User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2006 2:34:03 PM EDT
i got it at a good deal, post pics if you have them

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:35:34 PM EDT
[#1]
will post pictures later
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:36:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Number 4 Mk 1*  owner here.  but oddly, I don't have pics.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:41:50 PM EDT
[#3]
dont use "A" before a word that starts with a vowel, instead you use "AN"

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:51:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Go to CSP gun talk.com look up the Enfield forum
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:59:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Jadoch, Herr Grammar Nazi!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:04:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought a new condition #4 Mk 2 about ten years ago. I bought 300 rounds of ammo for it about 5 years ago. I still have never fired it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:05:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I hate mine, but I can't sell it because it's too kick-ass.

For some reason, I can't hit anything with it... though, it's likely me, not the gun.  Then, I have to spend several times longer to clean it than anything else I shoot.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:12:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I have both a No III and a Mk 4.

The Mk4 has decent accuracy.

Can't hit the side of a barn with the No III.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:15:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

+1 for pointing out the proper use of indefinite articles.

-Eleventy billion for not capitalizing the first word of your sentence.

To the gimp box with you!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:18:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I haven't shot an enfield in 14 years unless you count the sporterized abomination one guy had at the rifle range, and i don't care if i shoot one again.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:21:27 PM EDT
[#11]
question, about how much does a person have to give up for one of these?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:23:28 PM EDT
[#12]
175 for mine in pristine condition
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:26:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
question, about how much does a person have to give up for one of these?

I think $80 when I drove to an ARFcom shoot in Ohio and stopped at AIM Surplus.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:35:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:13:24 PM EDT
[#15]
I would definately recommend a No. 4 Mk 1 or 2 if you can find an un-sporterized one.  

They are capable of excellent accuracy and are highly rated by some as a good SHTF gun due to their simplicity, accuracy potential, availability of surplus ammo, and hi-capacity (for a bolt action) magazine.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:18:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:54:32 PM EDT
[#17]
No4 MkII "Irish Contract"

Bought this new and "in the wrap" in July of 2000. My first firearm.

Bought this for $370.00

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:58:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Here's a thread with Enfield pics (including mine)....

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=14&t=193062
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:00:01 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Bought this for $370.00

tinypic.com/keau5u.jpg

that thing is beautiful!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:10:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Here is mine.. Its a P17!!

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:12:52 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Bought this for $370.00

tinypic.com/keau5u.jpg

That looks just like my No4Mk1/2FTR. An AJ Parker manufactured one.

One that I owned that was as rare as rocking horse shit was a No1 Mk1***, manufactured in 1905.
It really was a thing of beauty with a real history to it, but I sold it on a whim, which I sometimes regret now

Mark
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:13:05 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

webpages.charter.net/FatMcNasty/IMG_1864.JPG

what a fucking disgrace
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:16:04 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Bought this for $370.00

tinypic.com/keau5u.jpg

I got one of those about 12 years ago. Its still unfired and has grease in the barrel.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:16:49 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

what a fucking disgrace

Yeah, and clean up your shop.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:30:18 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

what a fucking disgrace

What what what!! You guys ain't down with the .460 Wby Mag!?! She'll be purdy when she is finished.. The pic is of when I was inletting the stock. The red stuff is printers ink.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:56:31 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
What what what!! You guys ain't down with the .460 Wby Mag!?! She'll be purdy when she is finished.. The pic is of when I was inletting the stock. The red stuff is printers ink.

Not to put words in anybody's mouth, but I suspect the objection might have been the act of taking a rifle out of historical condition.

I can respect that point of view, but I have to say, unless it was still in good historical condition -- if it was a piece of crap -- I'd much rather have it be ressurected into something useful.  

If it's a wall hanger or a hunk of unusable junk, it's dead.  If it still shoots, it's still alive, even if not in original condition.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:00:36 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not to put words in anybody's mouth, but I suspect the objection might have been the act of taking a rifle out of historical condition.

I can respect that point of view, but I have to say, unless it was still in good historical condition -- if it was a piece of crap -- I'd much rather have it be ressurected into something useful.  

