tag
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:43:31 PM EDT
[#2]
That kicks ass! Thank you sir!!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:27:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
That kicks ass! Thank you sir!!

no problem.  I am just trying to share some stuff.  I have learned SO freaking much from this place.... i feel the need to give back... as much as i can.

OH BTW..... UPDATE!!!!

If you look at the design of the 2c cell Maglite... you will notice there IS enough room for a 4th battery.  If the tail spring is removed, and the "extra battery foam" removed, and the annodizing scraped off... you can fit a fourth battery in the 2c light.  (you could also just get a 3C mag as well)

BUT!!!!  then you would have a 12 volt system... and I can't really think of an easy to find LIGHT BULB to run with 12 volts.  They DO exist.... but the point of the 2C cell, 3x123a mag is EASE of construction using parts that you can find in any hardware store.  Once you start gettin into exotic bulbs, and custom machining.... some people don't see the benefit.... (i am one of them).

Granted, anyone that runs a surefire light... needs to stock their own replacement Lamp Assemblies, cause you can't run down to the 7-11 & ask, "excuse me... do you have the MN20 LA for my Surefire M6?"

This is a very easy mod.  There are many more complex mag mods out there.... ONE of them will give you 2,000 lumens... out of a 2D maglite.

have a good one.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:34:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
BUT!!!!  then you would have a 12 volt system... and I can't really think of an easy to find LIGHT BULB to run with 12 volts.  They DO exist.... but the point of the 2C cell, 3x123a mag is EASE of construction using parts that you can find in any hardware store.  Once you start gettin into exotic bulbs, and custom machining.... some people don't see the benefit.... (i am one of them).

i just got back from home depot...  they didn't have any 6 cell bulbs, but they did have dewalt and some other brand of bulbs that were up there in the voltage range.  i almost got a couple of their 9.6 volt bulbs, but i decided that i can just run to walmart on my next day off and get some 6 cell bulbs.  i just got some 4 cell bulbs for now, but they're made for 6 volts, so i'm not sure how long it'll take for 3 cr123's to burn them out...

btw, i should have 2 of these lights made in about half an hour or so
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:47:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i just got back from home depot...  they didn't have any 6 cell bulbs, but they did have dewalt and some other brand of bulbs that were up there in the voltage range.  i almost got a couple of their 9.6 volt bulbs, but i decided that i can just run to walmart on my next day off and get some 6 cell bulbs.  i just got some 4 cell bulbs for now, but they're made for 6 volts, so i'm not sure how long it'll take for 3 cr123's to burn them out...

btw, i should have 2 of these lights made in about half an hour or so

oh.  this is no problem.  if you go to Radio Shack... you can buy the KPR118.  it is a 7.2V, 600ma bulb.   Link to Radio shack kpr118

also... i have not had any problem running a 5 Cell mag bulb in mine.  it is a little brighter, and a little whiter as well.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:51:33 PM EDT
[#6]
okay, i got one of em' made...  it took less then a secobd to burn out the two cell bulb that came with the light...  and it took about one second to burn out a 4 cell bulb  i need to get some better bulbs.  maybe i'll go shopping before work tommorow.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:09:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
okay, i got one of em' made...  it took less then a secobd to burn out the two cell bulb that came with the light...  and it took about one second to burn out a 4 cell bulb  i need to get some better bulbs.  maybe i'll go shopping before work tommorow.

hummm....  9 volts to a 4.8V bulb = BOOM...... 9 volts to a 6.0 volt bulb = running fine.

weird.  I am over volting my bulb by 50% and it isnt blowing.

i think something might be wrong with my maglite, like some type of internal resistance problem.  or possibly i am having problems with the battery station.com batteries i am using.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:07:38 PM EDT
[#8]
bringing this back from the dead...  i was able to get some more surefire batteries and some 6 cell bulbs today.  it took going to 5 different stores before i found out the the tractor supply store near my house had 9 volt bulbs

i now have two fully operational lithium maglites

thanks again for the idea!  i'll have to share this one
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:36:33 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
i now have two fully operational lithium maglitesBATTLE STATIONS

I see you have constructed a NEW light sabre.  

Oh.  BTW.  I am not fond of running 9V bulbs in this set up.  Heres why:  Incans become more efficient (brighter) when you overdrive them.  There is a small cost of overall bulb life... but who has actually burnt a bulb out, as opposed to breaking it?  Secondly, when you underdrive an incan, you lose a LOT of lumens, because they become much less efficient when they are under driven.

When you use a 6 cell bulb, (7.2V), the light puts out more lumens, and a whiter light.  The easy trick to remember the voltage of "regular" (read: non-surefire), incan bulbs is:  Number of batteries it was designed to work with TIMES 1.2  ... this will give you the voltage of the bulb.

Even though alkaline batteries say they are 1.5 volts, they drop to around 1.2 when a current load is placed upon them.   There is also a drop in volatage as the batteries die.

So, a 6 cell maglite really isn't 9 volts, it is closer to 7.2.  So when you put the 7.2 volt bulb on top of three, 3 volt batteries... you will overdrive it, & put out more lumens.  Using a bulb designed for 9 volts, will give you less light output.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:43:35 AM EDT
[#10]

Tag-a-roo.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:25:12 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

So, a 6 cell maglite really isn't 9 volts, it is closer to 7.2.  So when you put the 7.2 volt bulb on top of three, 3 volt batteries... you will overdrive it, & put out more lumens.  Using a bulb designed for 9 volts, will give you less light output.

ok, i had assumed that a 6 cell bulb was 9 volts.  i'm using 6 cell bulbs right now, and they have a prety good output - about the same, if not slightly more then my 6p.  if i can find some 5 cell bulbs, i'd like to give them a try as well.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:25:55 AM EDT
[#12]
tag
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:55:17 PM EDT
[#13]
bump
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:07:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:19:52 PM EDT
[#15]
tag
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:50:24 PM EDT
[#16]
very nice... tag
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:40:39 AM EDT
[#17]
tag
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top