Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/13/2006 8:30:34 AM EDT
...........this was the response i got from a co-worker regarding Alito's stance on machine guns....
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:32:09 AM EDT
[#1]
And your answer was..............?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:32:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:34:07 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Because we can

While it seems like a valid answer to the rest of the board, it doesn't ring home for the rest of the country. I've been looking for a good answer for a long time.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:34:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Why not?  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:34:25 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Because we can

EXACTLY...

ETA...basically i explained to him that it was legal in the state of SC to legally own Class III weapons, he then went on to say there was no practical use...etc..etc...
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:35:02 AM EDT
[#6]
To shoot stuff with...

To convert money into fire, noise, and smoke.

Why not.

Because the voices in my head tell me I do.

To keep you off my lawn.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:35:36 AM EDT
[#7]
What is Alito's stance on machine guns??
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:38:42 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Because we can

You need to go into more detail than that if you seriously intend to educate someone. Because if they DON'T believe that you "can" or "should be able to", than they'll make sure they'll pass the laws that ensure that you "can't". Don't act like you are preaching to the choir here at AR15. You'll come off as smart-alecky.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:39:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Because hunting rifles aren't necessarily protected by the Second Amendment.  Machine guns, however, are weaponry that is commonly utilized by the 'militia;' therefore ownership is guaranteed by the Bill of Rights.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:39:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:40:46 AM EDT
[#11]
The correct argument here is to explain that

(A) machine guns are a lot of fun.  Why would any American want a swimming pool?  A fast car?  A boat?  A trampoline?

(B) machine guns don't pose a real risk to the rest of society.  Compare, for example, the number of people (children!) who drown in their pools vs the number of people killed every year by machine guns.  Ask your co-worker how many people in America were killed by machine guns in 1985 (the year before the ban).  

If your coworker's response is "we should ban swimming pools (for the children)", then you can't really have a discussion with them.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:41:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Because they are a lot of fun to shoot. Also, why shouldn't I be allowed to own one?

libtard: "Because they are dangerous and you don't need one."
gobbledog: "Well, you don't need a giant SUV. They're difficult to drive, more prone rollovers,        eat much more gas and create more air pollution. You shouldn't be allowed to own one of those."

Plus, I have a constitutional right to own one. I don't see anything mentioned about SUV's.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:49:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Your co-worker is asking a rhetorical question. What they really mean is this:

"The only reason why I think anyone would want to own a machine gun is to shoot people, rob banks, break the law, etc."

What you need to make them realize is that they are stereotyping. Don't you just love the "consistencey" of the left? Ask them why anyone would want to own a sports car. Afterall, they're just for going fast, and speeding on public roads is breaking the law right? So we should only have cars that are capable of going no faster than 65mph.

It's a stupid argument because there are many people who buy sports cars and legally race them on tracks. Just like there are many people who own machine guns who shoot them at ranges. In both cases people do it because it's fun.

What this person really wants, is to regulate other people's beliefs. Make them believe like they do. They want to be able to tell you what you should or shouldn't think is fun. Like I said earlier, don't you just love the "consistency" of the left?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:49:40 AM EDT
[#14]
For the same reason an American want's to drive a Hummer or any other SUV on perfectly paved road in the USA.  This is a FREE country, & Americans can do anything they want as long as it's lawful.  

Think of how many things we as Americans have or do, that we don't need. From million dollar cars to cell phones that play music & take pictures, yeah they're cool things to have & enjoy, but they sure as heck ain't necessary.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:51:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Why would an American want a Corvette or Ferrari or Viper or...

Nevermind the fact that it's a free fucking country and our firearms rights are not supposed to be infringed on period.

Quoted:
Your co-worker is asking a rhetorical question. What they really mean is this:

"The only reason why I think anyone would want to own a machine gun is to shoot people, rob banks, break the law, etc."

+1

They will ask, "What are you going to do with that? What do you need that for? Guns are only for killing people." The ironic thing is most likely, though in not all cases, they will be pro abortion... abortions are only for killing babies.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:54:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Cuz they're cool, that's why!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:55:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Because I can
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:55:45 AM EDT
[#18]
That's like asking why Glocks explode.

