Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2006 8:08:25 AM EDT
when i was under aged and just becoming of age i was drinking alot more than i am now, im talking getting hammered every night with hard alcholhol and beer. now some 15 years or so later im just a weekend drinker, maybee an 18 pack or more. but ill slam a 6 pack in an hour just to get a nice buzz going. just wondering because i had a cousin die from liver cancer a while back and he never drank but he did BBQ probably 3 or 4 times a week. ive heard alcohol in moderation may even be good for fighting cancer.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:18:42 AM EDT
[#1]
an 18 pack over 2 days is probably not a doctor's idea of moderation, but I dont think it's enough to incur any life-threatening damage to your liver.  If you're worried, the herb milk thistle helps clean and protect the liver from damage from alcohol.  You can buy pills of it from health food stores.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:20:30 AM EDT
[#2]
From everything I have read, you are well into the unhealthy range. Some alcoholic beverages have modest beneficial health effects. However, I think you are well into the range where you pose enough risk to your liver and other organs to more than cancel out any positives. When they say "in moderation" they are talking one to two drinks per day, at most. Beyond that level, you can expect more health problems than you are preventing.

I could be wrong, but that's what I have read over the years.

ETA: One doctor I know who has studied the subject extensively says that underage drinking -- especially heavy drinking -- is one of the hallmark indicators for someone who will use some form of intoxicating drug heavily for the rest of their lives, and it is one of the biggest indicators of people who will wind up in the hospital due to alcohol.

Just FYI, some health authorities estimate that about 40 percent of all hospital care in the US is provided for conditions related to alcohol.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:22:11 AM EDT
[#3]
When you hear your liver make a noise like a live lobster dropped into a pot of boiling water, you are drinking too much.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:23:08 AM EDT
[#4]
everyone's gotta die sometime
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:25:56 AM EDT
[#5]
medical standpoint, impossible to answer that quesiton.

I forced my uncle to go to the ER one summer weekend (known alcoholic for over 30 years), I wanted him to become admitted to the Psych. Ward for suicidal thoughts and ideations.  

Well, I couldnt get him admitted, because he showed no signs of "physical abuse" after liver toxicology tests. So he would have to 'admit' himself, which didn't happen.

Amazing shit isn't? I should live until im 205 then if he can live as long as he has..
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:30:18 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
when i was under aged and just becoming of age i was drinking alot more than i am now, im talking getting hammered every night with hard alcholhol and beer. now some 15 years or so later im just a weekend drinker, maybee an 18 pack or more. but ill slam a 6 pack in an hour just to get a nice buzz going. just wondering because i had a cousin die from liver cancer a while back and he never drank but he did BBQ probably 3 or 4 times a week. ive heard alcohol in moderation may even be good for fighting cancer.

This question has been answered to a reasonable degree of medical certainty.  This will vary from person to person, but an average intake of 100 grams of ethanol per day for a 10 year period will lead to liver cirrhosis in a 154 lb. male.  You can figure out how many beers vs. wine vs. hard liquor that translates into.  As an example, if you take a 20 ounce bottle of vodka X 28 grams per ounce X 40% alcohol content, you get 224 grams of alcohol per 20 ounce bottle.  So you could drink 44% of a 20 ounce bottle of vodka a day and in 10 years fry your liver.

You can probably cut that amount by 20-25% for women since they metabolize alcohol at a significantly slower rate than men do because they have less alcohol dehydrogenase.  

There is a very broad variability in the susceptibility to cirrhosis of the liver.  Some people would require more, some less, YMMV.  

2 ounces a day of hard liquor, 2 beers or 2 glasses of wine is considered by most physicians to be beneficial.  Any more and it may lead to other problems such as high blood pressure, etc.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:30:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Review this: www.upmclivercancercenter.com/Information/Alcohol.asp?section=Information

Alcoholic hepatitis is sometimes found even in "social" drinkers. I think you are beyond what they would consider a typical "social drinker" (one to two drinks per day).
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:42:07 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
an 18 pack over 2 days is probably not a doctor's idea of moderation, but I dont think it's enough to incur any life-threatening damage to your liver.  If you're worried, the herb milk thistle helps clean and protect the liver from damage from alcohol.  You can buy pills of it from health food stores.

Milk thistle has NOT been proven to help fatty liver disease.

Check into Tyler's liver detox factors or do a juice fast for a few day's.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:42:41 AM EDT
[#9]
You would be a lot better off drinking 2 a day  and then maybe 3 on the weekend nights. Drinking it all at once is not only hard on the liver but probably on other organs as well.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:44:14 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Milk thistle has NOT been proven to help fatty liver disease.

Check into Tyler's liver detox factors or do a juice fast for a few day's.

