Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/15/2006 6:46:08 PM EDT
Ketchikan,

July '87.

A friend in Seattle sent me a bunch of cheap digital watches for about $4 each.

Ketchikan was FULL of tourists.

You got it, I put a bunch of drapery hooks on the inside of my coat, hooked the watches on them, doffed a fedora and stood on the street corner and when a tourist would mosey by, I'd open the coat and ask:

You wanna buy a watch? Ten dolla.

I did OK, made rent.

The best is that i have a neat tale to tell 20 years later.

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:47:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I sold used cars one Summer, but I can't beat that.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:48:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I played an arabian bandit in a short play
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:48:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Forraged and trapped.  I'd skin trees for their bark, dig roots, and run a trapline.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:49:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I played an arabian bandit in a short play

now THAT'S funny!

were you a Palestinian Arab?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:51:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I was a telemarketer for 2 and a half hours.

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:51:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Was not really for a living but it was income for a kid.

We would catch a nice fish like a snapper. We would then walk around the beach near all the tourists and let them get their pic taken with the fish while holding the rod and reel. $5 a pic. We actually did pretty good on some days. Some guys must have went home and BSed their buddies about the huge snapper they caught while on vacation in Florida.

Funny thing is sometimes we used the same fish all day. The eyes would be sunken back. I wonder if any of them got outed by thier buddies for having a decaying fish on a line.

ETA we also sold our junkfish to the Hatians in the Everglades. Mudfish and garbage like that., They ate anything.

ETA again sold used cars for a while like Stealth. I liked it and the money was good but 5 13+ hour days a week in the sun and trying to raise a new family is a surefire way to destroy that family. (I speak from experience) Some months the $$ was sick, sick I tell you, but you have to made up for the hard times. I quit the first time I had to take a draw.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:55:05 PM EDT
[#7]
For a few weeks one summer, I worked in a dart booth concession at "The Pike" a now defunct amusement park in Long Beach CA. Really low class place...I was a teen and my parents freaked out to ss how much money I had in my purse. (All in quarters  )

GI was a good barker...ended up making more per hour than my engineer father.

Gwen
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:38:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:40:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I was a telemarketer for 2 and a half hours.

3 months. Selling newspapers to military personnel and vets. Beat THAT, anybody except the watches guy.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:41:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I sold airbrushed t-shirts at car shows on the weekends.

Until I got fired.  One too many hill jack inbred dipshits came to our booth and asked:

Him:  "What color is your black?"

Me:  "What fucking color do you think it is?"

G

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:42:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been an active member of a ueber right wing conservative firearms related website for over 5 years.  That's pretty Hokie if you ask me.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:42:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Brandished a firearm at some teenagers in a McDonald's, busted for drugs, busted for driving with a suspended license, being a fucking idiot, and various other things I was never actually caught for.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:44:46 PM EDT
[#13]
13 yrs.old: Dyed ladies shoes with my friend's alcoholic dad...

that didn't last long.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:45:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Tree removal....with an axe
(it was fun, lots of bonfires)

I still have the axe
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:46:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:48:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:49:24 PM EDT
[#17]
I did two things that fit that description. One I hoed weeds in a soybean field....I was a 'hoer' and for a while I used to bait fish hooks. I got SO good at it, I became a Master Baiter.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:50:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Parked cars at the county fair...
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:53:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Cleaned yarn off of bobbins 12 hours a day, 6 days a week, until I was replaced by a machine.  The company bought a huge machine for $2k, I was out of a job until it started breaking and I was rehired to keep it running for more pay for much less work.  Since the thing could do in four hours what it took me 12 hours to do, I only had to keep it running for half of the day.  That was the day that I realized my father was always right that we shouldn't be afraid that plant workers were being replaced in droves by machines.  Building and maintaining the machines creates higher paying, better jobs.  In many cases, they seem to create more jobs than they save.z
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:54:54 PM EDT
[#20]
preditory<sp> towing ..