The answer is, they just do.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:56:57 AM EDT
[#19]
sorry it's so long....

my response

Why does the average American need a Machine gun anyway?

why not, if the person is a responsible law abiding citizen, and has all rights granted to them by the U.S. Constitution, why can't he have the fun stuff. Why do you want the biggest ATV you can get. B/C dangit, thats your right to do so as an American. Why do you have a big 4X4 V8, b/c dangit, thats your right to do so as an American. Besides, what has stupid laws got us anyway, lots of red tape. They started with banning full auto toys...and every time they get a chance, your wonderful Dems vote to take away Hunting rifles. Just recently, Hiccup Kennedy voted to ban .30 cal ammo. Meaning, no 30.06, 30.30, 300 win mag, .308, etc....said they were "intermediate sniper rifles"....maybe he is worried about a terrorist attack on Bambi..who knows. Same thing with Semi Auto shotty's...they didn't want you to put more than 5 rounds in the tube..that actually was law during the cosmetic look alike ban...(assault weapons ban)...besides, if they can get away with more regulations against the 2nd amendment, are you sure they are gonna stop there, what about free speech, and freedom of religion. Certainly, there are a few people that should be banned from speaking, but hey, it's their right as an American.

his response
"A jacked up 4x4 is made to rip through
mud...and i can use it for its designed purpose.  A machine gun is made for
war, to spray bullets and kill enemies by the dozens......  Thinking of a
suvillian use is a real reach."
What does this have to do with if it a recreational vehicle or not?  You make my point.  The hypothetical 4x4 is a recreational vehicle, and will be used for it's intended purpose.  A machine gun was made for war and combat purposes, never designed for consumer applications.  Nobody i know of is gonna use it for any type of hunting or marksmanship hobbies.  

my next
you said it, no one you know.

there is a whole lot of people that consistently hold full auto shoots, competition, show's. Much like the Detroit auto show. Theres a whole lot more to it than YOU think.

his
No, i have common sense.   In case you didn't notice, even Scalia agrees.    I'm not downing your hobby, because i too own guns and shoot from time to time.   If the only person in the world who wanted an auto machine gun was responsible people(like Marcus) that would be cool.  But we live in a time where we have unfortunately so many unresponsible citizens that it makes this a pretty easy decision.  If there was a genuine useful purpose for these guns outside of military applications, then i could see it, but the ones mentioned are just as i said...stretches.       When pro gun activists argue such it weakens their stance with the very people they should be trying to convert.      I had an uncle one time, who said in a roundtable discussion (at a hunting club in conway no less) with 15-20 hunters about this very issue "why does anyone need a machine gun?"   Not a single person objected, everyone made comments along the same lines on how there was no real use for machine guns in the general population.   Most of these guys are card carrying NRA members who have been for 20 plus years.

my last

some of what you've said i agree with, but thats why there are regulations on who can own one, johnny two time convict is not allowed to legally purchase any type of firearm. State regulations on full auto are indeed more strict than on a semi. It's the same regulations that apply to what you've said you wanted. If i remember, you said you wanted a "silencer". Suppressors are legal in this state, however, you must follow all state guidelines and pass the background checks. If you can pass it, i have no reason to say you don't need one b/c there is no real practical use for you to have one.

arfcom
tell me if i'm saying anything wrong..

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:57:38 AM EDT
[#20]
I told someone we (SHEISLEGEND and I) were going to shoot a buddies full-auto the next day.  He asked if that was legal.  I told him there was a lot of paperwork and it was expensive but, yes, it was legal.
He asked why would anyone need a machinegun.
I said I wasn't sure but I also didn't know why anyone would need a Ferrari but I was thankful to live in a country where we could.  He agreed with that believe it or not.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:58:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:58:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Why does anyone need a 5500 sq ft home when they have no kids. I say we should pass legislation that allocates 600 sq ft per person, any home that exceeds that shall be assigned a annual excessive use of resources tax that will be used to build bigger homes for the living space deprived.

Likewise, who need a Lexus or a Corvette or a Kawasaki Ninja? I propose that we pass legislation that limits horsepower to preserve natural resources and reduce accidents. All motorcycles have a limit of 15 horsepower and all automobiles are limited to 60 horsepower. Anything above those ratings will be assessed a tax and insurance rates will be increased due to the danger of having such a powerful motor vehicle.

Lets see, I'm sure there are some  other things that folks have that I don't and they really don't need. Hmm, how about pets, nobody needs more than one, computers one is enough, oh why the fuck does your blind fucking ass need a 60" plasma TV? 21" should be good enough! And all you fuckers with your home theater systems, there are plenty of movie theaters, what do you need one at home for? How about a $3000 fucking bicycle, anything over a $120 Murry should be assessed a tax.  

