Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/13/2006 10:47:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/3/2006 11:43:20 AM EDT by 1Andy2]
I had an awesome idea for some AR handguards... so I need pics from all different angles of the forward grip of a tommy gun.

If anyone could hook me up I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:55:38 AM EDT
Sorry. I have the M1 Thompson SMG, not a 1928.

Make a post over at www.machinegunbooks.com under the Thompson machine gun page. There are a lot of orginal Colt/Thompson owners, and they will love to help you out.

Or another idea check out SARCO or Numrich Gun Parts. And buy a Thompson forward grip. The grips are pretty cheap $25 to 35 bucks.

Keep us posted on your new idea for handguards.

Chris
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:56:35 AM EDT
tag
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:07:13 PM EDT
This is an actual NFA registered working firearm.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:12:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Lon_Moer:

craftsmanshipmuseum.com/images/KucerThompson2.jpg

Cats Ass!!!

22short?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:40:09 PM EDT
I'd like to see someone come up with a 1/2 size M-16A1 that chambers .17 HMR.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:49:24 PM EDT

WTF?

More info, now please.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:47:38 AM EDT

The handguards and foregrip are both branchwood from mesquite. Finish is watco's danish oil, then a 5 to 1 mixture of miniwax colonial maple and miniwax red oak.

Waddya think?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:51:43 AM EDT
Not my kinda thing. But the workmanship looks really good.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:52:22 AM EDT
I wonder how that wooden forend will hold up when the barrel gets hot. Will it start smoking like an AK?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:54:27 AM EDT
Holy shit, thats nice.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:54:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By motown_steve:
I wonder how that wooden forend will hold up when the barrel gets hot. Will it start smoking like an AK?

A little, but only after bumping off three 30 rounders and a 20 rounder back to back.

At least it smells like bbq!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:57:08 AM EDT
WOW!! I wasn't expecting workmanship of that quality...I'm impressed
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:58:07 AM EDT
20% less evil!

I kinda like it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:58:35 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SirDrinksAlot:
Holy shit, thats nice.

+1

Great work.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:00:10 PM EDT
that's absolutely beautiful. I've always wanted a wood finished AR. that just inspired me more.

did you do all the wood work yourself?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:00:23 PM EDT
Looks great, but how does it group?

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:02:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Napoleon_Tanerite:
that's absolutely beautiful. I've always wanted a wood finished AR.

It would only look right if the wood was ebony.

Keep black rifles black.

(although I REALLY like the looks of the yellow (DeWalt) one I saw in a photo)

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:03:09 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mjohn3006:

Cats Ass!!!

22short?

+1
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:07:43 PM EDT
Tag
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:17:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Napoleon_Tanerite:
that's absolutely beautiful. I've always wanted a wood finished AR. that just inspired me more.

did you do all the wood work yourself?

Thanks! Yep. You can probably do a search of my posts in the biy forum for a few threads with more pics.

Groups... well they all hit a paper plate at 80 yards, anyways. Thats from the standing position, not on a rest.

Actually, I've thought about doing an ebony set, but at 80 dollars/ board foot, I think I'd better practice with mesquite a few more times first.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:18:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/3/2006 12:18:58 PM EDT by CitySlicker]
I would kill to see the look on Pat Rogers' face if that showed up in one of his classes.

Nice workmanship though.

ETA: to avoid any hard fellings.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:20:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By fadedsun:

WTF?

More info, now please.

David Kucer

More...

Some incredible craftsmanship, but I don't see anything that suggests that these actually fire live ammunition.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:26:33 PM EDT
1Andy2, that is a great example of craftsmanship.

Well done.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:27:59 PM EDT

I would kill to see the look on Pat Rogers' face if that showed up in one of his classes.

After attending several of his class, he will ignore the existance, and give a lecture of butchered weapon and useless accessory for real operators.

When the item fails, the story will never end, and the story will be remembered and pass on to the next class, forum, and might show up in SWAT magazine, but the student name remains unknown.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:29:31 PM EDT
different is good.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:30:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Old_Painless:
1Andy2, that is a great example of craftsmanship.

Well done.

What he said !
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:36:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By leungken:

After attending several of his class, he will ignore the existance, and give a lecture of butchered weapon and useless accessory for real operators.

When the item fails, the story will never end, and the story will be remembered and pass on to the next class, forum, and might show up in SWAT magazine, but the student name remains unknown.

This may come as a shock, but I didn't build it to aid in handling whilst cutting down hordes of infidels or godless communists.

I made it (1) for my own personal enjoyment. (2) As a learning experience. (3) For aesthetics.
(4) For uniqueness.

oh, and (5) for showing off on arfcom.

Eh, I think I'm going to start a rumor now that mesquite can stop most rifle rounds if the bullet strikes the end grain. Reason being that the fibers slow the bullet down without shattering the wood...
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:02:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 1Andy2:

Originally Posted By leungken:

This may come as a shock, but I didn't build it to aid in handling whilst cutting down hordes of infidels or godless communists.

I made it (1) for my own personal enjoyment. (2) As a learning experience. (3) For aesthetics.
(4) For uniqueness.

oh, and (5) for showing off on arfcom.

Eh, I think I'm going to start a rumor now that mesquite can stop most rifle rounds if the bullet strikes the end grain. Reason being that the fibers slow the bullet down without shattering the wood...

Dude that is very unique...and IMO, very cool looking.... you have a TommAR gun.

I can appreciate the wanting a unique gun...I'm not uber-tactical, don't use my ARs for my job, and it's nice to have something others don't. The AR platform has too much customizability. Maybe that's why so many people paint their ARs instead of adding things to them.
I say great job!

No Expert
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:11:43 PM EDT
Looks great.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:16:27 PM EDT
awesome.

put a mag in it, would like to see that.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:19:45 PM EDT
Damn, you could make some serious cash selling those...
I'd buy some!!!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:23:16 PM EDT
I like it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:25:48 PM EDT
That looks "questionable". If you were a Computer Guy, in Oregon, they might take that from you and give you a receipt so they can check it out back at the station......
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:40:28 PM EDT
I saw a variant of this idea. The AR15 was a flat top with a BUIS and a flip up front site, along with the Thompson type grips.

It looked a lot like the Thompson. You needed to take a second look to realize it wasn't.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:46:57 PM EDT
Very nice work!
Cool to see something "different" on an AR
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:56:30 PM EDT
That is really beautiful work. You did a great job on this. I would love to see those parts on a nickel plated AR! (like that one in the chameleon weapons pictures)

Really really nice work! Enjoy
Top Top