Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/15/2006 5:02:23 PM EDT
We have 2 dogs and they both.....no joke eat their own shit.......How do I stop this?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:04:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy them some dog food or teach them to use your commode and flush

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:07:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
We have 2 dogs and they both.....no joke eat their own shit.......How do I stop this?

Let me guess:

Either Labs, or Terriers....

There is a powder you can sprinkle on their food to make their poop unappetizing to them. fostersandsmith.com

You could also try changing their food to a more premium type that digests more thoroughly.

Remember, that anything that still smells a little like food, IS food toa dog.

Regards,

efxguy

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:13:45 AM EDT
[#3]

Yuck.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:22:23 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Most dogs eat shit cause they are bored you can get them on a new diet and lots of toys like 15 diferent kinds each. Dogs are like kids and need to be entertained....
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:22:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Do they kiss you with their tongue?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:24:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quit feeding them Ole Roy from Walmart.  That is the most worthless, fart inducing dogshitfood in the world.  

Find a food with a little corn and wheat fillers as you can.  Nutro makes several excellent types of food with excellent nutrition and very little fillers.  Fillers cause your dogs shit to be larger and stink more.  The better the food, the better and more complete the digestion, hence the smaller the doggy mines in the backyard too.  Their coat and energy will improve almost overnight.  

Cheap dogfood with a high amount of fillers (corn especially) is bad for the overall health of your pet.  Most dogs have a mild allergy to corn products which causes their skin to be dry and itchy.  In addition to dandruff, they will scratch a great deal and their coat will appear dull.  Not only that, your pet has to eat much more of it to get the RDA of vitamins etc...  This is one of the reasons that dogs get overweight.  Overweight dogs, especially large breeds are prone to hip displasia for precisely this reason.

Bottom line, get good food.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:34:42 AM EDT
[#7]
+1 and clean up the piles each morning before you let them out.
ETA: My lab won't even go near her own feces once its left her body. She's always on the lookout for land mines. Just follow directly behind her and there is no danger of stepping in one. Funny how dogs are different with such basic behavior.      

Quoted:
Quit feeding them Ole Roy from Walmart.  That is the most worthless, fart inducing dogshitfood in the world.  

Find a food with a little corn and wheat fillers as you can.  Nutro makes several excellent types of food with excellent nutrition and very little fillers.  Fillers cause your dogs shit to be larger and stink more.  The better the food, the better and more complete the digestion, hence the smaller the doggy mines in the backyard too.  Their coat and energy will improve almost overnight.  

Cheap dogfood with a high amount of fillers (corn especially) is bad for the overall health of your pet.  Most dogs have a mild allergy to corn products which causes their skin to be dry and itchy.  In addition to dandruff, they will scratch a great deal and their coat will appear dull.  Not only that, your pet has to eat much more of it to get the RDA of vitamins etc...  This is one of the reasons that dogs get overweight.  Overweight dogs, especially large breeds are prone to hip displasia for precisely this reason.

Bottom line, get good food.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:38:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:59:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Hell...I'll pay ya if you can get my three dogs to eat their own shit!!!  I'm tired of pickin it up out of the yard
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:02:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Seal them up in a tererium, it will be a truly sealed system, with no additional food neede.

Get your picture on National Geographic.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:23:48 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Coprophagia is not a problem--except in people's minds (though it can introduce parasites on occasion, which is easily treated with ivermectin).  The only sure way to prevent it is for you to pick it up before they get it.  The really nasty ones will eat it as it's coming out of the other dog's anal port.  You can try putting meat tenderizer on their food--it makes some dogs quit.  For sure, don't let them lick you in the face--dogs don't "kiss" you--they just want to get the shit taste off of their tongue.  

You said "anal port!!!"

I hope to God you are referring to a dogs poop shoot and not some nuevo riche uppity yuppie snob wine.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:36:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Beekeeper is correct. Are they two females? Most times it's the female,  an instinct to keep the "den" clean. If you go to Petsmart or one of the other chain stores they sell something to give the dogs to make the" tootsie rolls" less tasty.Sometimes it's a vitamin problem .
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:35:03 PM EDT
[#13]
get FORBID...

sprinkle it on their food...

alot of dogs are PICA eaters.

BTW..
feed a better food...LoL...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top