Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:24:34 PM EDT
[#1]
How far does radar/laser effectively work?
I often see OSHP in the median on 70, where I routinely go 70-75 in 65mph zone.  However, I watch out for them very well and usually slow down by the time I am anywhere near them (not to mention all the traffic in front of me).  

Is it hard to lase (?) a car at 200 yards?  I suspect it is possible.

Let's assume I'm the only car on the road. How far will radar work?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:31:56 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Reflex action. By the time they see the marked unit, its too late anyways, if they are going to be stopped.

Yeah if they're speeding I can see it being a natural reaction to hit your brakes, but everybody does it including those chronic speedlimit or less drivers.

I don't do it, and I figure if the cop wants me he already has me (I have never used any type of detector). Saying that, when I'm in Ohio, and on 4 wheels, I rarely speed. In Michigan, it is go time. I was going 85 on 275 one time and chick cop just went by at 90 or so, not on a run, but just out cruising. I think you have to be doing the ton up in Detroit to get pulled over, then again I was doing the ton during rush hour one day, and I wasn't the only one...
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:36:43 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
People slow down because they know police are pressured to meet their ticket quotas and will give tickets if they have a chance.

YOU may not be speeding, but if others are driving slower than you, the cop will think you're speeding and can give you shit. This happened to my brother. Of course the cop knew he didn't have anything on him, so he just threw his power around for a minute, told he was on his way to a call, and that the next time he would give a ticket.

I notice that in my town the police purposely drive under the limit. I do the same when I see one around for the reason above. Easier to do that then let the cop get a hard on and waste my time for nothing.

What I really hate is when idiots stop in the middle of the road as soon as they hear a siren. I guess they don't know the reason for the siren is to alert people to get the fuck out of the way, not make it harder and more dangerous for the emergency vehicle to get past other cars.

I knew someone from California was going to justify this retarded behavior.

Driving Living in your state sucks donkey dick.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:37:49 PM EDT
[#4]
This is the biggest reason why speed limits are BS. Unreasonably low speed limits especially. They cause more accidents then they prevent and should be abolished. Why else did montana car death rate go DOWN when they entacted the 'reasonable and prudent' speed limits. They were even lower for the short time there was 'no speed limit period' when the SC ruled that reasonable and prudent was unconstitutionally vague. Since speed limits were reinstated they have gone back up...

It is all about flow control.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:38:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
People slow down because they know police are pressured to meet their ticket quotas and will give tickets if they have a chance.

YOU may not be speeding, but if others are driving slower than you, the cop will think you're speeding and can give you shit. This happened to my brother. Of course the cop knew he didn't have anything on him, so he just threw his power around for a minute, told he was on his way to a call, and that the next time he would give a ticket.

I notice that in my town the police purposely drive under the limit. I do the same when I see one around for the reason above. Easier to do that then let the cop get a hard on and waste my time for nothing.

What I really hate is when idiots stop in the middle of the road as soon as they hear a siren. I guess they don't know the reason for the siren is to alert people to get the fuck out of the way, not make it harder and more dangerous for the emergency vehicle to get past other cars.

Jeez, every state has morons. Cailfornia seems to have more because we are so big. Why don't you back off the Kool-aid for a second?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:39:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Reflex action. By the time they see the marked unit, its too late anyways, if they are going to be stopped.

Yeah if they're speeding I can see it being a natural reaction to hit your brakes, but everybody does it including those chronic speedlimit or less drivers.

I don't do it, and I figure if the cop wants me he already has me (I have never used any type of detector). Saying that, when I'm in Ohio, and on 4 wheels, I rarely speed. In Michigan, it is go time. I was going 85 on 275 one time and chick cop just went by at 90 or so, not on a run, but just out cruising. I think you have to be doing the ton up in Detroit to get pulled over, then again I was doing the ton during rush hour one day, and I wasn't the only one...

Wait, Micihgan is the only place where driving sucks more ass than Craplifornia.

Yeah they drive fast.  With no concept of lane discipline or courtesy.  Plus add all the huge ass, suspension breaking pot holes.

The only time I cheer when I see the OHSP JBT's fuck with someone is when said person is a Michigasshole.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:42:24 PM EDT
[#7]
You piss and moan about everything, take a midol why don't ya?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:46:51 PM EDT
[#8]
People are stupid.  Just today I saw a highway patrolman ahead talking to someone they pulled over.  Sure enough, the car in front of me slows to about 55, forcing me to break.  As soon as they go around the next bend, they start speeding.  Idiot.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:51:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

No!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:53:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

+1.

