Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2006 1:43:03 PM EDT
I just ordered the dvd set "Fierce and Female" for my wife to watch.  Its by Mellisa Soalt.

http://www.paladin-press.com/detail.aspx?ID=1298

http://www.dr-ruthless.com/video.htm

Its supposed to be a good self-defense video for women, talking about how to protect themselves from rapists and attackers.  Has anybod watched this before?  Was it worth the 60 bucks?  I'm hoping its not too big on "martial arts" types stuff as much as it is about attitude, situational awareness, and very basic and simple protective type defensive attacks.

ETA:  my biggest goal is to develop her awareness and attitude.  I am hoping that there might be some good stuff in this video that will help contribute to her mindset of kicking ass rather then being a victim, and how to deal with fear.  Any comments?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 1:55:41 PM EDT
[#1]
"SHOW ME YOUR WAR FACE!"
"yarr"
"BULLSHIT!"
"yarr!"
"KICK TO THE GROIN, MOVE!"
<thunk>
<screech of pain followed by dry heaves>
"TO THE DUMMY YOU MORON!"

something like that?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 1:59:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I ttought it was about Jello wrestling.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 2:27:27 PM EDT
[#3]
?

you guys are confusing me

hope i didn't waste sixty bucks
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 2:32:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Last post was a joke

If I were you I would try asking in the women's forum, maybe some of them have seen the videos.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 2:33:35 PM EDT
[#5]
We're fierce, we're feminine, and we're in your face!
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:09:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Last post was a joke

If I were you I would try asking in the women's forum, maybe some of them have seen the videos.

I might try that if I don't get many responses.  I figured there would be some married guys on arfcom who are as protective and paranoid as I am, and have watched this with their wife/daughters/etc.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:14:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
We're fierce, we're feminine, and we're in your face!

ditto  
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:32:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't know if I am misunderstanding you guys, but I don't see why the idea of females learning to defend themselves is so funny.  I can garauntee that there are women out there who could kick your asses, and mine.  Not many, but there are.  Also, a women doesn't have to be able to kick your ass in the octogan in order to be effective at doing enough damage to you in order to escape/defend themselves.

One of the reasons that I got this video was to help overcome the subconcsious attitude implanted in most womens minds, including my wifes to some degree, that being capable of operating under stress, and acting desicively and violently in order to protect yourself is something that is natural to men but not women.  Attitudes like that are what teach women to be victims.  When most people are attacked by criminals they go into "victim mode" instead of "cave-man I'm gonna fuck you up" mode.  A lot of people have a divided mind when they are attacked, especially women, because of these attitudes.  Instead of focusing on how they are going to hurt and disable this person in order to stop the attack, or get away, they are thinking "oh my God this isn't happening to me", "poor me I am a victim", or "I have to win this competition so I don't look stupid, my girlfriend is watching me and I don't want to look like a pussy".  A fight or a self-defense situation isn't about a competition to see who can win, and it damn sure shouldn't be about giving up and being a victim,  its about survival of the decisive and survival of the fittest, and the fittest is usually the person who is capable of being the meanest and delivering the most violence, as well as having training to revert to when you don't have time to think but must act.  You have to learn to be pissed off and channel the fight or flight response into action and hurting this person if that's what it takes to stop this threat.  Laughing at the phrase "fierce and female" is exactly why women think that they are not supposed to be capable of doing this.

anyway, rant off...
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:39:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Fierce and Female describes my freinds step daughter to a T. as a matter of fact she just walked by looking mean.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:41:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I don't know if I am misunderstanding you guys, but I don't see why the idea of females learning to defend themselves is so funny.  I can garauntee that there are women out there who could kick your asses, and mine.  Not many, but there are.  Also, a women doesn't have to be able to kick your ass in the octogan in order to be effective at doing enough damage to you in order to escape/defend themselves.

One of the reasons that I got this video was to help overcome the subconcsious attitude implanted in most womens minds, including my wifes to some degree, that being capable of operating under stress, and acting desicively and violently in order to protect yourself is something that is natural to men but not women.  Attitudes like that are what teach women to be victims.  When most people are attacked by criminals they go into "victim mode" instead of "cave-man I'm gonna fuck you up" mode.  A lot of people have a divided mind when they are attacked, especially women, because of these attitudes.  Instead of focusing on how they are going to hurt and disable this person in order to stop the attack, or get away, they are thinking "oh my God this isn't happening to me", "poor me I am a victim", or "I have to win this competition so I don't look stupid".  A fight or a self-defense situation isn't about a competition to see who can win, and it damn sure shouldn't be about giving up and being a victim,  its about survival of the decisive and survival of the fittest, and the fittest is usually the person who is capable of being the meanest and delivering the most violence, as well as having training to revert to when you don't have time to think but must act.  You have to learn to be pissed off and channel the fight or flight response into action and hurting this person if that's what it takes to stop this threat.  Laughing at the phrase "fierce and female" is exactly why women think that they are not supposed to be capable of doing this.

anyway, rant off...