ETA: Why do you need a boob job? If you weren't born deformed and you're just a vain bitch, we're gonna tax your tits.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:59:23 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Reply:  "Why would anyone want to have Gay sex?  It isn't like you can have a baby or anything?"

That might reach him.

Good one!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:59:52 AM EDT
[#24]
If Americans don't need them because there is no practical use, then why does the military have them?  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:00:23 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Because we can

EXACTLY...

ETA...basically i explained to him that it was legal in the state of SC to legally own Class III weapons, he then went on to say there was no practical use...etc..etc...

No practical use for a Ferrari either, yet cars kill the most americans every year.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:07:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Ted Nugent:  "...and I don't "need" a Corvette for going to the store for milk & bread."
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:08:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:10:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:11:07 AM EDT
[#29]
I want a machine gun because they provide and unlimited number of thrusts per squeeze.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:11:23 AM EDT
[#30]
New Orleans on September 2, 2005.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:13:37 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Reply:  "Why would anyone want to have Gay sex?  It isn't like you can have a baby or anything?"

That might reach him.

"Why would anyone want to have oral sex?  It isn't like you can have a baby or anything?"

That would be reach more people I think.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:14:59 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Because we can

While it seems like a valid answer to the rest of the board, it doesn't ring home for the rest of the country. I've been looking for a good answer for a long time.

The answer is quite simple....

The purpose of the 2nd Amendment is so that the general population can resist take over from a foreign invader or tyranical government.  At the time it was written the militaries of the world used the same weapons that were in common posession.  Being that militaries around the world now have machine guns, the population NEEDS to have them also as a purely defensive measure to protect our liberties.  When we become denied our rights to fully automatic firearms, then all of our other rights will follow.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:15:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Why would any American want a television set?  

I can't think of one single benefit to owning a television set.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:15:45 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm surprised nobody mentioned that we need machine guns to kill zombies!!!

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:16:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Why is it people are so obsesed with "need" when refereing to machine guns? or anything for that matter?

I hate the idea of NEED ONLY.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:17:49 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Because we can

EXACTLY...

There's also  no practical use for a sportscar, or a 52" bigscreen TV, or - beer.  

Try that logic.

We have these things SIMPLY BECAUSE WE ARE FREE.

CMOS
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:17:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:18:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Because one day the dead may walk the Earth and start biting people, and when that happens I want to be prepared to spray bullets in as many directions as possible, as fast as possible.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:18:52 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Why is it people are so obsesed with "need" when refereing to machine guns? or anything for that matter?

I hate the idea of NEED ONLY.

The question was "want", not "need"

But I do agree with you.  This is an instance where the words have become interchangeable.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:22:55 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
If Americans don't need them because there is no practical use, then why does the military have them?  

"Because the military is not practical!"
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:38:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:56:39 AM EDT
[#42]
I would have answered,  Why would any American feel compelled to ask such a question?

It's as ludicrous as asking why someone would want to scuba dive or snowboard down the side of a mountain or watch a sitcom on TV.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:58:58 AM EDT
[#43]
To make the cat dance
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:01:40 AM EDT
[#44]
More thrusts per squeeze?

and remember, you don't "need" two kidneys...so we're taking one of them....have a seat right over there.!!!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:05:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Why do was want a machine gun?  Well...imagine this...

Phut-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t!!!

For those liberals with no imagination, that's the sound of some fun with a MAC-10 with a nice big can attached!  

ETA:  At 1800rpm, the mag empties really fast!  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:09:35 AM EDT
[#46]
If they make it, I can have it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:12:07 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
They will ask, "What are you going to do with that? What do you need that for? Guns are only for killing people." The ironic thing is most likely, though in not all cases, they will be pro abortion... abortions are only for killing babies.

This IS the point. Guns are for killing people - the tyrannical governmental ones.  Your friend needs to understand how this puts a check on government. You can always tell something about a country by whether the guns are pointed from the government towards the people, or from the people towards the government.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:15:10 AM EDT
[#48]
cause they are fun..

and it is great stress relief..  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:16:36 AM EDT
[#49]
you give me a reason why the FBI can get away with killing a mother holding her child first
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:17:14 AM EDT
[#50]

i don't even like to get into those conversations. we all know what the real use (need) for one is, but people who ask these questions are usually too biggoted, or too myopic, to see and accept the truth.

if you try to explain that it's the most appropriate weapon for defending against "enemies foreign and domestic", they think you are a whack-job. hell, even people here do, and we're "gun people"...

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top