Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/16/2006 9:04:52 PM EDT
So whats the verdict on Olympic Arms? Reliable, quality or unreliable junk?

Looking at a pistol caliber, they make one that takes the Glock mags

I saw several brands of ARs at the last funshow, not too many Olympics though
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:05:28 PM EDT
Junk
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:06:28 PM EDT
they're from washington, just like 1gunrunner
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:06:32 PM EDT
Once again...

Armalite
Bushmaster
Colt
or

RRA

Competition rifles like Compass Lake, etc. are also allowed.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:07:09 PM EDT
I like mine........a couple thousand rounds from me and i bought it used only thing i have had to replace was the extractor spring.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:07:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TheRedHorseman:

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:07:49 PM EDT

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:08:50 PM EDT
We do not carry them anymore
seriously spend the extra $200 for a ABC or RRA
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:11:05 PM EDT
I have had one for several years and it has about 10,000 rounds on it with no problems.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:11:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By www-glock19-com:

I wanted the one that uses Glock 9mm magazines for cheap practice
(I can't afford as much ammo as you guys)

Any other way to get that other than buying from them, and any way to fix theirs?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:12:00 PM EDT
get a mag block for uzi mags or sten mags.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:13:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 22bad:

Any other way to get that other than buying from them, and any way to fix theirs?

get a 9mm RRA converted UZI mags are cheap
i just bought one a month ago I love it
runs like a top shoots 2 MOA
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:17:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 22bad:

get a 9mm RRA converted UZI mags are cheap
i just bought one a month ago I love it
runs like a top shoots 2 MOA

Switching to Glock pistols(at least I think I am)
for once, I wanted a companion piece, not looking good so far
Is there some way to improve their $900 9mm Glock mag pistol caliber AR?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:17:54 PM EDT
if you want a good carbine that takes glock mags, get the kel tec sub 2000, far less expensive and just a great little gun
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:19:32 PM EDT
I have had one of their lowers for 6-7 years now, no problems.

I understand that their quality is much better in the past few years. There are some WA folks that would have the latest news.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:20:47 PM EDT

if you want a good carbine that takes glock mags, get the kel tec sub 2000, far less expensive and just a great little gun

I checked it out at the funshow, it was waaaay to short for me
I want the AR configuration anyway
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:44:00 PM EDT
I haven't done anything with their pistol-caliber stuff. Their .223 bare lowers, components, and uppers have worked fine for me.

All the wankers whining about them have probably never tried them.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:04:38 PM EDT
I have been very happy with my complete rifle and my seperate upper. Very accurate and really no issues or malfunctions with them.

-K
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:05:19 PM EDT
Oly is mostly junk. Their warranty is junk and the customer service is total junk. You may get a good one, but if it breaks you will be screwed. They sold dozens locally with loose, crooked or improperly mounted comps.

I watched a friend shoot the comp off the barrel on a brand new Oly. Their warranty was to tell the guy to his face, "we mount them loose in case you want to take them off, you should have checked." no repair allowed, good bye.

And for the Oly apologists. Yes I was present and standing next to the guy when the Oly factory slob said that.

Buy a quality gun from a decent company and you'll be smiling long after your Oly upper snaps off at the barrel, the firing pin or bolt breaks, it blows up with USGI ammo, the comp falls off, the anodized finish turns purple or any of the other typical OLY problems occur.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:06:47 PM EDT
Have had two of their lower receivers for a couple years, no complaints.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:07:05 PM EDT
Had one I shot a bunch of ammo through, no problems other than a bolt busting, and it may not have even been a Oly part.

Aviator
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:09:57 PM EDT
Junk, and they used to have one of the biggest assholes in the gun industry handling customer service...
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:11:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By lonegunman:

I watched a friend shoot the comp off the barrel on a brand new Oly. Their warranty was to tell the guy to his face, "we mount them loose in case you want to take them off, you should have checked." no repair allowed, good bye.

Same thing happened to me...they didn't mount it loose either...
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:21:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/17/2006 5:22:43 PM EDT by the_great_snag]
I have an OLY lower and I like it just fine. It actually assembled easier than my DPMS lower and it seems to be holding up better. The DPMS seems to have a problem with the FCG pins walking since I installed an RRA trigger in it. I might have to get the anti-walk pin thingie for it.

I have not tried an oly rifle though. Too many negative comments about them on this site for me to bother risking my hard-earned green...

EDIT: if you must go OLY, buy their lower and then buy GOOD parts from reputable manufacturers to finish it off. You will like it better and it will cost much less. Besides, building them is almost as much fun as shooting them!!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:02:20 PM EDT
I have been using an Oly lower for several years on a comp rifle......no issues, but I have never tried their uppers.

SRM
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:46:39 PM EDT
I got a great deal ($599) on a K16, which has a 16" heavy barrel (not a "ultra-match" barrel), with free-float handguard. I have about 500 rounds through it, with zero malfunctions. I briefly mounted a 10X scope on it to see what it could do, and shot sub MOA with Black Hills 55 grain ball.

I'd have to say I'm pleasantly surprised with it.

As for the other brands... I own a Colt HBAR, with several thousand rounds through it, no problems to speak of. My dad bought a RRA Varminter, had to send it back because the trigger was malfunctioning, causing it to double and triple. My brother bought an Armalite A4, which had functioning problems. Replaced the gas tube (on our own, didn't want to bother with sending it back), and it runs fine now.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:01:55 PM EDT
Would it be out of the question to move this to the Glock Forum in hope of a few more replies?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:04:37 PM EDT
I have an Olympic 9mm upper, a Socom block and use STEN mags.

Very reliable and a lot of fun. No problems at all.
Top Top