Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2006 1:30:13 PM EDT
I have heard that they actually were invented in France.  Does anyone have and solid info on this?

www.balisongcollector.com/history.html
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 1:31:17 PM EDT
[#1]
they were but the frogs surrendered the claim to the philipines
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 1:32:04 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
they were but the frogs surrendered the claim to the philipines

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 1:32:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been led to believe they were invented in the Phillipines and became popular when discovered by US Soldiers and Marines who brought them home. Could be wrong though.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 1:39:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have heard that they actually were invented in France.  Does anyone have and solid info on this?

www.balisongcollector.com/history.html

don't you mean "oriental"???
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 1:46:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Have no idea where they got started but sure were a "going thing" in the PI during the Vietnam era.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 1:47:25 PM EDT
[#6]
All I know is I am smart enough to not start shit with a Filipino that has a fillet knife .
You ever seen a 90# soaking wet Filipino woman skin gut and fillet a 250# halibut in under a minuet?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:55:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I prefer to think that the article is backwards.  They were developed in the Phillipines, adopted by some Spanish who brought it back to Europe, and it spread a little from there.  If it was a French invention, wouldn't it have been more widely used and sold?  Though I do admit the French do like some things simple, the Opinal for instance. Can't get much simpler than that.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:03:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
All I know is I am smart enough to not start shit with a Filipino that has a fillet knife .
You ever seen a 90# soaking wet Filipino woman skin gut and fillet a 250# halibut in under a minuet?

No, but if I did I'd probably marry her.  (If I wasn't already married).
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:07:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, but if I did I'd probably marry her.  (If I wasn't already married).

Heh . Old enough to be my granny too . She kept trying to hook me up with her grand kids back home .
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:17:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

All the time..
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:20:12 PM EDT
[#11]
It would be baRisong or butteLfRy if that was true.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:29:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

To fucking funny!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:39:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

To fucking funny!

The R and L confusion doesn't hold with Filipinos.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:52:41 PM EDT
[#14]
A friend of mine told me that every hooker in the Phillipines carries one, and they don't like to see one their customers socializing with their competition.  The madame called him a "butterfly," because he went from one girl to another, and I wonder if that's where the name comes from?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:59:28 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

To fucking funny!

The R and L confusion doesn't hold with Filipinos.

It's the "F" and the "P"
and the best maker of balisong is in batangas province and suppose to be made of molten ball bearings.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:08:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:39:52 PM EDT
[#17]
That's true we never had a letter "F" on our native alphabet that why we say Puck insted of F***.

Trigger
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top