Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/14/2006 7:16:10 PM EDT
i just have a couple questions really.

Where do you guys get your supplies/equipment from?

Should I get a 6.0 or 6.5 gl carboy? I am not going to do secondary fermentations to start with.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:17:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/14/2006 7:18:13 PM EDT by TheRedHorseman]
do the secondary, its just better for the beer.

I buy from these guys brew your own brew because they are in town. just get an ale pail for the primary, a 6.5 gal carboy for secondary and then either keg or bottle. ale pails are cheap and you cant make them explode with a clogged airlock like a carboy can.(safety first!)

edit: the Arizona IPA kit is outstanding, as is their brown ale kit.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:31:25 AM EDT
If I choose to keg the beer, how long does it last on the shelf and after being tapped? If I could find say some 2.5 gallon kegs and use them, that would be great.

I am assuming that using CO2 is different than a keg I would get to have a party cause a "normal keg" I use a tap that puts outside air in the keg, but this type I would use with co2 would make the beer last longer after opening???

I dont' want to have to drink five gallons of beer in a weekend, just because I decided I want one beer.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:34:04 AM EDT

Originally Posted By enigma2y0u:

I dont' want to have to drink five gallons of beer in a weekend, just because I decided I want one beer.

Lightweight!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:34:55 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:36:31 AM EDT
you use a regulator to keep the keg under constant co2 pressure. and I've got a keg that I've been working on for about 2 months now and it tastes great. you can also keg condition beer where it does a natural carbonation inside the keg and it will last for quite some time.
I highly reccomend you buy "the complete joy of homebrewing" by papazian, great book with tons of good info in it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:47:39 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:48:18 AM EDT
dont worry, have a homebrew
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:51:40 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TheRedHorseman:
you use a regulator to keep the keg under constant co2 pressure. and I've got a keg that I've been working on for about 2 months now and it tastes great. you can also keg condition beer where it does a natural carbonation inside the keg and it will last for quite some time.
I highly reccomend you buy "the complete joy of homebrewing" by papazian, great book with tons of good info in it.

www.howtobrew.com/intro.html

I read this one online last night. It gave me some good info, but I will look into getting a hard copy of something, so thanks.

I think I am going to order some stuff today and give it a whirl next week. Do you guys have a good first brew reccomendation? I like usually like any medium color beer, but I am open to suggestions.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:55:10 AM EDT
a brown ale, perhaps a honey brown would be a good one. if you're big on hops go with an IPA, but be sure that you like that kind of beer as the hop flavor profile tends to be a bit, ah, umm agressive with some of them. or if you like stouts, those are a great one as well and you dont need a nitrogen setup like guinness does(unless you want to get really fancy)
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:22:43 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:29:16 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:57:10 AM EDT
The mentioned intrnet retialers are very good.
I started two batches last night, One a English Stout, and the other a dark Ale. Give it a wirl just one thing to remember that with home brewing just like your AR, clean, then clean it again.
Top Top