Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2006 8:55:33 AM EDT
So, there is this word that rhymes with "bonk", and it will supposedly get you banned from ARFCOM.  What is so horrible about it?  Yes, I know the real word, but why do some find it offensive?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:56:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Chuck Norris proclaimed it as offensive, so it is.  Do not question the word of Chuck.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:56:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:58:18 AM EDT
[#3]
the word is "tonk".

for some reason, a few people get really offended when you say it.  the rumor is that "tonk" is the noise that's made when a mag lite comes in contact with an illegal's head.  i heard about it several years before coming to arfcom, but the first time i mentioned it here, i was bombarded with ibtl's

ETA:  i seriously doubt it's use would result in a banning...  at least i hope not
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:00:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:01:53 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
So, there is this word that rhymes with "bonk", and it will supposedly get you banned from ARFCOM.  What is so horrible about it?  Yes, I know the real word, but why do some find it offensive?

IBTL
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:08:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes, that is the word origin.  Coined by Border Patrol Agents I would guess about 20 years ago or more.

I have seen threads locked here when this word was refered to, and I expect this one will too.  

The word is a long way from being policically correct.

My post was to confirm the word origin.

I am not trying to do or say anything offensive.

I think this thread should end now that the question has been answered!

Quoted:
the word is "tonk".

for some reason, a few people get really offended when you say it.  the rumor is that "tonk" is the noise that's made when a mag lite comes in contact with an illegal's head.  i heard about it several years before coming to arfcom, but the first time i mentioned it here, i was bombarded with ibtl's

ETA:  i seriously doubt it's use would result in a banning...  at least i hope not

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:16:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

That game rocks!!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:16:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I never heard of the word before it gained notoriety here. I guess there's not a lot of INS agents here or border patrol to spread the term. I'm sure there are illegal aliens here, but the ones that get caught are mostly from Eastern Europe.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:20:05 AM EDT
[#9]
This will get locked sooner or later.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:20:24 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

The word is a long way from being policically correct.

Interesting.  A word can be politically incorrect even if it has no meaning.

Like bang.  or click.

Is the actual "tonk" sound offensive, too?  Or just the word?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:23:06 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
the word is "tonk".

ETA: i seriously doubt it's use would result in a banning...  at least i hope not

You would be very wrong in assuming that.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:24:29 AM EDT
[#12]
I think its only offensive when peopel use it as a racial slur, and THAT would get you banned here (I think)
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:26:11 AM EDT
[#13]
IBTL

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:27:31 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I think its only offensive when peopel use it as a racial slur, and THAT would get you banned here (I think)

A racial slur against whom?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:28:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Stends for...
Traveling
Outside
Native
Country

not incorrect at all.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:29:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:30:20 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

illegal aliens
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:30:37 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Invaders from other countries who wish to lower your standard of living and live off your taxes, but want you to learn their language and spend extra money posting signs in their language while they kill cows by leaving plastic shopping bags all over ranches and drive without insurance.

Save the cows!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:30:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Question answered.  Letting this thread live is asking for trouble.  raf
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:31:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:32:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Edited locking message.  raf
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top