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:57:48 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I've been an active member of a ueber right wing conservative firearms related website for over 5 years.  That's pretty Hokie if you ask me.

You make a living doing this? So you're the snitch!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:04:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Sold magazine subscriptions. I had to keep telling myself, "any honest work is good work" Talk about lying to yourself.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:05:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Drove a forklift and picked strawberries.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:07:09 PM EDT
[#24]
I worked on an assembly line for a week at Texas Instruments building Speak-N-Spells. That place was a real shit hole.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:20:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Man I had tons of low pay shit jobs in my life.  Worked at a Papa Johns pizza for a few months, picked stock off a conveyor in a warehouse, there were others I cant remember.  

I hated everyone of them, would end up and quit after the first day on a few.  

Things got progressively better though.  In some ways it seems you have to eat shit before you get caviar..
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:24:58 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

And next you'll be telling us that both of those were at the same time.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:29:51 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I poked holes in 100's of thousands of oil cans at a refinery to drain and recycle oil from the damaged cans.
Its was one of the most motivating factors for me to finish college. This was one of those summer jobs.

mine was drying cars for minium wage.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:29:53 PM EDT
[#28]
i sold shoes for about a year.  suprisingly enough, it wasn't bad at all...  well, except for the shit pay and shit management, and nasty fucking bathrooms we had to clean every oce in awhile.  besides that, it was an allright gig.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:39:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Worked for meals-on-wheels.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:47:41 PM EDT
[#30]
I worked at a Putt Putt.

Had to make goofy announcements, walk around and use the blower/vac to clean off the "greens", administer to birthday parties, etc.

I lasted a week. 4 days actually.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:47:45 PM EDT
[#31]
i drove around in a white van with a couple pot heads and tried to sell shitty speakers to people "hey man check this out, we had a delivery this morning and they loaded us with 2 extra sets of high end speakers. if i show up at the shop with them they will end up in my boss' house.". that lasted all of a week, guess im too honest to sell people $50 speakers for $200+ (i sold exactly 0).

i would have to say that was the flakiest opperation i have ever heard of.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:49:46 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm ashamed to admit this, but once I worked as a cruelty investigator for the Humane Society. I had been out of the cop shop for about 6 months and looking around for something to do and found that.
Apparently they wanted a kinder, gentler investigator. Either that or they found out I voted for Bush.
Jim
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:04:49 PM EDT
[#33]
7-11 night clerk.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:06:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Not hokie but the worst job I had was sandblasting the inside of railroad tank cars. Did it in Jan and Feb up here in WI and it was a cold winter.  Hauled 100lb sandbags, shoveled and blasted.  Stared thru a tunnel of sand in the dark all day long. It really sucked. Company was run by a bunch of real assholes also and the pay sucked.  But I did get paid during a time when an awful lot of guys up here were unemployed.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:50:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Read Electric meters.... Lowest point of my life.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:02:25 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You make a living doing this? So you're the snitch!

who me...I ... uh.... hmm...well uh.....they told me if I turned you all in, they'd leave me alone!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:06:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Piccolo,
You had clothes on under the coat right?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:43:37 AM EDT
[#38]
In 1977 I worked at McDonald's flipping burgers.  I wore the pointy hat & grease stained <formerly> white button up shirt.  Only job I've ever been fire from.    

Shift mgr was a 17yr old skank with huge hickies on her neck.  She threatened to fire me about 10min into the shift for having an "attitude".  It was about 4:10pm on a Friday & we were swamped.

me: "No one else here can run the grill, you don't have the nerve to fire me."

her "Okay you're fired at the end of this shift"

me: "Nope, don't work that way"  as I walked to the time clock to punch out.

her: <screeching> "You can't leave yet!!!!  I didn't tell you you could leave"

my last words as I hit the door  "See ya later SLUT!  Hope they can cure your VD"   Much laughter erupted.

