Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/15/2006 12:48:18 PM EDT
OK. My dad wants a bose system for our family room.  I read he it sucked.  So i told my dad it sucked, he tells me i am a asshole and that his friend said it is the best, and he trust his friend.

So whats the best home stero system for less then 2k?

Matt
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:54:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't get Bose.  They don't suck, but they are made of less-than-high-price materials yet charge incredibly high prices.  Basically, they sound good to people who haven't heard quality sound equipment.
Best bet is to piece out the system.  Yamaha makes a good receiver for a good price and Boston Acoustics speakers are nice.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:55:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Klipsch
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:58:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Blose sucks. Are you asking for a complete system, amp and 5.1/6.1/7.1?? I personally use a Yamaha DSP-A1, and Infinity IL-60'S for fronts and rears. I have Infinity CC-4 center, and Infinity sub. Something to be said about 1500 watts of lows.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:59:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:59:43 PM EDT
[#5]
For that price range there are many options. Cambridge Soundworks makes lots of nice stuff. Boston Acoustics as well. I would look on eBay for some older NHT speakers ($500), a nice amp ($400) preamp/tuner ($400), and whatever source units he wants.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:04:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:16:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
OK. My dad wants a bose system for our family room.  I read he it sucked.  So i told my dad it sucked, he tells me i am a asshole and that his friend said it is the best, and he trust his friend.

Matt

He called you an asshole for your speaker preference?

Nice family life you got there.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:18:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Cambridge
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:19:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Matt

He called you an asshole for your speaker preference?

Nice family life you got there.  

I think it's being called an asshole for questioning his world view.

Dad has a friend he respects. Friend tells him to get Bose speakers because they are the best.

Son does some research and finds out the truth - Bose sucks. Tells dad. Dad sees this as an attack on both himself and his trusted friend.

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:21:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:25:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
no highs, no lows then it must be Bose.

+-1

Kings of midrange sound.  You can buy better for less.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:25:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Matt

That's the easiest way to waste 2G's. Let him get it and learn his lesson, some people only learn the hard way. I would not spend a dime on Bose. There are so many other companies with MUCH higher quality out there, but................
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:27:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Don't get Bose.  They don't suck, but they are made of less-than-high-price materials yet charge incredibly high prices.  Basically, they sound good to people who haven't heard quality sound equipment.
Best bet is to piece out the system.  Yamaha makes a good receiver for a good price and Boston Acoustics speakers are nice.

I have a Yamaha receiver and Boston Acoustics speakers, and I love how it sounds
ETA with a big Infinity sub.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:30:17 PM EDT
[#14]
OK i let my dad read the 8 page article so he told me to price him out a custom system.  But he wants small speakers.  Looks like you can build a nice system for 1k.

LOL to some of the responds.  I think my family might have bigger proablems then picking out stero products!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:37:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Yamaha receiver and Paradigm speakers.

You're welcome.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:39:01 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
OK i let my dad read the 8 page article so he told me to price him out a custom system.  But he wants small speakers.  Looks like you can build a nice system for 1k.

LOL to some of the responds.  I think my family might have bigger proablems then picking out stero products!

Your dad is a difficult person. How small?  I hope not as small as Bose. Floor standing speakers blow away any of those micro speakers. Let's try and talk him into nice floor standing speakers or at least good sized shelf speakers.

Paradigm
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:40:05 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
OK i let my dad read the 8 page article so he told me to price him out a custom system.  

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:42:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Maybe you could get him some nice in-wall speakers.

That way when his BOSE loving friend comes over, your dad can play them and have his friend say "Damn, where is that superior sound coming from? It puts my overpriced BOSE speakers to shame!"

Then your dad could respond "The sounds coming from the wall, BITCH!" and then slap him like rick james.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:43:44 PM EDT
[#19]
I've had a Bose Lifestyles 25 for about 7 years now. It doesn't suck but it is not the best. You cannot do more than adjust treble and base on the subwoofer. I would like to have more control over the sound than that. Get a good home theater system. I will probably upgrade this year.

(Watching the thread for suggestions.)
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:47:44 PM EDT
[#20]
And I was gonna buy a Bose wave radio for my office.  My dad is probably show up at work and bitch slap me!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:50:39 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Yamaha receiver and Paradigm speakers.

You're welcome.

