Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2006 8:26:31 AM EDT
I bought my wife a small SHARP LCD TV for her laundry room less than 6 months ago.  A couple weeks ago, it began cutting itself off.  It would stay on less than 5 seconds, and suddenly cut itself off.  Anyway, I call customer service and they created a case number.  I shipped it back to them expecting it to be repaired under warranty.  A few minutes ago I received an email stating that I owed them $141 to make the repairs on a tv that I have owned less than 6 months.  They tell me that the parts are warranted for 1 year, but labor is only covered for 90 days.  In addition, if I tell them to simply ship the tv back unrepaired they are going to charge me a $50 evaluation fee.

I paid $350 for this miniscule 13" tv, and now they want another $140 to make it work.  I realize this is small potatoes, but it ticks me off that SHARP will not stand behind their product longer than 90 days.  I was thinking that most all consumer electronics had to have a 1 year parts and labor warranty.

Do I have any recourse?

Piece Of Junk Sharp TV
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:52:58 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Do I have any recourse?

I would start by reading your warranty. Did you not do this before you shipped it off????????
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:08:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Evidently not.  I read it as far as the 1 year on parts, but neglected to read the fine print where it only covers 90 days labor.  Betcha this is the last Sharp product I ever buy.  I have a house full of various Sonys, and (knock on wood) none have ever failed.  One is over 10 years old.  

Don't know why, but I have always ass-u-me-d that 1 year parts and labor was law on new consumer goods.  If you do anything in life, you will learn something daily.  Unfortunately, this is not a pleasant lesson learned today.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:15:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Where'd you buy it?

Many big chains don't care about the date you purchased, and will exchange it as long as they still carry the same model.

Or you can do what everybody else does (again, assuming you can find the same model) - buy another one, wait a day, put the broken one back in the box, bring it back to the store, tell them what a piece of shit it is, and get your money back.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:26:44 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Where'd you buy it?

Many big chains don't care about the date you purchased, and will exchange it as long as they still carry the same model.

Or you can do what everybody else does (again, assuming you can find the same model) - buy another one, wait a day, put the broken one back in the box, bring it back to the store, tell them what a piece of shit it is, and get your money back.

And/or get BestBuy's service plan when you get another one, since it doesn't require a serial number...
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:01:40 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Where'd you buy it?

This heap came from Best Buy.  My wife attempted to take it back, but was refused.  I seriously contemplated buying another one, swapping it with the old one, and returning it.  My conscience would not allow me to do so at the time.  Had I known that the manufacturer would put the screws to me, I would have done just that.  I'm just going to chalk it up to a lesson learned about warranties, and pay them to repair it.  

Thanks for the feedback guys.    
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:16:20 AM EDT
[#6]
You could push this further...
Credit card company - if you charged it? Some cards offer to double the MFR's warranty.
Better business bureau, I think its bad business personally, worth a complaint.

Truth is, LCD TVs and monitors definitely have very short life spans. I'd avoid em.
$300 for 6 months use is not something I'd swallow in any case. Pay $50 for the return and do the box swap, both businesses are in the wrong here and deserve a fucking. In This instance. Then I'd exchange the defect for a new camera or something.

Consumer reports is worth writing to as well. Sharp deserves every beat-down you can throw at them IMHO. Thanks to you, I won't be buying any of their shit anymore either.

13" TV + Repair after 6mos. = $500
And who knows when it'll die again. BAD DEAL in my book.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:27:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:27:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I have a house full of various Sonys, and (knock on wood) none have ever failed.  One is over 10 years old.  

Quality always wins out, IMO! Sony rules in this manner!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:30:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Did you use a credit card to purchase it?  I do all major purchases with a credit card that extends the warranty to one year and covers for theft or breakage.  I would check with your CC company to see if you have that type of coverage.  We've used it a few times, normally I just send them a copy of my receipt and they send me a check.

Eric  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:48:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Yea, I used a Best Buy card.  

The thing I like about the Best Buy card is all the no interest plans they offer.  I paid off a Sony Projection TV in exactly 24 months and paid zero interest.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top