Something tells me that this level of alcohol consumption is going to require a lot of milk thistle and juice, even assuming they work. Personally, I wouldn't count on either one at that level of intake.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:48:15 AM EDT
[#11]
It depends on your genetics.

Also a bigger concern is Pancreatitis, which is significantly easier to get, although less fatal by far then cirrosis.

If in doubt lay off the alcohol for a month or two, and then gradually reintroduce yourself to it in moderation. Actually taking a month or two dry every year is a real wise method to avoid serious alcoholism (Hint if you cant physically take one month without alcohol you know your an alchie and check yourself in for a detox program).
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:51:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Man, I would say that is some pretty heavy-duty alcohol consumption.  I would check it out with a doc, because liver damage is irreversible.  I don't think this would affect you in the short-term, but long term?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:09:24 AM EDT
[#13]
That is definitely overdrinking.  Why would you do that to yourself?  That is basically living your life under the influence, and it is certainly not good for your liver or any other part of your body.

18 beers is equivelant to 27 ounces of hard 80p liquor.  Perhaps you should go to an AA meeting?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:34:10 AM EDT
[#14]
you guys really think i have a problem drinking 14-18 beers on the weekends only. i dont touch the stuff during the week, it seems to keep me up at nights during the workweek. i know i dont he a problem, you havave a problem when you wake up in the morning and pop one. last night i slammed 6 today ill probably drink another 5 or 6 before halftime of the first game and then maybee another 4 or so for the second game then im probably done for the weekend.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:41:40 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
18 beers is equivelant to 27 ounces of hard 80p liquor.

What's the math behind this?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:43:24 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
you guys really think i have a problem drinking 14-18 beers on the weekends only. i dont touch the stuff during the week, it seems to keep me up at nights during the workweek. i know i dont he a problem, you havave a problem when you wake up in the morning and pop one. last night i slammed 6 today ill probably drink another 5 or 6 before halftime of the first game and then maybee another 4 or so for the second game then im probably done for the weekend.

have a nice life. if you are already planning on where and how many you are going to drink, you do have a problem. Get checked into a program and get fixed.

You know what a weekend alcoholic is? They are still alcoholics.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:45:44 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
18 beers is equivelant to 27 ounces of hard 80p liquor.

What's the math behind this?

27 oz of 80 proof = 319.5 ml ethanol

18 beers (assuming 5% alcohol) = 319.5 ml alcohol
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:47:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Those last 10 years or so suck anyway.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:58:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Fuck.  I drink a six pack about every other day, at least 2 bottles of wine a week and at most 2 shots a week.  Does that make me an alcoholic or someone who prefers a sterile beverage?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:01:49 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
you guys really think i have a problem drinking 14-18 beers on the weekends only.

Nope.  Not me.

Don't listen to the girliemen - but if you are worried, cut down to 12 beers per weekend.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:02:29 AM EDT
[#21]
according to this thread, I died several years ago.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:06:20 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Fuck.  I drink a six pack about every other day, at least 2 bottles of wine a week and at most 2 shots a week.  Does that make me an alcoholic or someone who prefers a sterile beverage?

You're only an alcoholic if you go to the meetings
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:08:53 AM EDT
[#23]
More than I drink, cause mine still works I think.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:11:38 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

HaHa. I dont drink at all anymore but the 1st year and a half of undergrad I was a serious binge drinker. I would average about a case a night, 2x a week.  I had a lot of fun but sure as hell dont miss it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:12:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Oh ya, I drink an average of a 12 pack daily, and still do PT in the mornings just fine.  Im not an alcoholic, I just have a well built nurturing tolerance.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:19:27 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

HaHa. I dont drink at all anymore but the 1st year and a half of undergrad I was a serious binge drinker. I would average about a case a night, 2x a week.  I had a lot of fun but sure as hell dont miss it.

I drink a Tx 5th every 3 days...
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:24:19 AM EDT
[#27]
My liver is going on a pension after I get done with this tour in Korea

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:28:09 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

If "problem" means "something that interferes with your life", that's up to you. I would spend all day passed out next to the toilet if I tried to do half that, but that's just me. YMMV.

If "problem" means "likely to have bad health effects in the average person", then yes.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:29:54 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I did a year in Korea. The most disagreeable part that I remember was the rampant and really abusive drinking on the post.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:54:07 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I did a year in Korea. The most disagreeable part that I remember was the rampant and really abusive drinking on the post.

Thats the best part of Korea, besides the russian chicks.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:15:51 AM EDT
[#31]
me lose brain? uh oh...
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 1:31:17 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

liver cancer does'nt necessiariy have anything to do with drinking. Now Cirrhosis or liver disease has a lot to do with drinking. And I would say that your drinking isn't considered in moderation. The best thing to do would be to stop altogether. Good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top