+1
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:51:27 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
And I was gonna buy a Bose wave radio for my office.  My dad is probably show up at work and bitch slap me!

If you were looking for something similar size but better sound, give this a try:

www.bostonacoustics.com/home_product.aspx?category_id=34&product_id=306
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:54:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Bose is definately way overpriced.  I love my 7.1 Yamaha receiver.  I have had Pioneer before.  I would have bought a Pioneer 7.1, but there were none at the time I was buying.

I have Polk speakers and love them.  Lots of others have mentioned great brands too.  Just depends on how much you or him are willing to spend.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:56:56 PM EDT
[#24]
My uncle's got a Yamaha that kicks ass.

I have an older Sony that is pretty good also.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:58:54 PM EDT
[#25]
The article linked above mentions a lawsuit against Consumer Reports a few years ago.  I remember a lawsuit against Stereo Review about 25 years ago over their review of the 901.  The 901 received generally good comments, but due to the direct, indirect design of these speakers, the soundstage was not good.  

The 901 has one tiny (4"? 4.5"?) full range speaker pointed forward, and 8 pointed to the rear at angles such that the sound bounces off the walls.  Bose did this to spread the sound, to try for a near surround sound effect.  This might be cool if listening to recordings of live orchestra, but does nothing to give a good sound stage.  That comment really ticked off Bose... how DARE they criticize Bose speakers!  So they sued.  They lost.

And many magazines vowed to never review or carry ads for Bose again.  And this is why Bose has to advertise on TV and radio, and magazines you do not usually read for their expertise on audio equipment.  

Now you know... the REST of the story.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:11:09 PM EDT
[#26]
I've got a set of bose 901s.

I bought them from an uncle about 8 years ago for $300 and that price included a harmon kardon amp. They sound better than any $300 walmart pioneer system I could have got at the time. But I can hear the difference between good high end stuff and these. If I were spending $2000 on new stuff I'd never buy bose. I'd go with the paradigms mentioned above. Luckily I'm not terribly picky when it comes to sound quality. So I'll be saving my money and using these for a while yet.

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:50:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Here's another approach: Suggest that he buy a pair of used 901s instead.

That way, he gets to decide for himself if they're any good, and yet can still sell them for roughly what he paid for 'em if he doesn't like 'em. Ebay would be the most obvious source, although there are stereo shops that also sell used gear (either outright or on consignment).
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:29:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Wow thanks for all the responses.
My dads is goddamn stubborn.  He never heard a good sound system before.  He heard bose at the store and at my uncles house and loved it.  But ofcourse, anything sounds better then the pos tv we have right now.

I'm trying to get him to go for bigger speakers but he keeps on saying "you don't need big speakers, look at the sound that comes out of the small bose speakers."  ahhhhh

Hell, sometimes i don't know why i even try to help people out.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:33:23 PM EDT
[#30]
In'm in the market for a $500.00 or less 12" sub.  What to get?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:36:48 PM EDT
[#31]
I own 6 bose speakers.  Two in the garage, two in the shed, and two for rear channel on the theatre.  Infinity RS series for front sides,  Boston sub, Denon for power, and Infinity for center channel.  It isn't modern, but it puts you right in the middle of the gunfight while watching HEAT!!!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:45:20 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

velodyne, is good,

most new subs can be had for under 500, just check the specs and see which one is the best.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:46:16 PM EDT
[#33]
BOSE SUCKS

Definitive Technology

Mirage

Polk

Boston Acustics

others
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:52:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Why do you care what your dad gets?

Once you move out, you can get whatever you want.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:10:52 PM EDT
[#35]
If your dad is set on Bose, let him get Bose otherwise he'll always be second guessing his decision...

That being said, I'd take your dad out to a music shop with his favorite music and get him to listen to some of the better speaker brands (B&W, Paradigm, NHT, KEF, etc.) and see what his ears tell him.

Personally, I have a JoLida amp with B&W speakers and I'm quite satisfied with that combination.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:26:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Here you go, real speakers for real audiophiles...

When you watch Jurrassic Park, you can feel the T-Rex walking.

www.alteclansing.com/legacy/specs.asp

The fabulous Altec Lansing Voice of the Theatre!

These are the speakers used by movie theatres for many, many years.  They weigh 200 lb each.  Each one comes on a shipping pallet.  A mere $6100 each.

