Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/15/2006 8:51:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/15/2006 8:52:56 AM EDT by vito113]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:52:22 AM EDT
oh teh noes!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:53:55 AM EDT
... Great time to begin investing in thermal depolymerization process technologies
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:01:44 AM EDT
Shut down the EPA and start drilling in NH....

Lets not forget the other 50 States...

Screw the enviromental activist. Send them all to Iran.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:03:22 AM EDT
oh yeah

IBP_O
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:04:13 AM EDT
I wish, for once, we could just be the imperialist capitalist pigs that the rest of the world accuses us of being and take someone over.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:04:15 AM EDT
Umm drilling in ANWR, the coat of California and Florida anyone? Right not the economy is being held hostage by 3rd World nutcases and radical environmentalists. Yet no one wants to take any of them on.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:05:18 AM EDT

Originally Posted By vito113:

Asefi called on big powers attending the London meeting -- the United States, Britain, France, Russia, China and Germany -- to refrain from "the language of intimidation and threats".
"Better results will definitely be achieved by resorting to negotiations and using respectful language..., he said.

Oh they have worked so well before
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:07:49 AM EDT

Seems like Iran is playing for keeps, they cut off the oil, the West's economy will be in a world of hurt...

Iran: sanctions over atomic work risk oil price spiral
15 Jan 2006 16:24:32 GMT
Source: Reuters
By Parinoosh Arami

TEHRAN, Jan 15 (Reuters) - Iran said on Sunday that only diplomacy, not threats to refer it to the U.N. Security Council, could defuse a standoff over its nuclear work and warned that any Western push for sanctions could jack up world oil prices. The Security Council's five permanent members and Germany planned talks in London on Monday on a common strategy to tackle Iran's resumption of atomic research after a two-year moratorium.

Iran says it aims only to make power for an energy-needy economy, not build atom bombs. But it hid nuclear work from the U.N. nuclear watchdog agency for almost 20 years before exiled dissidents exposed it in 2002. Last week Tehran scrapped its suspension of research, prompting a diplomatic scramble.

Iran's "red line" step in Western eyes was removing IAEA seals to reaccess equipment that purifies uranium, key component in nuclear power or, if enriched to a higher level, in weaponry.

"Diplomacy is the only clear answer to the current situation," Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Hamid Reza Asefi told a weekly news conference on Sunday.

"There is no legal basis for referring Iran to the Security Council. But if that were to happen Iran is not afraid."
Iranian Economy Minister Davoud Danesh-Jafari struck at the weakness of Western talk of punishing Iran over its nuclear programme by saying any sanctions could hurt the sponsors.

"Any possible sanctions on Iran ... could possibly, by disturbing Iran's political and economic situation, raise oil prices beyond levels the West expects," he told state radio.

Iran is the world's fourth largest exporter of crude oil.

Many EU, Russian, Chinese and developing world companies also conduct lucrative energy-related trade with the Islamic republic, suggesting economic sanctions will be anything but inevitable if the Security Council takes up Iran's case.
Asefi called on big powers attending the London meeting -- the United States, Britain, France, Russia, China and Germany -- to refrain from "the language of intimidation and threats".
"Better results will definitely be achieved by resorting to negotiations and using respectful language..., he said.

EMERGENCY IAEA MEETING
Western officials have raised the option of an emergency IAEA board meeting next month to send Iran to the Security Council, a step the board shelved in November to allow time for more EU and Russian dialogue with Tehran now in tatters.

But a senior EU official said IAEA chief Mohamed ElBaradei was posing an obstacle to a referral vote by refusing to provide a written report to the IAEA's 35-nation board on what Iran was doing regarding uranium enrichment.

The official said ElBaradei and U.N. Secretary General Kofi Annan were apparently trying to hold off the vote in hopes of reviving talks between Iran and Britain, France and Germany which the "EU3" declared at a dead end last week.
A diplomat close to the IAEA said ElBaradei's next written report was not due until March and the timing could not be brought forward without appearing to be "colluding with pro-referral powers".

