Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/14/2006 3:43:23 PM EDT
Got to visit the Seaport Museum and USS Olympia (of Spanish-American War and WWI fame) today in Philadelphia,PA........here's some pics.....tours are free to all active-duty military if you ever pass through Philadelphia.

U.S.S. OLYMPIA

Small Arms Locker

Close-Up of Small Arms Rack

.30-40 Krag used in Spanish American War

.45-70's and other firearms

5 INCH Guns

Enlisted Berthing...........I'll take the Marriott or Holiday Inn - THANKS :)

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:50:21 PM EDT
Another pic - most amazing part of the boat was all the restored wood on the vessel - not like a modern Navy ship at all.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:56:14 PM EDT
Good pics thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:00:46 PM EDT
thanks.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:10:22 PM EDT
That's a cool ship. Did they happen to tell you why the superstructure is painted khaki?

Galland
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:13:18 PM EDT
Awesome pictures! Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:19:00 PM EDT
Are those small arms in the small arms locker actually firearms? They look like drill team "rifles".
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:21:29 PM EDT
Trice up man
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:22:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Galland:
That's a cool ship. Did they happen to tell you why the superstructure is painted khaki?

Galland

IIRC during the battle of Manila, the ships were all in grey. The very visble ochre and white arrangement is from the later era of the Great White Fleet, Teddy Roosevelt's way of saying to the world, "America has arrived".
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:44:21 PM EDT
Having been a volunteer onboard USS Olympia for over three years in the 90's, I can honestly tell you it is a truly humbling life experience for this retired Coastie.

Everything from the ceremonial fantail whereas the remains of our nation's First Unknown solider, the armored bridge whereas Admiral Dewey said to the ship's captain Gridley "You may fire at will" (in the Battle of Manila Bay where the Spanish Fleet was either sunk / destroyed in one day), to the sparce, cork insulated brig above the keel, to every fire room and screw jack actuated coal bunker doors adjacent to them (remember the collision scene in the movie Titanic within the fire room?- Thats what is looks like), to the forward compartment were the entire ship was steered prior to launching the ship's bow torpedo, it's inspiring to note what our great grandfathers did (and endured & died) which showed with President Roosevelt's / US's Great White Fleet.

If anyone ever has a chance to volunteer, please do so.

It's a chance in a lifetime you will never forget.

-P
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:54:09 PM EDT

Originally Posted By shasta69:
Having been a volunteer onboard USS Olympia for over three years in the 90's, I can honestly tell you it is a truly humbling life experience for this retired Coastie.

Everything from the ceremonial fantail whereas the remains of our nation's First Unknown solider, the armored bridge whereas Admiral Dewey said to the ship's captain Gridley "You may fire at will" (in the Battle of Manila Bay where the Spanish Fleet was either sunk / destroyed in one day), to the sparce, cork insulated brig above the keel, to every fire room and screw jack actuated coal bunker doors adjacent to them (remember the collision scene in the movie Titanic within the fire room?- Thats what is looks like), to the forward compartment were the entire ship was steered prior to launching the ship's bow torpedo, it's inspiring to note what our great grandfathers did (and endured & died) which showed with President Roosevelt's / US's Great White Fleet.

If anyone ever has a chance to volunteer, please do so.

It's a chance in a lifetime you will never forget.

-P

We will definitely visit it, next time my family and I are in Philly.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:12:14 PM EDT
I was on that ship about 4 years ago (and the sub docked beside it). Both were very impressive and amazing to be standing where history was made.

The only problem was that I didn't have enough time since I had to catch a flight.

Oh yeah...and after only 30 minutes of walking through the sub all my clothes smelled like coal tar.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:39:48 PM EDT
DAMN, DAMN, DAMN THE INSURRECTOS!
CROSS-EYED KAKIAC LADRONES!
UNDERNEATH THE STARRY FLAG, CIVILIZE "EM WITH A KRAG,
AND RETURN US TO OUR OWN BELOVED HOMES!
Social customs there were few, ladies all would smoke and chew,
And the men did things the padres said were wrong.
They did things that weren't nice, but the padres cut no ice,
So you heard the soldiers sing this evening song:
CHORUS

Underneath a nipa thatch, where the lazy chickens scratch,
only refuge after hiking all day long
When I lay me down and slept, slimy lizards o'er me crept,
Then you heard the soldiers sing this evening song:
CHORUS

Insurrectos come and go, but there's one thing we now know
Filipinos are among our fondest friends.
Though we love them to the hilt, still and all we love the lilt
Of this Soldier's Song whose memory never ends:
DAMN, DAMN, DAMN THE INSURRECTOS!
CROSS-EYED KAKIAC LADRONES!
THOUGH WE USED TO HATE THEIR HIDES,
TIME HAS TURNED A LOT OF TIDES
WHICH IS WHY WE SANG THE SONG IN DULCET TONES!
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:40:22 PM EDT

Galland

We have a local veterans memorial park where the base of the conning tower of the U.S.S. Maine is on display. It is also painted kahki/tan.

For those who don't know, the U.S.S. Maine was raised, salvaged and towed out to sea and scuttled.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:02:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Sukebe:

Galland

We have a local veterans memorial park where the base of the conning tower of the U.S.S. Maine is on display. It is also painted kahki/tan.

For those who don't know, the U.S.S. Maine was raised, salvaged and towed out to sea and scuttled.

IIRC, in 1913 when the Maine was raised the forward mast was removed the wreckage of the forward section and ultimately placed in a memorial on Key West where most of the sailors were buried.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:19:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 95thFoot:
Are those small arms in the small arms locker actually firearms? They look like drill team "rifles".

Two looked like drill team rifles but I know for a fact one was real or at least demilled. I highly doubt any of them were functional being this is Philadelphia and they were'nt secured "that" well.

The Museum was definitely worth the visit. Being Coast Guard now I understood a lot more of the nautical/maritime aspect of the Seaport museum - things that would have been foreign to me when I was active-duty Army.

Thanks to everyone who has served and also to people who keeps this historical sites intact.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:26:59 PM EDT
Very cool
Top Top