Lighten up, Francis.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:45:22 PM EDT
[#11]
if you don't think females can be fierce, just see what they will do if you threaten their children.  Women in general, as well as female's of other species.  I'd say that the majority men have the "victim" mindset and would hesitate at the moment of truth.  The only reason it may be more common in women is because they are taught to be that way.  Men may be stronger then women, but there are a lot of men out there who are pussies mentally.  

The idea of this I think is not to teach women to fight as proficiently as a man, but to be decisive.  There are men out there who might be able to take me in a fight, but being decisive can make the difference.  Besides, I'd rather die on my feet then on my knees, so to speak.   And thats what I want to teach my wife.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:46:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

One of the reasons that I got this video was to help overcome the subconcsious attitude implanted in most womens minds, including my wifes to some degree, that being capable of operating under stress, and acting desicively and violently in order to protect yourself is something that is natural to men but not women.  Attitudes like that are what teach women to be victims.  When most people are attacked by criminals they go into "victim mode" instead of "cave-man I'm gonna fuck you up" mode.  A lot of people have a divided mind when they are attacked, especially women, because of these attitudes.  Instead of focusing on how they are going to hurt and disable this person in order to stop the attack, or get away, they are thinking "oh my God this isn't happening to me", "poor me I am a victim", or "I have to win this competition so I don't look stupid".  A fight or a self-defense situation isn't about a competition to see who can win, and it damn sure shouldn't be about giving up and being a victim,  its about survival of the decisive and survival of the fittest, and the fittest is usually the person who is capable of being the meanest and delivering the most violence, as well as having training to revert to when you don't have time to think but must act.  You have to learn to be pissed off and channel the fight or flight response into action and hurting this person if that's what it takes to stop this threat.  Laughing at the phrase "fierce and female" is exactly why women think that they are not supposed to be capable of doing this.

anyway, rant off...

Lighten up, Francis.

i'm partly trying to get this thread going so I can find out if anyones seen this and if I wasted my sixty bucks.  

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:55:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
... I don't see why the idea of females learning to defend themselves is so funny.  I can garauntee that there are women out there who could kick your asses, and mine.  Not many, but there are.  Also, a women doesn't have to be able to kick your ass in the octogan in order to be effective at doing enough damage to you in order to escape/defend themselves.

One of the reasons that I got this video was to help overcome the subconcsious attitude implanted in most womens minds, including my wifes to some degree, that being capable of operating under stress, and acting desicively and violently in order to protect yourself is something that is natural to men but not women.  Attitudes like that are what teach women to be victims.  When most people are attacked by criminals they go into "victim mode" instead of "cave-man I'm gonna fuck you up" mode.  A lot of people have a divided mind when they are attacked, especially women, because of these attitudes.  Instead of focusing on how they are going to hurt and disable this person in order to stop the attack, or get away, they are thinking "oh my God this isn't happening to me", "poor me I am a victim", or "I have to win this competition so I don't look stupid, my girlfriend is watching me and I don't want to look like a pussy".  A fight or a self-defense situation isn't about a competition to see who can win, and it damn sure shouldn't be about giving up and being a victim,  its about survival of the decisive and survival of the fittest, and the fittest is usually the person who is capable of being the meanest and delivering the most violence, as well as having training to revert to when you don't have time to think but must act.  You have to learn to be pissed off and channel the fight or flight response into action and hurting this person if that's what it takes to stop this threat.  Laughing at the phrase "fierce and female" is exactly why women think that they are not supposed to be capable of doing this.

anyway, rant off...

If it makes you feel any better, Missy Salmon kicked my ass in third grade.

(She thought cats were girls and dogs were boys. I knew that dogs and cats with LONG hair were girls, short hairs were boys. We argued until it became a point of honor that could only be settled in the dirt of the playground, as per the code duello, as our seconds looked on.)  
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:56:34 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
... I don't see why the idea of females learning to defend themselves is so funny.  I can garauntee that there are women out there who could kick your asses, and mine.  Not many, but there are.  Also, a women doesn't have to be able to kick your ass in the octogan in order to be effective at doing enough damage to you in order to escape/defend themselves.

anyway, rant off...

(She thought cats were girls and dogs were boys. I knew that dogs and cats with LONG hair were girls, short hairs were boys. We argued until it became a point of honor that could only be settled in the dirt of the playground, as per the code duello, as our seconds looked on.)  

Now that's funny, I don't care who you are.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:57:30 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

anyway, rant off...

don't feel bad, i sort of got beat up by a really big and fat black girl in third grade too.  and yes, she started it, or else my dad would have beat my ass.  I didn't get hurt, but I wasn't exactly victorious.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:59:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
i'm partly trying to get this thread going so I can find out if anyones seen this and if I wasted my sixty bucks.

That would have bought 250 rounds of XM193, or 2.4 team memberships...
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:35:58 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That would have bought 250 rounds of XM193, or 2.4 team memberships...

My team-membership is in the mail!  I'm hoping next weekend I'll have my membership.

Don't even bring up the ammo thing, I'm an addict.  Every time I spend money on ANYTHING I think of it in terms of how much 556 or 9mm I could buy...

Who knows, maybe something on that video will affect my wife in some way that it will increase her level of safety and readiness.  That's my hope anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top