If it's a wall hanger or a hunk of unusable junk, it's dead.  If it still shoots, it's still alive, even if not in original condition.  

dont bash enfields and get the fuck out of my thread!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:05:43 PM EDT
[#28]
One of the great bolt action rifles, good choice
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:16:44 PM EDT
[#29]
 I love my Enfield. I've had this one for several years now I got it  for $50.00 and it shoots great.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:20:23 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

what a fucking disgrace

.460 is a very fun plinking rifle. I am sure it will turn out great.

I have a factory built one myself.  Great for shooting magpies
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:09:53 PM EDT
[#31]
When you are done, it will be just another Bubba gun abortion that will look like some Gomer in the Carolinas (no offense to the Carolinas) thought he knew what he was doing.  When you are done, you will likely have $350 in a gun worth about $75.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:46:05 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
When you are done, it will be just another Bubba gun abortion that will look like some Gomer in the Carolinas (no offense to the Carolinas) thought he knew what he was doing.  When you are done, you will likely have $350 in a gun worth about $75.

Well thank you... And I hope some day I can go to your job and tell you how great of a job your doing..
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:05:48 PM EDT
[#33]
I have one that my Grandfather gave me that he had sporterized with a nice walnut stock. It shoots about 2" at 100 yards and is a realy tough rifle . I remember him telling me he paid $11.00 for it . I love it for sentimental reasons and would never sell it. You should be happy with it . what more could you ask for in a rifle for $11.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:08:59 PM EDT
[#34]
I have one that my Grandfather gave me that he had sporterized with a nice walnut stock. It shoots about 2" at 100 yards and is a realy tough rifle . I remember him telling me he paid $11.00 for it . I love it for sentimental reasons and would never sell it. You should be happy with it . what more could you ask for in a rifle for $11.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:17:31 AM EDT
[#35]
1916 BSA

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:16:19 AM EDT
[#36]
I actually know where you can find an all original No.1 Mk.1 numbers matching TWO digit s/n Enfield.  Just gotta be willing to pay the price.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:45:29 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Will_Rogers, you are one ignorant person.

I'm not really sure where to start concerning your asinine remarks, but it would be lacking on my part to simply say that you are incorrect in your "well thought out" analysis of Bubba and his Gomer gun.  First off Fat_McNasty is no "Bubba" with a hack saw and arc-welder.  More to the point would be that Fat_McNasty is a "gifted Bubba" with a hack saw and arc-welder.  He has made several custom firearms as per customer requests and your one off, smart ass insulting remarks only goes to show your ignorance.

Before insulting someone based on a picture a of half-completed firearm project, you should see some of his other projects.  A few of which can be seen here:  www.rrgunworks.com/Sample%20Photos.html   .  He has personally made for me a custom 700 that is far more accurate than I am, as well as done work for several other members of this site.  I'm not sure what equipment he uses, other than the hack saw and arc-welder, but I try not to pry.  I am sure though, that in his 16 years of gunsmithing he may have aquired a crow bar and perhaps a ball-peen hammer.  

The Enfield rifle is a great firearm and beautiful in it's original form.  The reluctance by some to see it modified in any form is understandable.  Therefore the term "fucking disgrace" used by other tactless ignorant idiots is also understandable.  The action, to my knowledge (except for a couple models with known heat treatment problems), is also a great platform for creating an exceptional big bore firearm as it is very strong and easy to customize.  This can be verified by noting the number of customized Enfield big bore firearms seeing action around the world.  Those "fucking disgraces" have hunted everything from squirrel to rhino is on every continent on this globe since well before the tactless ignorant idiots were born.

I'm not sure where you got your $350 ending price other than out of your backside, as that would barely cover a decent barrel, chambering, threading and headspacing.  I suppose you're assuming the custom stock, the NECG sights, quarter rib, barrel band, secondary recoil lug, trigger guard and whatever else is free.  If you know of a place to get those items for such a great price (free), I'd like to know, as I'd have Fat_McNasty dig out his hack saw, arc-welder, crow bar and hammer and make me one as well.  The labor for free I can understand as he did the opening up of the action and bolt, the polishing of the raceway and feed ramps, the trigger job, the bedding and checkering himself.  I believe I should add "a rock" to his list of tools as he did mention something about stoning the trigger and other parts.

As far as selling it for $75, I'd buy a dozen.  I'm actually afraid of the 460 Weatherby Mag.  It's a collar bone breaking, retina detaching butt kicker that I'd never be able to shoot without flinching even with the removable brake and cap.  For that price though, I'd buy them and sell them to some other ignorant hicks for at least $95 allowing me the profit to purchase a pack of smokes and some donuts.  Personally, I'll stick with the Model 70 416 Remington Mag he's tweaking for me with his hack saw and rock.   I'm a wuss, but what the hell, at least I for one, know my limits.