The diplomat said the board could still hold a referral ballot without a formal report from Baradei. "Perhaps the EU fears that the anti-referral camp might refuse to vote without this report. But ElBaradei must stick to IAEA due process."
A senior German minister warned that Iran's huge reserves of oil and gas critical to big emerging economies such as China and India could stymie a Security Council bid for tough sanctions.

"For them Iran is a partner they can't do without," Deputy Foreign Minister Gernot Erler told Inforadio Berlin in comments recorded on Friday. "...Restrictions in trade relations... could hurt one's own side more than the other side.
"We are still very far away from any concrete sanctions."

Erler added that measures such as imposing travel restrictions on leading Iranian politicians would likely be more effective in changing attitudes in Tehran.

He said the confrontational approach taken by Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was closing the gap between the West and Russia and China, which have opposed hitting Tehran with sanctions and blocked a pro-referral consensus in the IAEA.
Washington and EU powers hoped at the London talks to swing Moscow and Beijing behind an IAEA motion for referral. But Erler cautioned against expectations of a breakthrough.

Ahmadinejad, who has stirred Western alarm by calling for Israel to be "wiped off the map", said on Saturday that Iran would not be put off from its drive to develop nuclear technology if referred to the Security Council.
(additional reporting by Louis Charbonneau and James Mackenzie in Berlin, and Paul Hughes in Tehran)

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L15677639.htm

The last time I looked, Iran supplied about 3% of the world’s oil… and < 1% of U.S. oil. They would have a MUCH bigger impact by just mining the gulf of Arabia (Which they have done before)
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:52:58 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 10:00:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/15/2006 10:01:23 AM EDT by Jasba]

Originally Posted By Ghost-Shooter:
I wish, for once, we could just be the imperialist capitalist pigs that the rest of the world accuses us of being and take someone over.

I don't.....I wish we would use our wealth and tremendous research and developement advantage to come up with a replacement for gasoline, then we can screw the rest of the world and see how they like it when we stay home for 20 years or so.......
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 10:15:20 AM EDT
Fight em on this now or fight em on it later --- either way sooner or later the showdown occurs. Iran will not back down on this issue. Irans ONLY course of action is to acquire a nuclear device and test it. Our only course of action is to oppose. The UNs only course of action is to waffle, cry pout --then take Irans side agianst the US cause its easier than preventing a new bully from getting stronger.
The longer the world waits the harder the fight gets. How many times do we see that before we realize that the eventual "body count" on both sides goes up the more we delay. I dont see any way Iran allows this to be resolved diplomaticly --the diplomatic process is Irans way of gaming the system to gain time, time to perfect a device, time for GWB to leave the white house, time for world opinion to work in thier favor, time for the world to tire of the conflict and give ground in an effort to keep the inevitable from happening.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 10:22:28 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Jasba:

Originally Posted By Ghost-Shooter:

I don't.....I wish we would use our wealth and tremendous research and developement advantage to come up with a replacement for gasoline, then we can screw the rest of the world and see how they like it when we stay home for 20 years or so.......

I love how people think that engineers & scientists can just "come up" with whatever we want if we have unlimited "backing." It dosen't work that way. Replacing gasoline is kinda complicated.

People are thinking about it, but face the facts. Oil is here, oil works, and we will be using oil for a long time.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:12:19 PM EDT
Oil at 100 dollars a barrel would make my family rich. If it gets to 200 dollars a barrel I will buy everyone on ARFCOM who is nice a gift. Bring it on!!!!!

-Ben
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:19:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By offctr:
Fight em on this now or fight em on it later --- either way sooner or later the showdown occurs. Iran will not back down on this issue. Irans ONLY course of action is to acquire a nuclear device and test it. Our only course of action is to oppose. The UNs only course of action is to waffle, cry pout --then take Irans side agianst the US cause its easier than preventing a new bully from getting stronger.
The longer the world waits the harder the fight gets. How many times do we see that before we realize that the eventual "body count" on both sides goes up the more we delay. I dont see any way Iran allows this to be resolved diplomaticly --the diplomatic process is Irans way of gaming the system to gain time, time to perfect a device, time for GWB to leave the white house, time for world opinion to work in thier favor, time for the world to tire of the conflict and give ground in an effort to keep the inevitable from happening.