Let the sand out of your mangina and maybe piddly little shit won't bother you as much.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:56:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I always think it's funny when they hit the breaks when they see a policeman with someone pulled over in the other lane of the Interstate (going the other way).  It's especially strange when there's a cement meridian and several lanes of traffic between them.

I consider all people to be safety hazards.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:57:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I always think it's funny when they hit the breaks when they see a policeman with someone pulled over in the other lane of the Interstate (going the other way).  It's especially strange when there's a cement meridian and several lanes of traffic between them.

I consider all people to be safety hazards.

And you wonder why there are so many gapers delays on the expressways.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:19:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I speed up when they have another vehicle stopped, because they are busy. on the other hand, I was citing someone for speed one night, when I noticed a hearse being driven toward me in an erratic manner. I busted ass and issued the ticket as quickly as possible, then took off after the hearse. Sure enough the driver was drunker than a bear. Turned out he was transporting a deceased person from Nebrasksa to Arkansas and decided to drink a few beers along the way.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:20:51 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.

Let the sand out of your mangina and maybe piddly little shit won't bother you as much.  

F*** off!

Oh wait, sorry about that, I forgot some of ARFCOM thinks you're NOT  a troll.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:23:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.

F*** off!

Whatever dude.  I'm not going to start a shitstorm, just because you post about piddly little shit that pisses you off.

Get over it, dude.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:24:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.

F*** off!

Whatever dude.  I'm not going to start a shitstorm, just because you post about piddly little shit that pisses you off.

Get over it, dude.  

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:27:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.

F*** off!

Get over it, dude.  

I'll raise you one.  No wonder you got banned once already.  

Think about it...I'm not a troll, If I seriously were a troll the staff would have canned me by now.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:31:14 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

What is it with idiots that think the second they see a cop or highway patrol, they automatically have to slam on their brakes even if they were already only doing the speed limit or less?

]

'

DUH.   We've been conditioned to FEAR the police.    Besides, even if you aren't speeding, that doesn't guarantee the Man won't be pulling you over.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:35:34 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.

F*** off!

Get over it, dude.  

Think about it...I'm not a troll, If I seriously were a troll the staff would have canned me by now.  

I wasn't banned I told you that already. I got mistakenly locked and hence unlocked.

You are infact a but some people buy the "dumb little kid act". That's cool if people believe that. But I sure don't.

Anyway, carry on, I don't want to expose your act, people seem to like it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:39:58 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
If I am going the speed limit, and the heat is driving in traffic, I am not going to slow down, and I too hate those that feel the need to do 15 under when a cop is present.

Yup!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:41:06 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.

F*** off!

Get over it, dude.  

I wasn't banned I told you that already. I got mistakenly locked and hence unlocked.

You are infact a but some people buy the "dumb little kid act". That's cool if people believe that. But I sure don't.

Whatever dude...my give a fuck about what you think about me is broken.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:43:27 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.

F*** off!

Get over it, dude.  

Whatever dude...my give a fuck about what you think about me is broken.  

Relax, I'm just fucking with you. I don't know anything about you.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:56:18 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If I am going the speed limit, and the heat is driving in traffic, I am not going to slow down, and I too hate those that feel the need to do 15 under when a cop is present.

Yup!

A friend who is a cop, he has the problem that unless he under lights, it takes him forever to get anywhere. Drives him insane when travelling between meetings.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:02:42 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I like playing with the other drivers when they start this crap if I get on the highway. I do the speed limit, in the right lane for a few minutes and they gather. I slowly reduce speed to about 5 under & see how many will refuse to pass.

I've seen cops doing this.  I can tell they're fucking with people.

I don't hesitate to pass a cop at 5 over or so, let alone the speed limit.  Most cops aren't jerks enough to write a ticket for that.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:39:06 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Come and live in my town and you'll understand. When some asshole cop goes into a quiet neighborhood at 7AM writing just under a dozen tickets for wheels not being turn to or away from the curb (VERY shallow grades), it tends to color your view of a certain segment of government. No, this isn't an isolated incident either. I won't even bother going into the stories of my friends and co-workers being pulled over and getting a talk down from the police as to why they don't belong in a certain city. Of course, the apologists will dogpile shortly, but my opinion is formed and it would be pointless for you all.

LAPD are not nearly as pathetic as the ones in my town. I've done rolling stops, driven over the limit, changed lanes without signaling, etc. in less than desirable parts of Los Angeles. All these incidents happened before I noticed the police vehicle. None really seemed to give a shit.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:41:59 PM EDT
[#26]
And people wonder how so many accidents happen, it is because of imbred morons who have no buisness being behind the wheel. Slow and stupid drivers cause accidents,plain and simple.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top