BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:27:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:30:00 AM EDT
[#2]
a SA mil-spec 1911 so i can have a good range gun and custom it up to my specs..

what should i do first??
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:49:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Between the wife and I we expect a refund of about $7K.   I intentionally overpay as in previous years I've owed similar amounts.    I'd much rather loan them money interest free than get smacked again with the sledgehammer and lose things I hold dear.    I give them a huge buffer so if I screw something up it wont cut into my living expenses at all.   Even a HUGE screwup and I'm relatively safe.  

I'm buying a CMP garand and paying off bills with the rest!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:18:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Wife filed ours on Saturday....We are getting back Just a shade under 7,000 Federal and State. Many people don't like our method of paying more than we need to throughout the year, but I have had to pay taxes in years past, and found that to be much, much worse. Much better to receive my money back,than to have to send a check to the Gov't.  I am paying off my 1 and only credit card, and am going to use the rest for paying down bills. I am dedicated to becoming debt free, regardless of how long it takes.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:25:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeouch - I can't imagine giving up $7000 of my money for 13 months that could be earning interest - hell, $7000 at 4% is going to net you around $250 or so.  

Should be an interesting year for us - it will be the first time we use a long form instead of an EZ.  16 years we've been married and have never had enough deductions or large enough mortgage to justify anything but the standard deductions.

But this year we have moving expenses, mortgage, closing costs, college tuition deducts, wife has a home office, etc.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:59:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I wish this country would have a tax revolt.

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:01:43 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I wish this country would have a tax revolt.

Be sure to call me if I'm late.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:03:57 AM EDT
[#8]
I did an estimate and will get  about a grand back. I'll pay my proprty taxes, get some things to round out my SHTF setups, put a few dollars in my rainy day fund, and finally get my concealled carry permit.   Rich
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:05:18 AM EDT
[#9]
We complain but compared to other countries the amount of taxes we pay is significantly lower.  Perhaps we get less in government programs but thats fine with me.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:34:32 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
We complain but compared to other countries the amount of taxes we pay is significantly lower.  Perhaps we get less in government programs but thats fine with me.

If we ran our 'retirement' fund (that is attached) to taxes like Luxembourg does, I'd be all for it.

I'm friends with the guy who started Trisport (bicycle shop) in Echternach, Lux.  He retired, and now his son runs the place.

EDIT:  He's still a U.S. citizen, and his time in the US Army was applied to his Lux retirement.  He was in the Army 3 years or so.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:37:23 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If we ran our 'retirement' fund (that is attached) to taxes like Luxembourg does, I'd be all for it.

I'm friends with the guy who started Trisport (bicycle shop) in Echternach, Lux.  He retired, and now his son runs the place.

EDIT:  He's still a U.S. citizen, and his time in the US Army was applied to his Lux retirement.  He was in the Army 3 years or so.

Damn what a concept.  The more you put in the more you get out.  Isnt that novel.  Our system is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:38:33 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

What?! How can you say that! Dont you care about your fellow man?? Dont you think everyone in America should be provided with certain benefits? Doesnt it make sense that those who have a great excess should help out those who have nothing?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:49:36 AM EDT
[#13]
If I don't have to pay maybe one of these.........
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:53:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Cool.

Is that yours?

How old is that?

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:56:19 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn what a concept.  The more you put in the more you get out.  Isnt that novel.  Our system is ridiculous.

No kidding.

Heck, they sent him a statement twice I year or so.  Told me he now makes almost as much per month retired as he did while working.  

He's good people - as is his entire family - I'm always happy to see good folks enjoy life.

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:59:20 AM EDT
[#16]
If and a big IF I get anything back, it's ALL going to pay off debt.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:12:42 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Geez...I wish I was getting a refund.  My accountant tells me I'm going to owe about $15k.  

I believe your accountant should be terminated.

Owing $15k at tax time means he/she wasn't paying attention to your finances DURING the year.

I agree. If you owe 15K, you have a very poor accountant. I can't recall the number, but it was like 65% of people who call themselves "accountants" don't hold a degree in accounting.

It's worse in the design business. About 90% have failed at everything else; so they get a desktop computer some pirated software and are an instant artist or designer! I wish my profession would have some type of certification process. It makes my job hard.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:26:14 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I wish my profession would have some type of certification process.

What's your profession?  Just curious.

And FWIW, I'm an electrician.

The Delusional Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation]www.license.state.tx.us/electricians/elec.htm]Delusional Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation decided to go to a state-wide Journeyman's license.

Previously, you had to prove you worked 8K hours, and have a Master sign the form. then you applied to take the Journeyman's test.

When they implemented the State Journeyman's license, they grandfathered people in:  all you had to do was get a Master to sign verifying 8K hours, and they GAVE you a license - no testing involved.  The rumor was it cost about $500 to get a Master to sign a bogus form.

And I think they just recently stopped the grandfather BS.

Along with a state license, I also have a city license. When I went to renew it, the clerk (a friend) said there's a bunch of Journeyman out there that can't do squat.  A bunch of contractors are raising a stink about it - as well they should.  He admitted they've had backroom discussions that were along the lines of, 'Hey we really f*cked up!'

EDIT:  just realized I'm writing about licensing in a tax refund thread.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:27:33 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Cool.

Is that yours?

How old is that?

I wish I had one.

I'm guessing that in the very early 60's that my brother and I got them for Christmas.
Made a mark on me for life. Happiest kids in the world.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:32:42 AM EDT
[#20]
I don't know how much yet but I am buying a Browning Buckmark Hunter.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:47:27 AM EDT
[#21]
waiting for the w2
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:53:15 AM EDT
[#22]
I did a quick and dirty check last week and I will owe about $1500 fed, $600 state and $150 city.

I haven't got a refund in over 10 years.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:10:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Don't know just yet....I think close to $1k.

I will stash it into my savings account.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top