As I was getting into my truck I noticed nearly all the customers left too

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:53:19 AM EDT
[#39]
I was a campus cop for a small women's university. Virtually no crime, but when something did happen everyone knew who did it. That made investigations pretty easy. The cat fights were interesting. They would tear each other up over some insignificant problem. Every now and then a student would go missing. Frantic parents would call the dean, who would call me. The parents always thought the worst had happened to their little girl. I would find out who was the missing girl's closest girlfriend and get her to tell me where the missing person and the missing person's boyfriend had run off to. The girlfriend always knew. Girls always tell their best friends everything.

The job did not pay much but I did get two free meals a day and most of my time was spent sitting in my office reading gun magazines (no internet back then) or reloading ammo in the back room.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:21:46 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Piccolo,
You had clothes on under the coat right?

I THINK I did.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:44:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Security Guard. patrolling large industrial complexes at 3am is kind of fun...wasn't a bad job really –well, it's crappy, but I was 17 so it didn't really matter all that much. I worked 2 entire summers, 12 hour shifts to save enough money to buy my first motorcycle. Yamaha XT500.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:28:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Right before college, I got a pt time job as a marketer of designer cosmetics (for about 3 hours). I soon came to realize that it was door to door sales, of cheap knock-off perfumes. I disappeared from the crew just before lunch time, never to return. Got a ride to my house from a family member who worked in the vicinity. What a waste of time.....
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:32:06 AM EDT
[#43]
I made pies.  I liked them.
Seriously!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:41:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Elephant Circumsizer.  The pay was small, but the tips were HUGE.

Seriously, worst job I ever had was working at a furniture store for some extra $$.  Talk about boring and the sales people are the lowest forms of life.  Talk about some dumbasses!!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:53:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Tour guide in Juneau, AK.  Involved driving 40 tourists around in a bus and rooming with my co-workers.  You could give an awesome tour and have great rapport with the passengers and get zilch in tips, or phone it in hung over and get $60+ from them, it was completely random.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:55:10 AM EDT
[#46]
While I had a full time well paying job, I got talked into selling gun safes at the county fair. I thought I could sell enough of them to buy one for myself at their cost. I was wrong. :(

When I was between jobs and on unemployment, I sold Christmas trees at a nursery because of the work ethic my parents instilled in me. I didn't make enough to completely offset the unemployment. I ended up being the top salesmen. That is not a bullet point on my resume.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:08:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Hanging raw 15lb whole hams on hooks so they could be cooked.  

This same question came up in one of my college classes and the by far the most unique response was from a guy who spent a year following the Greatful Dead and selling grilled cheese sandwiches at their concerts.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:03:14 AM EDT
[#48]
The hokiest job I ever had was measuring rubber gloves. It was one of a couple summer gigs during college. A company that made the type of rubber gloves they use in dentist offices had packed them incorrectly. So they hired a few people, gave us a ruler, and off we went measuring gloves and sorting into S/M/L. There were whole days where the boxes had actually been sorted properly, so all of them were the right size. All day long just - small, small, small...
It really wasn't that bad a job, not hard at all, did it hung over many times. I think I was making about 25% over minimum wage - so not too bad for a temp job. The company was doing pretty well and they had steak and lobster lunches a couple of times to reward the employees and they let us in too. And I worked with a couple of cute chicks, one of whom I ended up getting freaky with. I did it for about 6 weeks then went back to school. I think they were about done anyway.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:06:50 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And next you'll be telling us that both of those were at the same time.

They were BIG strawberries.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:09:53 AM EDT
[#50]
Dippin' Dots, ice cream of the future.  My first job.

God that was a pain in the ass.  Scooping ice cream at Rugrats Live shows for children screaming "I WANNA SEE CHUCKY!!!" or at Broncos games where all the fans are drunk and hit on the 16-year-olds that work there.  Dunno how many drunken fights erupted in front our stand.  I hated wearing that damn pink polo shirt.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top