Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/13/2006 8:04:16 AM EDT
So I finally got my Cox HD cable service yesterday, but that's a whole different rant, anyway I'm watching a few HD channels then I come to the realization that HD sucks bad.

N­ow, all the regular channels look like shit. I'm stuck only being able to watch what's on HD.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:06:33 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:07:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 82ndAbn:
Wow. 3 rant threads in a row. I'd suggest you get a box of tissues but I'm afraid you'd start another thread bashing Kleenex.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:07:19 AM EDT

Wow. 3 rant threads in a row. I'd suggest you get a box of tissues but I'm afraid you'd start another thread bashing Kleenex.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:09:05 AM EDT
Is it 100% digital or are the regular channels still analog?
That's what I like about DirecTV
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:11:28 AM EDT

It's Friday, I'm on a fucking role.

Be patient, I might have a few more rants before the mornings over.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:12:02 AM EDT

Originally Posted By twonami:

Cox is still analog, at least on the lower tier... I have a 34" Wega and absolutely hate the upper Cox " digital" tier... So pixelized its pretty much unwatchable.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:14:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/13/2006 8:15:32 AM EDT by callgood]

Originally Posted By 89grand:
So I finally got my Cox HD cable service yesterday, but that's a whole different rant, anyway I'm watching a few HD channels then I come to the realization that HD sucks bad.

Now, all the regular channels look like shit. I'm stuck only being able to watch what's on HD.

What do the actors/commentators look like? I heard Katie Couric is concerned she might look haggish in HD.

Since she looks haggish on my regular set, I guess she should be.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:16:30 AM EDT
Watching sports on non-HD is painful now. Once you've seen the crystal clear images of an HD basketball game, it's hard to go back to watching blurry tall guys. When I switched to HD TV, it really wasn't that I thought HD looked so good, it was that everything else looked so crappy when I flipped back to it...
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:19:51 AM EDT

Originally Posted By callgood:

Now, all the regular channels look like shit. I'm stuck only being able to watch what's on HD.

What do the actors/commentators look like? I heard Katie Couric is concerned she might look haggish in HD.

Since she looks haggish on my regular set, I guess she should be.

It definetely looks really good. I came across the Conan O'Brien show and when people are shown in HD, it looks almost like you're sitting there, if there is any real flaws like even a zit, you'll see it. I have the coax cable connected as well so I can change inputs on the TV and compare HD to non and there is no comparison at all and I'm not even using a high end HD TV, I only have a 52" rear projection RCA.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:47:18 AM EDT
Sheesh! This is like complaining that blowjobs have ruined your relationship with your right (left for southwpaws) hand.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:50:12 AM EDT

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:52:02 AM EDT
I dont see a big difference, but Im halfblind
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:04:59 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Mute:
Sheesh! This is like complaining that blowjobs have ruined your relationship with your right (left for southwpaws) hand.

Not really complaining, HD looks great, but it's now made every other channels almost unwatchable.

It certainly could be worse, all channels could look like shit.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:20:31 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Mute:

Not really complaining, HD looks great, but it's now made every other channels almost unwatchable.

It certainly could be worse, all channels could look like shit.

+1, Think I'll wait a bit before switching to HD. My Mitsubishi Diamond TV looks fine to me.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:23:31 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Taxman:

You probably have hairy palms too.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:26:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Taxman:

Is that why you're squinting in the ammo fort pic?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:28:35 PM EDT
HDTV rocks, maybe you have ED, I mean EDTV
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:34:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By armoredsaint:

No, I have HDTV, the problem is it's so good it makes all other non-HD channels nearly unwatchable.

It's a double edged sword.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:50:07 PM EDT
Is it just that SDTV suffers by comparison or is your HDTV not displaying SDTV well?

Most of the fixed pixel type HDTVs don't have very good picture quality when displaying regular TV.

May also be a different connection will make a big difference, often the TVs comb filter and/or conversion circuitry or the receivers will be noticably better than the other, try S-video or RCA on a seperate input for regular definition and see what happens.

Another issue is the appropriate viewing distance for HD is less than half that of SD on the same set, so unless you're moving the couch back and forth it causes problems (I like my sectional for this reason.)

And then there's the fact that the cable and satellite companies utilize so much compression if you have a clear picture you see artifacts really bad, especially on a big screen.

All of these issues are why I decided on a 30" Widescreen CRT HDTV that cost under $400.

Best of all worlds for me, get excellent picture quality from all sources, and can display 1080i or 480p native resolutions, which is pretty cool because SDTV actually looks better on my set than a comparable SDTV.(no flicker)
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:53:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By twonami:

thats what makes dtv suck.. u need a box on every tv, or no pic. and u pay for each box..

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:56:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By armoredsaint:

No, I have HDTV, the problem is it's so good it makes all other non-HD channels nearly unwatchable.

It's a double edged sword.

+1, wait until you see South Park on WB in HD. As much as you think cartoons won't have much of a difference, it looks so much better
Top Top