Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
10mm Automatic
Winchester 175 gr. Super-X® Silvertip® Hollow Point
Muzzle Velocity- 1290fps              Muzzle Energy-649

I love the .45, but it ain't gonna top numbers like that.
<snip>

Thus the reason I moved from ACP to Supers, Supers have those numbers, plus a bit.

I would also consider a 45 super to be more comparable.   You can fire the Super from any quality 45acp pistol anyhow.   It will beat the crap out of it but so will hot 10mms.

Glock G20 is made to handle the hot 10mm rounds

Tsk, tsk, hot 10 mm and Tupperware, can you say, hand grenade?

one of the best 10mm guns still being made.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:09:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
10mm Automatic
Winchester 175 gr. Super-X® Silvertip® Hollow Point
Muzzle Velocity- 1290fps              Muzzle Energy-649

I love the .45, but it ain't gonna top numbers like that.
<snip>

Thus the reason I moved from ACP to Supers, Supers have those numbers, plus a bit.

I would also consider a 45 super to be more comparable.   You can fire the Super from any quality 45acp pistol anyhow.   It will beat the crap out of it but so will hot 10mms.

Glock G20 is made to handle the hot 10mm rounds

Tsk, tsk, hot 10 mm and Tupperware, can you say, hand grenade?

one of the best 10mm guns still being made.

I once owned a model 29, it spit out more pregger cases than I care to recall.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:10:37 PM EDT
[#3]
If you want a really one sided 45 vs 10mm check a .460 Rowland ( based on the .45acp using a simple barrel swap conversion for the 1911s)

460 Rowland
Factory Ballistics
185 grain at 1,550 fps
200 grain at 1,450 fps
230 grain at 1,340 fps

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:11:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

bad ammo
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:16:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

bad ammo

No, just my own rounds, that had been worked up it cooler weather. With a thirty degree increase in ambient temp, the cases became preggers. As the saying goes, shyte happens, or nearly happened...
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:21:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I vote for 9mm.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:14:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
exactly, the transference of energy is by far the equation which means more to stopping power to me than energy velocity...

Not true.
Its all about the wound channel. The one that goes in at the diameter of hte bullet and goes out the size of a softball is the one with more stopping power. The one the goes in and opens up and rips tissue is the one that has more stopping power.

Again, its not about transferring the energy into the taget. Its about damage done to tissue.

Yup, a handgun does have enough enery for knockdown power compared to a rifle. With a rifle the higher energy will expand the surounding tissue and will kill instantly if the heart is damaged in this way. Handguns need to have penetration for good stopping power.

Good but boring read about this
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:50:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I own several .45's, and only one 10mm (1st gen glock 20/potential hand grenade).
.45 is my favorite handgun round at the range - but I carry the glock. Worst case, self-defense ka-boom, bad guy and I dance with glock shrapnel
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:50:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I say .45

My buddy says 10mm.

A dinner is riding on this...

Whichever one you can put between the eyes..................once again let me repeat myself.....NO handgun round will "drop" anyone.   Stopping power comes from multiple hits (sometimes six or more)or a head shot.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:26:53 AM EDT
[#10]
No one makes a good bullet for the 10mm.

Police dont use it so there is no incentive.

They make very good bullets for the .45 now, so I would have to go with it.

Course right now I carry a 9mm!  It also has very good bullets available now.

I would like to see someone build a 220grn  deep cavity JHP for the 10mm in a standard pressure loading.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:41:11 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I say .45

My buddy says 10mm.

Shoot each other.

Makes about as much sense as your debate.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:55:00 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
there is no such thing as 'stopping power'

10mm has more energy than a .45.

they both suck because no matter how powerful you load 'em...  they are still pistols and let's face it, pistols suck for shooting things.

Compare the above info to the 5.56

55gr FMJ going 3240fps delivers energy of 1280

Quoted because you are the only person in this whole damn thread that understands the role of a sidearm.

9mm .40 .45 10mm. It dont matter boys.
Just choose the pistol you can hit with under stress.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:58:39 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I say .45

My buddy says 10mm.

Shoot each other.

People were looking for you on this board last week, Im not sure if they missed you or wanted to kick your ass.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:04:36 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
People were looking for you on this board last week, Im not sure if they missed you or wanted to kick your ass.

Reality just isnt as much fun as the internet, is it?

I myself gave up on fairytales a long-ass time ago.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:05:20 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I say .45

My buddy says 10mm.

Shoot each other.

Probably a little of both.  You know what they say, "Lumpy is the spice of life."
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:59:02 AM EDT
[#16]
I had a matching set of Glock 29 and 30 (10mm and .45)..guns were about identical in dimensions. I could shoot objects back to back (water jugs, small logs) and you could definently tell the difference. 10mm hit everything harder.  On the other hand the .45 was freakishly accurate and quicker/easier to shoot.Last year I had to sell one to raise money in a hurry..

Sure do miss that 10mm

You owe your buddy a dinner
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top