Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2006 9:40:36 AM EDT
Ok, so unfortunately in my small town, Walmart is one of the only options for many purchases.  Seems like I am in there every day. Its a small walmart but they are building a huge one to open this summer.

Anyway, since I have to go in so often, I usually wander back to the movies section to see whats New out.  Tuesday I went back there and they had LORD OF WAR with nicholas cage. Yeah I know some of you didn't like it but I thought about picking it up but didn't.

Anyway, fast forward to last nite at the video rental store looking at the list of whats out and coming out and it shows LORD OF WAR coming out next tuesday.  So I mentioned it to the rental dude and he says, man they can get fined for that.  They have broke street date.  Looking at the walmart website it shows it being out next week.

So should I report wallyworld and who too? I thought about going ahead and buying in so the receipt proves it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:41:21 AM EDT
[#1]
rules are rules
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:42:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I got the extended Two Towers 2 days early from Sams Club.  I said to the guy stocking the shelf that it was not supposed to be out yet.  He responded...uh...no...I think it's out.

I just said okay and bought my copy.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:43:17 AM EDT
[#3]
you might just mention it to the store manager.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:47:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, just remember that after you report it, you may be -1 ammo supplier.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:48:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Walmarts scanners might catch it and not allow you to buy it.

I went in at 7am one morning (business member)  a past Harry Potter book appeared a couple of days early at my local Sam's club, the scanner popped up with a embargoed message until the correct selling date.

You should have seen the Sam's people scurrying to pull the pallet of books.

I didn't even get to read one word before my copy was yanked.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:49:03 AM EDT
[#6]
When I was in high school, I used to work for KMart.  I bought everything I really wanted (mostly video games) about a week before it hit the street.  It was one of the few perks of a dead-end job.

-James
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:49:16 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

So should I report wallyworld and who too? I thought about going ahead and buying in so the receipt proves it.

Go ahead. I'm sure movie companies, already hurting from shitty box office receipts, are going to piss off the largest retailer in the world. It would be a sure boost to their sales.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:49:47 AM EDT
[#8]
I wouldn't. It is a stupid industry rule. Why not just stock the titles as soon as they come in?

We got our Amazon "Wedding Crashers" delivered a couple days before the official release date.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:50:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Blackmail 'em for a few boxes of ammo.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:04:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:10:44 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Go ahead and report them, so your local Walmart gets fined and raises their prices to make up for it.

That way everybody in your small town will benefit from paying higher prices for the convenience of shopping at a store with so many purchase options and little competition.

And since you seem to be in there every day, you'll get a greater benefit.

Seriously,

I guess the fact that walmart dictates whatever it wants to whoever it wants and kills off mom and pop stores right and left is lost on you.  In other words, "we don't have to play by the rules everyone else does" and here is a good example of that.

for others
FWIW, I can get ammo at centerfire just about as cheap as this walmart.  They are so small and bad that they haven't even restocked on the remington 223 I bought them out of in November ( I bought 3 boxes of 20 rounds BTW).
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:14:53 AM EDT
[#12]
I LOVE CAPITALISM!!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:17:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Actually, some palces get agreements with the movie people to release things early..... There not hurting anything, leave em alone... A few Wal-Marts around here do this once in awhile....And years ago at the one i worked at.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:21:40 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I guess the fact that walmart dictates whatever it wants to whoever it wants and kills off mom and pop stores right and left is lost on you.  In other words, "we don't have to play by the rules everyone else does" and here is a good example of that.

Hard for something that is not a fact to be lost on someone.  That worn out bullshit has been disproven many times over.

Besides, mom and pop need to get more variety and lower their insane prices.  Also, Walmart creates more jobs for the area than all the mom and pops put together.

Have you ever tried to find something at the mom and pops?  They usually have a very small selection of a very few items.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:37:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:39:15 AM EDT
[#16]
fucking Burn Wal-Mart!
~Dg84
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:02:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Actually I do shop at mom and pops first...however, if you re-read my first message that there is little choice to buy from, things like electronics equipment, etc. can't be found in my burg.

I know from a fact that mom and pops have been closed many times because they lack large amounts of capital, ability to diversify, etc.  Anyway, they usually cost more because they don't have 6 zillion stores to carry them.  Not a problem. I have a store and walmart sells some things for less than I can buy them for (we only overlap a little in product) and thats because A) they buy in volume and B) they often dictate what they will pay to buy something.

I am sure those employees who have a lawsuit against wallyworld are thrilled to be treated that way.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:36:32 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Actually I do shop at mom and pops first...however, if you re-read my first message that there is little choice to buy from, things like electronics equipment, etc. can't be found in my burg.

I know from a fact that mom and pops have been closed many times because they lack large amounts of capital, ability to diversify, etc.  Anyway, they usually cost more because they don't have 6 zillion stores to carry them.  Not a problem. I have a store and walmart sells some things for less than I can buy them for (we only overlap a little in product) and thats because A) they buy in volume and B) they often dictate what they will pay to buy something.

I am sure those employees who have a lawsuit against wallyworld are thrilled to be treated that way.

Yeah, capitalism sucks, walmart is the devil, and all the other hater bullshit.  Just don't shop there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top