive positions- they generally are built with at least 100yds of dead space meaning that most of what you are doing is observing.  You aren't going to hear the enemy step from 100yds out.  I think the best bet for hearing is the sound of an RPG getting loaded into the launcher and generally I've heard that from 300meters out so I don't think it would be tough to hear over headphones playing in the background.  The round makes a metallic sound kind of like the spring in an M4 buffer tube.  Im not totally sure though that sound could have been leaving the launcher too.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:35:31 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
That warranty replacement cost or whatever sounds like sticker price at $198 on a nano- I could be wrong though.

+1
It's REAL nice of them to offer replacement service for a fee that's equal to the cost of buying a new one. Plus you'd get that one in your hand same day, instead of waiting a week for shipping.
Jackasses.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:37:15 AM EDT
[#28]
If he talks to a higher up at Apple, they will probably send him a new one for free.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:37:45 AM EDT
[#29]

He called apple and they said that cement debris from incomming rounds is outside the warranted manufacturers defects.

FUBAR
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:44:16 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

FUBAR

How is that?    You expect Apple to design them to withstand SHRAPNEL?   WTF?

CUstomer expect too much FREE SHIT now days.   Well, nothing is free, the other customers pay for it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:45:43 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

FUBAR

CUstomer expect too much FREE SHIT now days.   Well, nothing is free, the other customers pay for it.

You go to war with the iPods you have, not the iPods you want.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:04:28 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FUBAR

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:16:00 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FUBAR

lol...
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:31:55 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

It would be one thing if it was broken in a stampede at a Dixie Chicks concert.  Or was shot up in that New Orleans "Coming Home" parade a couple days ago.  Or had coke spillled on it at the premiere of Bareback Mounting.

To have it damaged in the line of duty is another thing entirely.  Intolerant, even.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:37:34 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
That warranty replacement cost or whatever sounds like sticker price at $198 on a nano- I could be wrong though.

+1
It's REAL nice of them to offer replacement service for a fee that's equal to the cost of buying a new one. Plus you'd get that one in your hand same day, instead of waiting a week for shipping.
Jackasses.

Actually, those "any other issue" replacement prices looked like they were, essentially, $10-$20  off of sticker.  Last time I saw a Shuffle, it was $99, and on the pricelist that HH posted, it looked like it was $89.  (love that shipping from popoye's )
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:39:29 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

FUBAR

No, of course i don't expect Apple to design their Ipods against shrapnel

But would it be too much to ask them for a little extra courtesy in a very special circumstance like this one? I mean these soldiers are fighting overseas. Yeah sure if i drop my Ipod on the floor, oh well-tough shit, but maybe a US Soldier fighting overseas who had his Ipod shot up might deserve a little bit better treatment. Just my opinion, & i'm sure many people would support it.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:42:29 AM EDT
[#37]
If I were him I'd keep it just for the conversation piece for his grandkids.

"...Ol' Granddad was fightin' the terrorists in Karbala listenin' to his iPod..."

"What's an iPod, Grampa?"

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:44:04 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1
Jackasses.

Actually, those "any other issue" replacement prices looked like they were, essentially, $10-$20  off of sticker.  Last time I saw a Shuffle, it was $99, and on the pricelist that HH posted, it looked like it was $89.  (love that shipping from popoye's )

Plus, they listed a flat rate shipping fee  Have 'em ship it to him..hehehehe
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:45:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Ban cement
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:49:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Latest rant by Ms Clinton:

George Bush doesn't care about the troops! This administration is refusing to buy armor plating for the troops essential equipment. In fact, 100% of Ipod injuries are due to shrapnel that penetrates the equipments covers. etc etc...
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:50:49 PM EDT
[#41]
"How is that? You expect Apple to design them to withstand SHRAPNEL? WTF?

CUstomer expect too much FREE SHIT now days. Well, nothing is free, the other customers pay for it."

I don't think customers expect too much free shit-- I just think soldiers have enough shit to deal with.  I kind of think as rare as this happens it's the "Why not" category.  

Just my opinion.  I know what Tactical tailor and Eagle would do if the gear got shot up and rendered unserviceable.  Blackhwak has a similar policy although it is vaugue and involves wether or not they like the story you give them which they could use for marketing later on if my idea of it is accurate-- I know Ipod is hard to relate to soldiers but a lot of soldiers have them anymore.  My unit was like one in 3 or 4 soldiers and as time goes on I'm guessing that number is going up.  

I expect nothing I just thought it wasn't very "BIG" of them to not offer any type of reduced replacement cost or anything like that.  

I had three personal optics screwed up in Iraq by dumbasses I worked around [one was a US Optics SN3 MKII and I'm still cringing just wondering what the hell that will cost].  I didn't ask for any of the companies to replace or fix them free of charge; if my optic had gotten shot or blown up I might hope they'ld give me the nod on that.    
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:50:59 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
i am in for some cash on replaceing it for him as well.

+1
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:06:34 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You got that right.

Really?
Why?
Shit gets shot up - why should apple pay for a free one?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:17:50 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Don't forget Apple is an Uberliberal company, so supporting troops is not on their priority list.

Gimme a break.
I'm getting a little tired of the "suuporting the troops" line.
Does a soldier/Marine/airman need an iPod?
Nope - so why should Apple give away free shit?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:26:00 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think I'd rather be bored than not be able to hear what was going on around me where just about everybody could be a threat.  What service is he in?  Even though they are not in his ears,  seems pretty sloppy to me.  Nothing like telling the bad guys just where you are if he's close.  

Pssst, Acchhhhhmeed!  Throw grenade at source of American devil music!

He's on guard duty. That means hadji already knows where he's at. What's worse for SA? Being awake with some music playing or dozing with no sound?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top