Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2006 1:07:13 PM EDT
I put this in the CO forum as well, but I'm hoping for a little more activity here.

A friend of mine is looking to get into the shooting sports by buying a rfile, probably a 10/22 (we are both college students in CO and he as an MD resident). The MD forum guys told me that there were no problems with this from an MD point of view, but none of the CO dealers that we've contacted are willing to sell to him. Is there a requirement that the perspective buyer be a resident of an adjacent state or something similar?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:09:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think there is a requirement for the buyer  to be from a contiguous state. But the seller is not required to sell if he doesn't want to .
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:10:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, adjacent state rules.
When I was a college kid in Nebraska, we applied for Nebraska State ID's, (only $3 IIRC) to buy in state hunting licences.
I wonder if you could do the same thing.

I know military guys have the same problems, I don't know how they solve it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:43:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Is the contiguous requirement a state or federal law?  If it's state only, maybe we could drive to Wyoming or something like that.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:44:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Adjacent states. I think
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:51:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:48:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I believe the adjacent state rule for long guns is a federal regulation.  

SRM
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:52:53 PM EDT
[#7]
If it's just adjacent states, how come my Wally World sporting goods department has a big map of the US with all but a few of the states highlighted and stating " If you are a resident of one of these states, you may buy a rifle or shotgun"?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:53:44 PM EDT
[#8]
From the BATFE website:

(F2) May a licensed dealer sell a firearm to a nonlicensee who is a resident of another state? [Back]

Generally, a firearm may not be lawfully sold by a licensed dealer to a nonlicensee who resides in a state other than the state in which the seller's licensed premises is located. However, the sale may be made if the firearm is shipped to a licensed dealer whose business is in the purchaser's state of residence and the purchaser takes delivery of the firearm from the dealer in his or her state of residence. In addition, a licensee may sell a rifle or shotgun to a person who is not a resident of the state where the licensee's business premises is located in an over-the-counter transaction, provided the transaction complies with state law in the state where the licensee is located and in the state where the purchaser resides and provided the sale complies with all applicable federal laws. [18 U. S. C. 922( b)( 3)]

--------------------------------------------
I believe that the rule about it needing to be an adjacent state has been eliminated. And the Wally-world map is probably a result of the rule above that states that the sale must comply with the laws of both states involved.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:55:11 PM EDT
[#9]
The adjacent state requirement was eliminated by the FOPA in 1986.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:03:33 PM EDT
[#10]
comonly held misconception that you cant seel a long gun to a non state resident.  I had a mini-14 on lay away in Baton Rouge Louisianna at Jumbo sports when I went to pic it up after making payments on it for 3 months they wouldnt sell it to me and refunded my money.  I went all over town and no one would sell to me because I was from out of state.  Travelled to Florida and bought 3 rifles in 2 days from 3 shops no problem all of them told me it was BS that they wouldnt sell to me in Florida
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:05:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I was at Cabela's in Michigan and was told I could buy a long gun.  The only problem was I was delayed.  They said it's pretty common for out of state purchases.  If I would have been there for 72 hours the gun would have been mine.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:21:46 PM EDT
[#12]
FYI, many chains here in Colorado, as well as every independent store I have been to, do not sell to buyers that do not have a CO driver's license.  I made that mistake once on the ATF form (IN license, CO residence) and they wouldn't let me change it.  

So, go get a Colorado driver's license.  Bring a utility bill, stamped certificate of enrollment in school, voter registration, etc. etc..  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:23:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Ok, so I'm seeing now that it is not a federal thing.  Do any CO guys no if there is perhaps a state regulation?  The guy at Wal-Mart seemed to think so.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:31:33 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Ok, so I'm seeing now that it is not a federal thing.  Do any CO guys no if there is perhaps a state regulation?  The guy at Wal-Mart seemed to think so.

I wouldn't put to much weight into what the Wal-Mart guy thinks...hell, in California Wal-mart got in big trouble for selling guns by just ringing them up and sending the people out the door because the employees didn't know better
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:39:12 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
If it's just adjacent states, how come my Wally World sporting goods department has a big map of the US with all but a few of the states highlighted and stating " If you are a resident of one of these states, you may buy a rifle or shotgun"?

Each state has its own laws while Tenessee may allow more states Colorado does not. And beyond that each store may  make their own decisions.  Try Gander Mountain and see what they say.

As a Colorado resident I recently purchased a rifle in Texas.  However the reverse would not be allowed I dont think a Texas resident can purchase one in Colorado.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top