Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2006 9:36:06 PM EDT
my cable modem service sucks ass right now, gettng fed up.  I dropped my landline 4 years ago and have a cell phone only.   Entertaining alternatives to cable modem, DSL is slower but if it's more reliable I'll go for it.  I refuse to get a landline for telephone just to get DSL though.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:40:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag....as I wondered about that too, I have 2 cell phones, and no need for a land line, and DTV internet's getting too expensive for me.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:41:49 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
my cable modem service sucks ass right now, gettng fed up.  I dropped my landline 4 years ago and have a cell phone only.   Entertaining alternatives to cable modem, DSL is slower but if it's more reliable I'll go for it.  I refuse to get a landline for telephone just to get DSL though.

I would also like to know.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:49:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Most of the Bells won't  offer 'naked DSL' which is DSL minus the POTS (plain old telephone service) line.  A few do but I don't know which ones of the top of my head.  You can sometimes really reduce the cost of the telephone service by insisting on a "Measured Business Line".  That's a line that is charged by time usage with a pretty low monthly fee.  Since you won't be placing any calls on it, it won't matter. That's the best you can do if they won't sell naked DSL.  

ETA:  Unless I'm mistaken, ADSL the most common type (like 1Mbps/384Kbps) must be delivered over a live phone line.  I think that type can't be stripped from the POTS service.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:55:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Most of the Bells won't  offer 'naked DSL' which is DSL minus the POTS (plain old telephone service) line.  A few do but I don't know which ones of the top of my head.  You can sometimes really reduce the cost of the telephone service by insisting on a "Measured Business Line".  That's a line that is charged by time usage with a pretty low monthly fee.  Since you won't be placing any calls on it, it won't matter. That's the best you can do if they won't sell naked DSL.  

I remember reading somewhere, maybe it was DSL Reports, that you can order DSL with POTS and then use that telephone number for a new cell phone.  You lose the Dial Tone but you still have the DSL which is now naked.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:55:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I wish. We have cell phones and don't use are land line, everyone is long distance. Our basic service is like $40 just so I can have Internet running through it. If it were possible I would drop Sprint like a hot potato.

Roadrunner cable stops about 2 miles down the road from me. I have begged them for over 2 years to run it down my road so I could have cable and RR high speed. They finally agreed to do it, if I gave them $8,000. Yea right.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:54:28 PM EDT
[#6]
www.speakeasy.net/ offers it.

We have it at my office.  Always fun when the phone lines in the building are being worked on and some choad cuts our feed to use it for someone else's line since he didn't hear a dial tone on it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:21:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Qwest offers it in certain areas.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:05:37 AM EDT
[#8]
It's coming.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:40:41 AM EDT
[#9]
I do not think it's available with Verizon. We're so short on copper cable pairs anyway we couldn't give it to you.

TXU is about to break out high speed service that works over the power lines here in Texas. If this works out you may soon have another option.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:49:08 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
www.speakeasy.net/ offers it.

We have it at my office.  Always fun when the phone lines in the building are being worked on and some choad cuts our feed to use it for someone else's line since he didn't hear a dial tone on it.

checked them, their upload and download speeds max is 1.5mbps , Bell south has Fast Access DSL but looks like they require a landline, Fast Access advertised max 6mpbs download
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:46:54 AM EDT
[#11]
I've heard 'rumors' that Verizon will sell you Dry DSL service, but you have to call them and ask for it. Its not available off their website, and I don't know what the price is, but it may be worth a quick phone call to them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top