Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2006 4:46:26 AM EDT
I have a wood stove with a glass window on the door that gets coated with soot and light creosote after a few burnings.  I have a soapy spray cleaner that I bought at the stove store for dissolving the grime and was thinking that there might be a solution that I can make myself, since I'm running low of the store stuff.  Has anyone done this?  Would watered-down muriatic acid with a little dishsoap work?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:48:06 AM EDT
[#1]
http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf429302.tip.html
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:52:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:01:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Easy-Off oven cleaner?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:03:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Razorblade window scraper and a shop vac.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:05:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't know of a homemade solution, but I've had good luck with Zep brand Oven and Grill Cleaner.  The real one, not the citrus one.  That will liquify pretty much any carbony nasty mess you can find, but it also does a number on painted surfaces, don't know about glass surfaces.  Works great on my barbecue though.  MJD
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:05:28 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Easy-Off oven cleaner?

The manual says not to use oven cleaner.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:10:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:16:11 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Easy-Off oven cleaner?

+1
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:23:11 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
First, if it has a vent above the door, leave it open when burning.  Most stoves made in the last 25 or so years have an air flow pattern that keeps the glass clean.  The tiny bit of soot left on in spite of that is easily removed with the commercial stuff that has silicone in it.  I can't remember the name (can check on the weekend) but I got it at a woodstove/fireplace shop for about $3.  It's safe, works great and the silicone keeps it coming off VERY easily with subsequent use.  I know it's not a "home remedy" but for three bucks I can't see dicking around with anything else--especially as a bottle lasts for years.  YMMV

My stove does have hot air channeled across the window.  It, however, gets dirty after the temp drops after a hot burn.  I was hoping to avoid going to the local stove store because we had customer service issues with them during the installation and I had to sick my wife on them!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:38:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:49:53 AM EDT
[#11]
The reason they say no to oven cleaner is that it will eat away at  your gasket.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:54:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Mine stays pretty clean if it's getting enough draft.  Most of the cleanup I do with newspaper and ash.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:57:09 AM EDT
[#13]
I just dip a damp papertowel in the wood ash and use that to clean the glass, it works like a charm on even the dark discoloration I get if Im not burning the stove hot enuf, or I just burn the stove hot and it basically burns off the dark stains and a light ashy coating is left that wipes off with a damp paper towel.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:11:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Toothpaste!!!

Use the creamy, non clear stuff.  It has diaitamasish (sp) earth that acts as an abrasive.  Of course if you want to go high tech, use JB bore cleaner.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:21:29 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I just dip a damp papertowel in the wood ash and use that to clean the glass...

+1

Chimney guy told me that trick it's all I do now. I do it maybe 2 or 3 times a season just to keep the window clear. Generally keeping the burn in the stove nice n' hot does it's job of burning the residue clean.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:33:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Let the stove window cool down.  Use windex and paper towel in normal fashion.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:35:37 AM EDT
[#17]
I wouldnt reccommend using oven cleaner when its hot.. The fumes when restarting would also burn your eyes.

I was shown 15 years ago by my coal stove dealer to use a fine steel wool( not a SOS pad}, and gentlely rub the glass.. You can use it when the stove is running. Make shure that you a pair wear an insulated stove gloves.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top