Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/15/2006 12:02:49 PM EDT
Look at this:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060115/ap_on_go_su_co/alito_156;_ylt=AmTtOF8kxA.XSHLkme7gwS1uCM0A;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Feins­tein Warns Against Alito Filibuster By HOPE YEN, Associated Press Writer
Sun Jan 15, 12:44 PM ET

WASHINGTON - A Democrat who plans to vote against Samuel Alito sided on Sunday with a Republican colleague on the Senate Judiciary Committee in cautioning against a filibuster of the Supreme Court nominee.

ADVERTISEMENT

"I do not see a likelihood of a filibuster," said Sen. Dianne Feinstein (news, bio, voting record), D-Calif. "This might be a man I disagree with, but it doesn't mean he shouldn't be on the court."

She said she will not vote to confirm the appeals court judge, based on his conservative record. But she acknowledged that nothing emerged during last week's hearings to justify any organized action by Democrats to stall the nomination.

"If there's a filibuster of this man based on his qualifications, there would be a huge backlash in this country," said Sen. Lindsey Graham (news, bio, voting record), R-S.C. He is one of 14 centrist senators who defused the Senate's showdown over judicial filibusters last year, saying such a tactic is justified only under extraordinary circumstances.

The committee's top Democrat, Sen. Patrick Leahy (news, bio, voting record) of Vermont, said last week that unidentified Democrats will "exercise their rights" to delay a committee vote that Republicans sought for Tuesday.

Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid of Nevada has called on party members to hold off making a decision until after a meeting Wednesday.

Sen. Charles Schumer (news, bio, voting record), D-N.Y., would not rule out a filibuster, saying committee Democrats were still going through the hearing transcripts and awaiting answers to written questions.

"It's premature to say anything till we fully assess the record," said Schumer, who appeared with Graham on "Fox News Sunday."

But Feinstein, who said she was concerned about Alito's conservative record on abortion rights and deference to executive power, acknowledged the 15-year appellate judge had the legal credentials to serve on the Supreme Court.

"I was impressed with his ability to maintain a very even demeanor," she said on CBS' "Face the Nation."

"I think there is an additional weight you must give to his background, his qualifications and his ability," she said.

The Washington Post, in an editorial Sunday, said Alito is "undeniably a conservative" but that nominees should not be opposed on ideology alone.

"To go down that road is to believe that there exists a Democratic law and a Republican law — which is repugnant to the ideal of the rule of law," the newspaper said. "While we harbor some anxiety about the direction he may push the court, we would be more alarmed at the long-term implications of denying him a seat."

All 10 Republicans on the committee have announced their support for Alito, a 55-year-old former prosecutor and Reagan administration lawyer who is President Bush's choice to replace retiring Justice Sandra Day O'Connor.

Likewise, the Senate's 55 Republicans are expected to line up strongly behind Alito.

Sen. Arlen Specter (news, bio, voting record), the committee chairman who supports abortion rights, acknowledged that Alito gave himself latitude during the hearings to revisit the 1973 Roe v. Wade abortion decision by declining to call it "settled law."

But Specter, R-Pa., noted that other justices such as O'Connor and David H. Souter also were believed to be hostile to the Roe decision, only to surprise everyone later with an opposite view once they were confirmed.

"The rule seems to be that there is no rule," Specter said on ABC's "This Week."

Sweet, about time she did something good.

-Ben
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:03:43 PM EDT
You said she did something right, I was hoping she played chicken with a train
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:04:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/15/2006 12:06:47 PM EDT by RockHard13F]

Originally Posted By Taxman:

I don't believe in miracles.

-Ben
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:05:33 PM EDT

Big +1
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:08:04 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:09:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By tc6969:
I refuse to read anything I have to scroll back and forth to see.

I refuse to reply to threads that I haven't read.

What's your point?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:10:41 PM EDT

You said she did something right, I was hoping she played chicken with a train jumped off the Golden Gate Bridge

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:11:03 PM EDT
I thought she croaked or something.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:11:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ARMALITE-FAN:
I thought she croaked or something.

She does that every time she speaks.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:15:13 PM EDT
I was hoping this a link to the obituaries, or maybe an article saying she had herself committed.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:22:52 PM EDT
She is still wrong because she is voting against him on based soley on personal beliefs, not because he in any way is unqualified. That is not how it is supposed to be.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:52:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/15/2006 3:53:39 PM EDT by NonConformist]

Originally Posted By RockHard13F:

I don't believe in miracles.

-Ben

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:47:48 PM EDT

"This might be a man I disagree with, but it doesn't mean he shouldn't be on the court."

She said she will not vote to confirm the appeals court judge

Gotta love that logic: "He shouldn't be prevented from being confirmed, but I'll try to prevent him from being confirmed."
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:57:09 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Skibane:

"This might be a man I disagree with, but it doesn't mean he shouldn't be on the court."

She said she will not vote to confirm the appeals court judge

Gotta love that logic: "He shouldn't be prevented from being confirmed, but I'll try to prevent him from being confirmed."

She's playing up to her Democratic minion. I just hope she doesn't want him on the court, because he will side with her against our 2nd Amendment Right.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:58:34 PM EDT
Maybe she can read the writing on the wall. The Democraps hurt themselves yet again with the way their more moonbat members conducted themselves during the hearings. Senator Kennedy would be doing the whole world a massive favor if he would just give it up and retire already.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:02:42 PM EDT

Feinstein et al. know full well that Alito changes NOTHING on the Court with regards to Roe v. Wade - which is all they care about.

Ginsberg, Souter, Bryer, Stevens & Kennedy still make the SCOTUS a 5-4 majority pro-abortion Leftist court.

Top Top