Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2006 6:58:00 PM EDT
Center of Gravity?

Steering Ratio?

Track Width?  Is this inside of tire to inside of tire?

Body length?  Is this bumper to bumper?

Date of Manufacture?

Total vehicle weight (empty)?

What all the numbers and letters in the VIN number mean?

Front and rear axle wieghts?  Would this be the gross front and rear axle weights on the sticker on the driver side door?

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:00:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Repair manual and pirate4x4 would  be  my starting locations
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:06:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I have looked in the owners manual and cannot find them.

What is pirate4x4?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:07:56 PM EDT
[#3]
pirate4x4.com  its the ARFCOM of offroading
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:09:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have looked in the owners manual and cannot find them.

What is pirate4x4?

Not owner's manual, repair or shop manual.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:15:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I guess I would have to go to the dealer to find that?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:17:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Tips to understanding your vehicles serial (VIN) number

They are as follows:

1st character- Identifies the country in which the vehicle was manufactured.
For example: U.S.A.(1or4), Canada(2), Mexico(3), Japan(J), Korea(K), England(S), Germany(W), Italy(Z)

2nd character- Identifies the manufacturer. For example; Audi(A),
BMW(B), Buick(4), Cadillac(6), Chevrolet(1), Chrysler(C), Dodge(B),
Ford(F), GM Canada(7), General Motors(G), Honda(H), Jaquar(A), Lincoln(L), Mercedes Benz(D), Mercury(M), Nissan(N), Oldsmobile(3), Pontiac(2or5), Plymouth(P), Saturn(8), Toyota(T), VW(V), Volvo(V).

3rd character- Identifies vehicle type or manufacturing division.

4th to 8th characters- Identifies vehicle features such as body style, engine type, model, series, etc.

9th character- Identifies VIN accuracy as check digit.

10th character- Identifies the model year. For example: 1988(J), 1989(K), 1990(L), 1991(M), 1992(N), 1993(P), 1994(R), 1995(S), 1996(T),
1997(V), 1998(W), 1999(X), 2000(Y)------2001(1), 2002(2), 2003(3)

11th character- Identifies the assembly plant for the vehicle.

12th to 17th characters- Identifies the sequence of the vehicle for production
as it rolled of the manufacturers assembly line.
Understanding the cars vehicle identification number has become very popular with car collectors for new and old vehicles alike. Collectors can confirm a vehicles uniqueness, collectability and date of production. Consider this- owning one of the last cars off the assembly line for a certain year or model or how about owing one of the first 50 of a new model off the assembly line. Car collecting has become an immense world wide hobby/business and knowing how to read and understand a VIN is a very important aspect.

This site has everything you want to know about your truck.The reports are $48 but are offical and immune to challenge in court(in case you need it for that reason)

www.motorvehicledata.com/

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:34:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I guess I would have to go to the dealer to find that?

That or perhaps a Chilton manual or some other brand shop manual.  The factory is most likely going to give you more info, but I think sometimes the Chiltons are better at explaining how to perform a task.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:53:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I went to the dealership today.  I got everything I need to know except the center or gravity.

The vehicle in question is a 2002 Chevy Z71 short box, extened cab.

Scott
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top