In Summary-
Kick Their Ass and Take the Gas!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:32:24 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:34:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By brassburn:

I'm curious how you think we should deal with them?

he'll do what all good brits do, whine and complain while keeping an air of superiority about himself
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:46:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RockHard13F:
Oil at 100 dollars a barrel would make my family rich. If it gets to 200 dollars a barrel I will buy everyone on ARFCOM who is nice a gift. Bring it on!!!!!

-Ben

I invested in some oil drilling a while back and we just hit big time. In a few months when a couple of the wells are finished, I'll be buying presents as well.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:10:55 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:23:22 PM EDT

Worlds 4th largest producer, 4 million barrels per day

Yep. and the world consumes about a 100 million bpd

and about 10% of the worlds Oil reserves...

and the other 90% is elsewhere.

We need to embargo them, then bomb their ports, refineries and power generating facilities. Then sew their fields with salt and go after the water supply (If this is what it takes.)

These are not "nice guys," give them nukes and the shit will hit the fan.

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:31:26 PM EDT

In the long term, yes oil will reach $100+ a barrel, but an instan hike would be disasterous for some economies.

What should 'we' do about them? Easy enough, drop all the rhetoric, open up all and every trade route to Iran, bombard them with the Western consumer dream.

Iranans are not arabs, they are as a whole very pro western and quite pro US.

The current sanctions and rhetoric play into the Mullahs hands. Like all people when threatened they rally round the flag. The sanctions already in force hurt Irans population far more than the elite Clerics and provide something for the Mullahs to rally the population around.

Exposure to Western Consumerism is something the Mullahs fear like a vampire fears Garlic. The curret theocracy in Iran is just a blip in their history, they are not a particulary religious people. Iran is always one step away from a populist revolt against the Mullahs, prosperity, Western' prosperity will make the Mullahs vanish like morning dew.

This is why Ahmadinejad is trying to whip up a war hysteria, the Mullahs can only stay in power by having a state of emergency to distract he population from internal problems.

ANdy

I think your right. I believe there has been recent assasination attempts on the new president there. And it is true, the people there are not arabs, and they are very pro-american in general, unlike most other countries. Of course I am talking about the people, not the leaders in govt, they hate us with a passion.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:34:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/15/2006 2:36:26 PM EDT by Mr45auto]
without oil exports they're done. What the hell can they sell on the world market? Sand?

If they cut off oil they will cut off their source of funds as well. I hope they like the taste of oil cause that's all they're gonna have.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:04:04 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:27:22 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:39:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/15/2006 3:39:38 PM EDT by BigB1129]
How about why stop depending on oil. Then these countries will go down the shitter and we wont have to worry about them anymore

But that will never happen. Big oil companies make too much money
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:41:09 PM EDT
Let's find out what Peak Oil really is?

And/or get some nukers going.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:44:17 PM EDT
if they have so much cheap oil.....why do they need Nuke power-plants? That don't make any sense, the cost of nuclear generation vs. just burning cheap oil they already have to generate is stupid. There *has* to be another reason for it, aka weapons. Anyone who doesn't see that needs to be slaped until they do.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:25:03 PM EDT
Let's nuke their oil fields. We'll see how much power the mullahs have when they lose their only export and the source of $$$ to prop up their power.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:27:29 PM EDT
US doesn't buy Irans oil anyway.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 10:12:26 PM EDT
So they sell their oil to China and india. That frees up the other supplies they were consuming for our use. Personally I fail to see the downside to Iran being pissy or getting the crap bombed out of them.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 10:54:39 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:11:09 PM EDT
Do we yet have a bomb that will simultaneously nuke Iran and refine all of their oil via heat transmitted through sand?
Top Top