Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/14/2006 11:25:13 AM EDT
Just wondering how you all refurbish and clean your GI Ammo Cans?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:26:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/14/2006 11:26:44 AM EDT by TheRedHorseman]
spraypaint works well for me for refinish

windex or whatever multi purpose cleaner for cleaning stuff off of them
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:33:06 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TheRedHorseman:
spraypaint works well for me for refinish

windex or whatever multi purpose cleaner for cleaning stuff off of them

I use orange glow degreaser. Works great.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:35:50 AM EDT
Don't forget to use a warm washcloth with a little soapy water to thoroughly clean the rubber gasket. Then rinse with with a wet washcloth. Let dry thoroughly and then spray down with silicone spray to protect the rubber. I give it a good spray-down, let dry and then put another coating.

The can itself I wash with warm soapy water, let dry thoroughly, then spray on primer and olive drab spray paint.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:40:24 AM EDT
not to hijack, but well it is. I have some large cans with the re-enforcing strips on the side, whats the best way to the rust from with in it?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:42:19 AM EDT
First off - buy nice ones. They're cheap. If they aren't good cans w/ good seals I'd use them for something other than storing ammo. If good, I just spray them w/ Rem Oil and wipe them out.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:47:07 AM EDT
you can make new seals for em with gasket maker
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:58:04 AM EDT
I get mine at Mike's Merchandise in Guntersville. They not only sell them but use them as bins for the screws/bolts, etc they sell. I saw them cleaning a pallet of cans with disposable shop cloths and WD40 from a gallon can.

I get the cleanest ones I can- gasket is the big thing, and I can mix and match from their stock to get the best combo. If they've been on display long there is generaly some gunk on them I remove with kerosene and shop cloths. If they need to be touched up in spots I spray with brake fluid, sand, prime and spot paint. I store my ammo in a closed garage until summer, when I bring it inside and dole it out all over the house. I don't have any one place that will hold all of it, and I'm running out of places to keep it in the summer.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:13:23 PM EDT
I used to sell them at gun shows, would pick them up from Bragg and other bases (bragg red dirt on them was bad). if it is a newer can wd40 will make them sparkle like new. I should know ive cleaned thousands of them.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:18:40 PM EDT
Awesome, thanks for the tips everyone!

I got some nice ones at a gun show last week, just refurbished. But I also had two lying around that were kind of nasty that I'd been meaning to clean out. I just didn't want to screw 'em up worse. Then again, they are GI and they've been through worse! They're designed to take abuse, right?!
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:11:17 PM EDT
Propwash.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:22:10 PM EDT
I was thinking about a bucket of steam perhaps?
Top Top