If you have any more questions concerning "Bubba McNasty" and his Gomer rifles, go ahead and have your mom or older brother E-Mail me from whatever computer is closest to your trailer so we can get those concerns cleared up for you.  

Regards,
Stealth
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:32:57 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Will_Rogers, you are one ignorant person.

I'm not really sure where to start concerning your asinine remarks, but it would be lacking on my part to simply say that you are incorrect in your "well thought out" analysis of Bubba and his Gomer gun.  First off Fat_McNasty is no "Bubba" with a hack saw and arc-welder.  More to the point would be that Fat_McNasty is a "gifted Bubba" with a hack saw and arc-welder.  He has made several custom firearms as per customer requests and your one off, smart ass insulting remarks only goes to show your ignorance.

Before insulting someone based on a picture a of half-completed firearm project, you should see some of his other projects.  A few of which can be seen here:  www.rrgunworks.com/Sample%20Photos.html   .  He has personally made for me a custom 700 that is far more accurate than I am, as well as done work for several other members of this site.  I'm not sure what equipment he uses, other than the hack saw and arc-welder, but I try not to pry.  I am sure though, that in his 16 years of gunsmithing he may have aquired a crow bar and perhaps a ball-peen hammer.  

The Enfield rifle is a great firearm and beautiful in it's original form.  The reluctance by some to see it modified in any form is understandable.  Therefore the term "fucking disgrace" used by other tactless ignorant idiots is also understandable.  The action, to my knowledge (except for a couple models with known heat treatment problems), is also a great platform for creating an exceptional big bore firearm as it is very strong and easy to customize.  This can be verified by noting the number of customized Enfield big bore firearms seeing action around the world.  Those "fucking disgraces" have hunted everything from squirrel to rhino is on every continent on this globe since well before the tactless ignorant idiots were born.

I'm not sure where you got your $350 ending price other than out of your backside, as that would barely cover a decent barrel, chambering, threading and headspacing.  I suppose you're assuming the custom stock, the NECG sights, quarter rib, barrel band, secondary recoil lug, trigger guard and whatever else is free.  If you know of a place to get those items for such a great price (free), I'd like to know, as I'd have Fat_McNasty dig out his hack saw, arc-welder, crow bar and hammer and make me one as well.  The labor for free I can understand as he did the opening up of the action and bolt, the polishing of the raceway and feed ramps, the trigger job, the bedding and checkering himself.  I believe I should add "a rock" to his list of tools as he did mention something about stoning the trigger and other parts.

As far as selling it for $75, I'd buy a dozen.  I'm actually afraid of the 460 Weatherby Mag.  It's a collar bone breaking, retina detaching butt kicker that I'd never be able to shoot without flinching even with the removable brake and cap.  For that price though, I'd buy them and sell them to some other ignorant hicks for at least $95 allowing me the profit to purchase a pack of smokes and some donuts.  Personally, I'll stick with the Model 70 416 Remington Mag he's tweaking for me with his hack saw and rock.   I'm a wuss, but what the hell, at least I for one, know my limits.

If you have any more questions concerning "Bubba McNasty" and his Gomer rifles, go ahead and have your mom or older brother E-Mail me from whatever computer is closest to your trailer so we can get those concerns cleared up for you.  

Regards,
Stealth

WOW just WOW!!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:42:47 PM EDT
[#39]
My No4 Mk 1/3 ("US Property" marked)

I got her for $125 at a local gun show last October. I'm in the process of cleaning up the stock. The barrel is DAMN nice. Very sharp rifleing and shiny bore.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:50:51 PM EDT
[#40]
In my even more broke than I am now undergrad days I almost got the 'rents to lend me the money to get a RIC marked (with a coin on the stock and some other stampings IIRC) Enfield. No3 I think. The C&R site had tracked it. Started life as a different type, arsenal rebuilt, moved out of the Army, given to the RIC. It "vanished" from a barracks sometime during the Anglo-Irish war and turned up over here.

It was actually the longest it's ever taken my mom to say "no" about any gun project before I became mostly financially independent. Now she just rolls her eyes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top