Yes, some guys put these in their homes.

I want them!

ETA:  Subwoofers?  We don need no stinkin' subwoofers!!!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:36:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Also worth pointing out that nobody here is reccomending Sony ... A clear sign you're getting good advice from people that know what they're talking about.

I run ...

Yamaha RXV2090 + DDP1 (Early Dolby Digital, plan on upgrading this year)
Boston Acoustics Mains, Centers and dipolar surrounds
Mirage Subwoofer

Real important point about brands like Bose ... Note that all of the top brands for home Audio that you hear being discussed in this thread, you've NEVER seen a television commercial for (Have you ever seen a TV commercial for Harmon Kardon, Yamaha, Cambridge Soundworks and so on?) The reason being, that these companies put all of their money into research and development and making a superior product ... They know their customer, and they know how to reach them and they know they don't have to blow huge amounts of cash (and thus charge huger amounts of cash) on television advertising. Bose on the other hand puts all of their money into advertising. Their customer is Joe Sixpack. The person that knows nothing about nothing, but figure ,well, it's expensive, it's probably pretty good.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:48:55 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Also worth pointing out that nobody here is reccomending Sony ... A clear sign you're getting good advice from people that know what they're talking about.

I run ...

Yamaha RXV2090 + DDP1 (Early Dolby Digital, plan on upgrading this year)
Boston Acoustics Mains, Centers and dipolar surrounds
Mirage Subwoofer

Real important point about brands like Bose ... Note that all of the top brands for home Audio that you hear being discussed in this thread, you've NEVER seen a television commercial for (Have you ever seen a TV commercial for Harmon Kardon, Yamaha, Cambridge Soundworks and so on?) The reason being, that these companies put all of their money into research and development and making a superior product ... They know their customer, and they know how to reach them and they know they don't have to blow huge amounts of cash (and thus charge huger amounts of cash) on television advertising. Bose on the other hand puts all of their money into advertising. Their customer is Joe Sixpack. The person that knows nothing about nothing, but figure ,well, it's expensive, it's probably pretty good.

DING!, DING!, DING!
We have a winner!

The biggest innovation "Doctor" Bose has made.........................

Is his heavy use of advertising, trying to sell his POS speakers/radios!

Hell Most of the tech in the "wave radio" is based off a patent from 1939!

Tall Shadow
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:55:03 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Klipsch

Salesman push Klipsch because they give way bigger commisions for sales.
Horns suck for tweeters.
Klipsch are real efficient because of their horns, which means they can get real loud on cheap equipment. The screech and really distort though.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:58:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:04:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:09:47 PM EDT
[#42]
I would look at the Tannoy....

I have listened to the arena setup in may different rooms and they are great! and are small like the Bose setup.

http://www.tannoy.com/ArenaOverview
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:16:44 PM EDT
[#43]
I recently went through a total upgrade of my home theater.  I did a shitload of research, tried and tested things, etc.

Here is what I got, after reading tons of reviews:

Harman Kardon HK 240-AVR receiver.  Damn nice, under $400, 7.1 surround.  One of the best values out there.

Oppo DVD player - beat out $2500 DVD players, and costs less than $200

SVS 5.1 Surround speakers with subwoofer.  The absolute best value in speakers for under $1000 total.  These things are incredible.  Here is a thread on one of the top AV forums out there:

www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=625876&page=1&pp=30

I installed mine yesterday and the wife and I were blown away by the clarity, quality, bass, etc.  Simply amazing.  Read the reviews on the thread.

Bose is overpriced, and does not do the job.  They are all marketing hype.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:20:32 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I would look at the Tannoy....

I have listened to the arena setup in may different rooms and they are great! and are small like the Bose setup.

http://www.tannoy.com/ArenaOverview

HOT LINKED
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:21:45 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

SVS - they are incredible.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:30:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Most of my hardware is Denon with big fuckin Peaveys
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:35:57 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

You can build one yourself that will KILL anything in your price range.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:42:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Klipsch are real efficient because of their horns, which means they can get real loud on cheap equipment. The screech and really distort though.

You haven't heard good horns, then.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:54:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Get Klipsh. He won't be sorry.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:54:08 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

You haven't heard good horns, then.

Get some Pioneer TAD's. If nothing else, you can show off how much you spent.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top