Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2006 7:14:41 AM EDT
I have an old 4D Mag-Light that was given to me by a Border Patrolman friend of mine over 20yrs. ago, I guess you could say I have a 'sentimental' attachment to this flashlight.

I need a new lens and a new reflector would be nice too, I went to Wal-Mart and they have new Mag-lights for around $20 bucks but no parts other than bulbs. Does anyone know where I can find what I need for less than it would cost to buy a new one???

Btw, while I was there I noticed that the new 4D Mag-Light is slimmer than my old Mag-Light, I varified this by checking out a neighbor's who got a new one for Christmas, the new ones are definately skinnier, this makes me want to rebuild my old one that much more as it would probably hold up better while making that 'famous' sound that is forbidden to use here on Arfcom....

Any ideas are greatly appreciated!!!.....
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:18:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Never seen replacement parts for sale in the stores.  Obvious answer would be to contact Mag-Light directly or buy a new light and use it for parts.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:19:07 AM EDT
[#2]
best bet would be to buy a new one and rape it for parts
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:20:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd retire it and put in on display on a shelf.

Gawd knows they suck for illumination.....
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:25:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd get the spare parts from Surefire.  You could replace the broken parts with this:

Or, contact Maglight for a repair center:
www.maglite.com/repaircenters.asp
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:28:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:29:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I would contact the mfg'r on this.  Buying a newing and expecting the parts to interchange between the old and the new is not a good idea, since products do change over the years.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:30:15 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'd retire it and put in on display on a shelf.

Gawd knows they suck for illumination.....

Yeah, granted they may not be as bright as a Surefire, but it sure delivers one hell of a painfull wallup upside the head!!!  Can your Surefire say T**k???...
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:31:58 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
www.maglite.com/spareparts.asp

There ya go.

Thanks for the link I'll chech them out, hopefully it will be less than the price of a new one when the shipping is tossed in...
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:33:13 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There ya go.

Thanks for the link I'll chech them out, hopefully it will be less than the price of a new one when the shipping is tossed in...

I have bought stuff from them several times.

I think the stuff you want they will send for free.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:43:26 AM EDT
[#10]
I agree: don't send it to Mag-Lite as they'll just keep it and send you a "new" one, thinking that's what you want. Lots of different companies tend to do this. They don't "repair" as it's not worth the time, they replace-with-refurb.

I'd email Mag-Lite and ask them about ordering parts and if they'll interchange.
~
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:46:25 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There ya go.

Well I checked the site and they don't list the prices for the parts how in the hell is someone supposed to know what it will cost???...
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:52:08 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There ya go.

Well I checked the site and they don't list the prices for the parts how in the hell is someone supposed to know what it will cost???...

Call them up on their 800 number on monday, and report back to ARFCOM what happens.  I called them up to complained about a problem with one of their flashlights, and it was resolved very efficiently.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:53:39 AM EDT
[#13]
I always called them and ordered over the phone.

It's been several years......but they were always cool to deal with.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:25:04 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I always called them and ordered over the phone.

It's been several years......but they were always cool to deal with.

Yeah, this is what I'm going to do. As for the differences I checked their spec sheet, and it lists the specs as being the same as far as length, width, and weight of the 'barrel', but for some reason the barrel used in the 4D light  without a D in the serial no. (older version) is no longer available.

whereas the the 'new' version is available!!!  There is an obvious difference, I wonder what gives?? Pre-ban T**k light or LEO version maybe??? Maybe the newer one is more politcally correct and doesn't make that 'special' sound or something??....

I'll update after I talk to Mag-lite....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top